Truck 2020

Tonybyates

45 minutes ago, CharlieDaRapper said:

So do we think that The Wombats will get announced for Truck this year following their recent festival announcements or are they ruled out after their co headline slot at All Points East with The Kooks?

Wouldn't necessarily rule it out but I presume they would've been announced in the first wave if they were gonna be there.

53 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Looking to fit in one more festival and was quite surprised at how solid the undercard is. For anyone who’s been previously, what’s the festival like? Crowd, vibe, late night entertainment etc? 

Done the festival the last two years in a row and gutted I can’t make it this year as it’s really awesome.

Bear in mind the capacity has increased so it felt considerably busier last year than it did the year before so worth considering Thursday entry to get a good camping spot, I’d say the best camping spots are just opposite the market stage in the campsite as it means you literally have less than a 5 min walk to the arena.

Overall the festival has a really nice vibe, family friendly but you get a mix of all ages and there really is something for everyone. Good and reasonably priced food options too and pretty easy to get alcohol in through the gates, nice decorations around the arena too.

Always got a good crowd too just depends on the particular act, Dodie had one of the worst and most annoying crowds I’ve ever been in last year but foals and wolf alice had awesome crowds, similar with sea girls, so just depends on the act really but overall you can expect a good and friendly crowd :)

Arena stays open until 2am with palm city(late night djs running until 1:45am), they have plenty of other stages and a silent disco running until this time too so you won’t be stuck for choice. Main stage ends about 11/11:30pm. Past 2am though there’s nothing really to do apart from go back to your tent and sleep(or go to the charity tent and start a rave in there but they get pretty angry and kick you out 🤣).

Its a really great festival and good value too, always got a really strong line up and is definitely worth considering going to.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Always got a good crowd too just depends on the particular act, Dodie had one of the worst and most annoying crowds I’ve ever been in last year but foals and wolf alice had awesome crowds, similar with sea girls, so just depends on the act really but overall you can expect a good and friendly crowd :)

I only saw the last 2/3 songs dodie did... was her crowd that bad?

For me, the most tedious was Kate Nash's crowd. It was pretty obvious she was not going to play Foundations straight off the bat and yet barely 2 songs in there were people throughout chanting for her to play it.

Edited by charlierc

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I only saw the last 2/3 songs dodie did... was her crowd that bad?

For me, the most tedious was Kate Nash's crowd. It was pretty obvious she was not going to play Foundations straight off the bat and yet barely 2 songs in there were people throughout chanting for her to play it.

Dodie got much better towards the end but people were just chatting and shouting over her and because she has such a mellow voice it was actually impossible to hear her singing... “in the middle” at the end was good where she got everyone jumping.

I was at Kate nash as well and I agree, but I think the issue is most people only know foundations... and therefore everyone spent the whole 45 min set waiting for it!

Edited by FestivalJamie

10 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Dodie got much better towards the end but people were just chatting and shouting over her and because she has such a mellow voice it was actually impossible to hear her singing... “in the middle” at the end was good where she got everyone jumping.

I was at Kate nash as well and I agree, but I think the issue is most people only know foundations... and therefore everyone spent the whole 45 min set waiting for it!

Yeah one of the ones I saw was In The Middle and the crowd was pretty vibey for that one. But its a shame the bit before then was less fun due to that.

And true - I can't lie as that's the only Kate Nash song I know as well. But I felt the deal was it would only surface at the end and I thought I would indulge the other stuff.

There was nothing as bad as the crowd I had at a Kings of Leon gig in Birmingham in 2017 though, which I found to be full of agitations.

• Upvote 1

On 2/20/2020 at 8:47 PM, charlierc said:

I was pretty surprised by the scale of the thing as I thought it wasn't meant to be a huge festival - was certainly more people than I expected.

Which might explain why the Monday morning traffic getting out of the thing was so awful. Or at least it did from images I saw on Twitter, given I left pretty much straight after 2 Door finished their thing.

Yeah the Monday morning traffic was awful, single file queues and little movement. I had learnt from leaving Reading festival 2014 on the Monday a few years ago: you have to leave as early as possible, and quite a few people have rinsed their car batteries charging stuff over the weekend so you think you are queuing but are actually waiting behind someone who is broken down! I always scout ahead on foot and check whether I'm in an actual queue.

The main reason it was so backed up is because after leaving the site you drive at about 2mph down a tight country lane full of pedestrians leaving on foot, stopping to drop their heavy belongings and rest, often in the middle of the road. When you finally make it to the end of the road your first re-entry into standard civilisation is by attempting to join a very busy main road very similar to the photo below (its not this one but same area) - on this road very few roadusers will let you merge. Not a single steward or member of Truck personell is stationed along this road to help this situation.

017acc5671b8edda3cb00fa266133aaf.jpg

Howdy.

Anyone done Truck and stayed in a hotel before? (Love festivals, hate tents). Unless I'm reading the maps wrong it looks like the entrance is to the East of the site and an easy walk to Mill Hill House which was one option, or not much further to the Premier Inn/Marriott just off the A34 junction? Just checking there's no road closures or diversions and if they're doable on foot?

Also, was looking at not staying the Sunday night and getting a train back to London straight from the festival. If I stayed for Catfish (who I think would finish at like 10.30pm based on previous Sunday timings?) any reason why I'd struggle to get to Didcot Parkway by the last train at 11.53pm? Looks like there's still festival buses running but if anyone else had issues getting the last ones on the Sunday (I'm assuming other people might have the same idea?) or a taxi at that time? 

