Green Man 2020

This year having been my first GM, so I'm not too sure how many of these are realistic or if they've already played too recently. I'm aware I've under-represented some genres and lack a female headliner, but this is based upon my current personal long-list (of which I'd be happy with just a few)!

Headliners: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds; Kraftwerk; Sufjan Stevens; Jon Hopkins/Daphni/Bonobo

Mountain: Bill Callahan; Courtney Barnett; PJ Harvey; Midlake; Toro y Moi; Cate Le Bon; Kurt Vile and The Violators; Roisin Murphy; Unknown Mortal Orchestra; Melody's Echo Chamber; Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever; Ozomatli & Chali 2na; Soak; Television; Patti Smith; Stephen Malkmus; Jarvis Cocker; Richard Hawley; Billy Bragg; Savages.

Far Out: Oh Sees; The Joy Formidable; Goat; British Sea Power; Spiritualized; Iceage; Black Midi; Warmduscher; William Doyle; Kedr Livanksiy; AK/DK; Lavinia Blackwall; Nicholas Allbrook; Gnoomes; Working Men's Club; Hinds; The Lovely Eggs; Duds; Snapped Ankles; Pozi; Wooden Shjips; Hookworms; Crumb; James Holden; Max Richter; Nils Frahm; Mr Ben and The Bens; The Antlers.

Walled Garden: Damien Jurado; Arab Strap; The Imagined Village; This is The Kit; Rozi Plain; Peaness; India Electric Co; Half Man Half Biscuit; Matt Berry; Foxygen; Half Moon Run.

This will probably completely change come the new year. I hadn't heard of most of the bands I enjoyed this year at the equivalent point!

I was about to do the exact same post! Just filled out the survey as well. 

Think I’ll definitely be getting early bird tickets this year due to the disappointment of having to sell my ticket the weekend before.

Headliner wishlist: Sufjan Stevens, Portishead, LCD Soundsystem, Björk, Nick Cave, First Aid Kit, The National, Thom Yorke. Don’t think any of those are particularly likely and some are probably too big. 

Others that may be likely: Swans, Angel Olsen, Sandy Alex G, Weyes Blood, Bill Callahan, Fontaine’s, Black Midi. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JHad said:

This year having been my first GM, so I'm not too sure how many of these are realistic or if they've already played too recently. I'm aware I've under-represented some genres and lack a female headliner, but this is based upon my current personal long-list (of which I'd be happy with just a few)!

Headliners: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds; Kraftwerk; Sufjan Stevens; Jon Hopkins/Daphni/Bonobo

Mountain: Bill Callahan; Courtney Barnett; PJ Harvey; Midlake; Toro y Moi; Cate Le Bon; Kurt Vile and The Violators; Roisin Murphy; Unknown Mortal Orchestra; Melody's Echo Chamber; Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever; Ozomatli & Chali 2na; Soak; Television; Patti Smith; Stephen Malkmus; Jarvis Cocker; Richard Hawley; Billy Bragg; Savages.

Far Out: Oh Sees; The Joy Formidable; Goat; British Sea Power; Spiritualized; Iceage; Black Midi; Warmduscher; William Doyle; Kedr Livanksiy; AK/DK; Lavinia Blackwall; Nicholas Allbrook; Gnoomes; Working Men's Club; Hinds; The Lovely Eggs; Duds; Snapped Ankles; Pozi; Wooden Shjips; Hookworms; Crumb; James Holden; Max Richter; Nils Frahm; Mr Ben and The Bens; The Antlers.

Walled Garden: Damien Jurado; Arab Strap; The Imagined Village; This is The Kit; Rozi Plain; Peaness; India Electric Co; Half Man Half Biscuit; Matt Berry; Foxygen; Half Moon Run.

This will probably completely change come the new year. I hadn't heard of most of the bands I enjoyed this year at the equivalent point!

Most of those are reasonable suggestions for sure! PJ Harvey headlined in 2017 so unlikely to return so soon. Television also played relatively recently (either 2016 or 2017 I think) and not sure whether they tour that often. 

2 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

I was about to do the exact same post! Just filled out the survey as well. 

Think I’ll definitely be getting early bird tickets this year due to the disappointment of having to sell my ticket the weekend before.

Headliner wishlist: Sufjan Stevens, Portishead, LCD Soundsystem, Björk, Nick Cave, First Aid Kit, The National, Thom Yorke. Don’t think any of those are particularly likely and some are probably too big. 

Others that may be likely: Swans, Angel Olsen, Sandy Alex G, Weyes Blood, Bill Callahan, Fontaine’s, Black Midi. 

Haha! Sorry to steal your thunder!

I hope you're able to make it next year. I loved your Playlist and advice for 2019 and was gutted for you that you couldn't go.

LCD, Portishead and Björk are three more I'd be delighted with. I'd never say no to The National either, but would prefer someone I hadn't seen.

I think the Four Tet slot went down really well this year so wouldn't be surprised if another major left field electronic artist played a similar Saturday night set, hence the suggestions of Jon Hopkins/Daphni/Caribou/Bonobo. Of course, it could be Kraftwerk!

2 hours ago, JHad said:

I think the Four Tet slot went down really well this year so wouldn't be surprised if another major left field electronic artist played a similar Saturday night set, hence the suggestions of Jon Hopkins/Daphni/Caribou/Bonobo. Of course, it could be Kraftwerk!

