Memory foam and pocket sprung mattresses

Juliecow

Hi all. Would be most grateful for any opinions or advice on a few issues surrounding a new mattress.

The wife and I are looking at getting a new bed. We're of the opinion that a bed is something you shouldn't scrimp on in terms of how much you spend, so we're looking at the "better" types of mattress.

A bit of pre-shopping research suggested the two best types are pocket sprung mattresses and memory foam mattresses. In the shop, the ones that caught our eye and that we found most comfortable were a hybrid of the two i.e. mainly pocket sprung, but with a top layer of memory foam.

We've seen one that we want and I was going to phone back tomorrow and order it. However, since then I've read a few less than favourable things online about memory foam mattresses. A fair few reports say that they make you sweat a lot more at night. Also, a few people have said that sex in them is much harder work because of the lack of springs!!!

So I wondered if anyone had any personal experience of memory foam mattresses and what your thoughts were? Would you reccommend them?

Also, I was a little unclear on whether the sweating and lack of bounce issues applied to the hybrid mattresses like I've been looking at - or whether they only apply to the pure memory foam ones?

Thanks in advance.

I bought one of the Simba mattresses and honestly it's the best thing I've ever bought.

Sex is definitely softer, I guess it's down to personal preference but the mattress doesn't make as much noise.

not noticed anything different about sweating. 

The comfort and night sleep is definitely an improvement 

Odd first post

Anyway - Waterbed is the way forward. If you have a back in action shop near you go and try them out. Amazing things. Wife had back issues which were cured (sort of , still gets issues if out say camping for a bit) by the bed. It is not all waves and what you expect. Amazing sleep and there are no pressure points and you are essentially floating.

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I agree.

The same question is asked here (see link below), but the user name isn't the same;

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/1670737/memory-foam-and-pocket-sprung-mattresses

And they never came back on that thread either. Plus they seem to start a lot of threads asking what they should buy

• 3 years later...