Thanks in advance.

I'm with you on hating tents!  We stayed at the Premier Inn last yr and it was perfect for us. It's a good 35-40 minutes walk to the site, uphill most of the way. Half of the walk is paved the rest is on the tracks used for the festival traffic or cutting through the car park fields.  Lighting was pretty much non-existent on the tracks so the walk back to the main road was fun! 

The hotel also had a Mcdonalds alongside it and a garage that opened late. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, wackamole said:

Yeah the Monday morning traffic was awful, single file queues and little movement. I had learnt from leaving Reading festival 2014 on the Monday a few years ago: you have to leave as early as possible, and quite a few people have rinsed their car batteries charging stuff over the weekend so you think you are queuing but are actually waiting behind someone who is broken down! I always scout ahead on foot and check whether I'm in an actual queue.

The main reason it was so backed up is because after leaving the site you drive at about 2mph down a tight country lane full of pedestrians leaving on foot, stopping to drop their heavy belongings and rest, often in the middle of the road. When you finally make it to the end of the road your first re-entry into standard civilisation is by attempting to join a very busy main road very similar to the photo below (its not this one but same area) - on this road very few roadusers will let you merge. Not a single steward or member of Truck personell is stationed along this road to help this situation.

Yeah I found the journey out of the festival site each night a bit messy with pedestrians heading out to hotels. I stayed in a cheap hotel/BnB hybrid in Abingdon, so drove out each night. Friday was probably the worst given the rain fell down really heavily, which made it particularly difficult.

At the very least, joining the main road was easier in the night time runs than I get the feeling I would've found out in the day time. I did hear from my cousin getting out of the festival site about the issues, but I think she was near the back and not having the further issues with resting pedestrians.

With any luck it'll be sorted out for this year.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mcbatesman said:

Hot chip, everything everything and jade bird announced for Standon calling, wouldn't mind any of them! 

Hot Chip would be incred, been on my watchlist for years.

11 hours ago, charlierc said:

Yeah I found the journey out of the festival site each night a bit messy with pedestrians heading out to hotels. I stayed in a cheap hotel/BnB hybrid in Abingdon, so drove out each night. Friday was probably the worst given the rain fell down really heavily, which made it particularly difficult.

At the very least, joining the main road was easier in the night time runs than I get the feeling I would've found out in the day time. I did hear from my cousin getting out of the festival site about the issues, but I think she was near the back and not having the further issues with resting pedestrians.

With any luck it'll be sorted out for this year.

I'd hope they'd spend a bit more money on infrastructure of the festival - namely roadside and carpark stewards. But if I was a volunteer/ low paid hungover stweard I know i'd piss off on the Monday morning haha. I left 2018 sunday night at 11:45 and it was such a great descision but boring that I was sober for Courteeners and theres no chance I will be for Catfish!

1 hour ago, y0ungtitan said:

Really hoping for Everything Everything or Glass Animals as the last sub

A few pages back it was said that loyle carner is the last sub. However not sure if this is confirmed information or not: everything everything are at standon so definitely a possibility, don’t think glass animals are such a possibility though 

3 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

A few pages back it was said that loyle carner is the last sub. However not sure if this is confirmed information or not: everything everything are at standon so definitely a possibility, don’t think glass animals are such a possibility though 

Loyle carner then subsequently got announced as a wilderness headliner, pretty much ruling him out 

13 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Yeah that was me -- not sure if it's happening anymore, thought it would've been in the first announcement if it was. I think it's still the most likely, especially now that he's subbing Bombay at APE but I'd still rather the other two 😛

List of potential bookings for Truck festival 2020 

Sub under Bombay Bicycle Club

• Jamie T or 
  • Loyle Carner or
  • The Wombats or
  • Idles or
  • Everything Everything 

Other acts 

• Django Django
  • Fontaines D.C
  • Liz Lawrence 
  • Declan Welsh & The Decadent West
  • Dune Rats 
  • Kashmere 
  • Sea Girls
  • Goat Girl 
  • Girl Band
  • Bad Sounds 
  • Sophie & The Giants
  • Vant
  • Casey Lowry
  • Jaws 
  • Swimming Tapes 
  • Hollow Coves 

Palm City 

• George Fitzgerald 
  • Haai 
  • Hannah Wants
  • Mall Grab 
  • Denis Sulta

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dim Sum said:

Sub under Bombay Bicycle Club

• Jamie T or 
  • Loyle Carner or
  • The Wombats or
  • Idles or
  • Everything Everything 

Other acts 

• Django Django
  • Fontaines D.C
  • Liz Lawrence 
  • Declan Welsh & The Decadent West
  • Dune Rats 
  • Kashmere 
  • Sea Girls
  • Goat Girl 
  • Girl Band
  • Bad Sounds 
  • Sophie & The Giants
  • Vant
  • Casey Lowry
  • Jaws 
  • Swimming Tapes 
  • Hollow Coves 

Palm City 

• George Fitzgerald 
  • Haai 
  • Hannah Wants
  • Mall Grab 
  • Denis Sulta

Bolded the ones I’d be happy with. Yes please to any of them. Bad Sounds are already on the lineup tho haha