Would seem quite likely that they would try to replicate that but there’s not that many options. Hot Chip have already done it. Caribou have played high up already but don’t think they’ve gotten any bigger since then. Jon Hopkins is perhaps the only that could do it but just doesn’t seem likely in my opinion - Four Tet seems to have a much larger audience currently and greater crossover appeal. Boards of Canada is the dream but no chance of that. I could maybe see Underworld doing it. 

30 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Would seem quite likely that they would try to replicate that but there’s not that many options. Hot Chip have already done it. Caribou have played high up already but don’t think they’ve gotten any bigger since then. Jon Hopkins is perhaps the only that could do it but just doesn’t seem likely in my opinion - Four Tet seems to have a much larger audience currently and greater crossover appeal. Boards of Canada is the dream but no chance of that. I could maybe see Underworld doing it. 

Yes, JH would've been the most likely of the above IMO. However, he's touring in the spring at venues such as The Royal Albert Hall with an ensemble and apparently playing a grand piano. As great as that sounds, I imagine that he'd have to change tack significantly to step back into late night festival mode?

Headliners?

Underworld, Bjork, Courtney Barnett, Ezra Furman, Flaming Lips, Bonobo, The Jesus & Mary Chain

Undercard:

Sleaford Mods, Rolling Blackouts C.F, Johnny Marr, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Temples,  Songhoy Blues, Django Django, Fontaines D.C, Pip Blom, Roisin Murphy, The 2 Bears, Boy Azooga, Genghar, sir Was,  The Orielles, Honeyblood, LIFE, The Rythym Method, Buzzard Buzzard Buzzzard, Working Men's Club, Mattiel, Sports Team, Mush, Simon Love.

• Like 1

Lots of older bands being suggested. The past two years one of the headliners has been a bit of a curve ball so I suspect something similar. Maybe another dance headliner? Jon Hopkins would have fitted the bill but the tour he’s just announced sounds very experimental. Possibly bonobo but Caribou hasn’t released anything in four years and wasn’t anywhere near headline status back then 

All I know is that I’ll definitely be there and can’t wait to discover some fantastic new music when the lineup gets announced.

37 minutes ago, rug568 said:

Lots of older bands being suggested. The past two years one of the headliners has been a bit of a curve ball so I suspect something similar. Maybe another dance headliner? Jon Hopkins would have fitted the bill but the tour he’s just announced sounds very experimental. Possibly bonobo but Caribou hasn’t released anything in four years and wasn’t anywhere near headline status back then 

All I know is that I’ll definitely be there and can’t wait to discover some fantastic new music when the lineup gets announced.

You're right! I've just had a nosy through the Clashfinders for the past 8/9 editions and was surprised to see how many of my suggestions have played before and intrigued by the relative positions on the bill of quite a few!

I think we're in pretty safe hands by the looks of it though!

1 hour ago, JHad said:

You're right! I've just had a nosy through the Clashfinders for the past 8/9 editions and was surprised to see how many of my suggestions have played before and intrigued by the relative positions on the bill of quite a few!

I think we're in pretty safe hands by the looks of it though!

I meant the relative age of the bands to be honest. Most of the bands suggested so far are from the 90s and early 00s

1 hour ago, rug568 said:

I meant the relative age of the bands to be honest. Most of the bands suggested so far are from the 90s and early 00s

I see! Sorry, I misunderstood 'old' in this context as 'not new to the festival'.

I do agree though and I think it's becoming more and more the case outside of pop festivals. Why do you think that is?

I hadn't heard of a large number of the bands I enjoyed this year 12 months ago, so I imagine similar discoveries happen for many people most years - a huge joy of such festivals. I guess the field of older bands touring/likely to be booked fairly high on the bill is more limited and therefore easier to suggest than those still rising in status? Or do you think it's more experience seeking/box ticking in that those older bands tend to be harder to see/more expensive? I guess they also may evoke memories in a crowd for whom many will have grown up with those bands? Or am I just spouting nonsense?!

20 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Just saw Black Country New Road. They were fantastic. Far Out slot for them next year please. 

More importantly, though, we need to get Jenny Hval in the Far Out tent as a matter of urgency. The new album is ridiculous.

P.s. same applies for Angel Olsen. She could maybe headline! 

Agree with everything. Plus the murder capital. 

On 9/15/2019 at 12:01 AM, lessthanwill1 said:

Just saw Black Country New Road. They were fantastic. Far Out slot for them next year please. 

More importantly, though, we need to get Jenny Hval in the Far Out tent as a matter of urgency. The new album is ridiculous.

P.s. same applies for Angel Olsen. She could maybe headline! 

Totally appreciating the urgency here, 'ridiculous' is an excellent way to put it. 

I managed to bag (literally) the last ticket for the Barbican performance next week. Imagine its going to be intensely ridiculous live. 

On 9/15/2019 at 8:12 PM, rug568 said:

Agree with everything. Plus the murder capital. 

YES to Murder Capital. Their End of the Road set was up there with the best things I've encountered in a long time (across any art form! serious hyperbole, but I mean it..!), all this eddying intensity and coiled rage, but shot through with so much delicacy and eloquence – so close to the experience of grief, that doubling of SO ALIVE and SO CONSCIOUS of it all hurtling towards that ultimate nothing. Green & Blue in particular was some major, heady, being-altering catharsis.

Can't remember if I saw it posted here, apologies for a double post if so, but this review (The Spectator, of all places) goes some way towards capturing it with less of the emoting and embellishment I'm managing !  

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/09/the-most-exciting-band-i-have-seen-for-years-and-years-the-murder-capital-reviewed/

Edited by rararachel