2020 headliners

RustySpanner

Anyone else doubling down on their dreams of the impossible after the new Nick Cave album? I would sacrifice all other line up aspirations for a performance of that album on a startlingly cold, breath-in-plumes, larmer tree night. 

I saw Jenny Hval doing Practice of Love a few weeks back at the Barbican. Feel like the venue was all wrong, but it was quite brilliant (and .. I hate this word.. feels lazy... but bizarre.. ritualistic and playful) 

Has stayed with me persistently. The most staged and developed I’ve seen her in terms of performance elements, not all of it worked (I mean literally, but I remain unsure if the tech “glitches” were actually part of the conceit — some definitely were, others.. less clear). I hung around too long on tickets waiting for a non-committal friend and ended up right at the very back of the balcony so some of it was lost on me. Feel like it needed more intimacy and lights being up half the show made it all even more distant and formal in Milton Court. Would be VERY GOOD in the context of the Woods/forest (obviously most likely big top.. but my god.. the talking heads stage would be insane given the props/stage/themes — spoiler alert.. there’s a tent, and of course the lyrics are replete with trees). Not sure she’ll stage it the same for festivals, however, would have to be a special effort. 

• Upvote 2

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:55 AM, Yoss said:

That'd be great, but she's going to be in high demand next summer.  And if it's a straight fight with Green Man, they're a bit bigger.

She did GM in 2017 so maybe a bit close.

My guesses for the 2020 headliners at this stage would be Angel Olsen, Wilco and either Idles or King Gizzard, both of whom have been rapidly growing their way up the festival lineup orders. I think Wilco must be hot contenders. They headlined a few years ago, Jeff Tweedy has played at least a couple of times (I think) and seems to be matey with Simon, and they have a new album out (which sadly is a bit dull tune-wise). All would be decent headliners, but as has been said many times before, EOTR is probably even more important for the wide breadth of quality found elsewhere onsite.

1 hour ago, eagles69 said:

I wonder where Big Thief would appear if they play again as with two amazing albums this year. Their popularity is growing rapidly. I think they could easily headline the garden stage

I think they probably could, although I was underwhelmed with their last performance there, when sound problems seemed to throw them. It occurred to me that The Twilight Sad would be another great Garden headliner. They have the folk credentials, with some fairly harrowing earlier tracks, plus some noisy indie anthems these days.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, paulwa said:

I think they probably could, although I was underwhelmed with their last performance there, when sound problems seemed to throw them. It occurred to me that The Twilight Sad would be another great Garden headliner. They have the folk credentials, with some fairly harrowing earlier tracks, plus some noisy indie anthems these days.

I was lucky enough to see them at Best Kept they were amazing. Definitely an off day for them at EOTR hopefully the sound problems don't put them off coming back

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, paulwa said:

I think they probably could, although I was underwhelmed with their last performance there, when sound problems seemed to throw them.

They were stellar at Green Man. With the reviews Two Hands is getting and with UK dates in February to bolster that reputation they might even be a Friday Woods headliner candidate, depending on whether/when Olsen is over.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

4 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

I saw Richard Hawley at the Roundhouse last night ; he would be superb on the Garden Stage.

He certainly would but I knew someone who knew him and was told that he doesn't like doing festivals. Not even that keen on touring apparently.