2020 headliners

RustySpanner

10 minutes ago, Jeel said:

I'm not sure the festival could cope with that many Idles t-shirts!

Every time we go to a gig we play the "first person to spot an Idles t-shirt wins" game. Doesn't normally last more than 2 minutes.

I wonder if everyone wearing one acknowledges each other like bus drivers do when they drive past another bus?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, WM Hall said:

Wasn't supposed to be insulting of those bands, just they would require very little imagination to book. Also I don't like them

Ditto.  We had a running joke throughout the festival about the number of Idles t-shirts on display. Easily the most popular merchandise on display over the weekend. 

1 hour ago, sthorpe said:

What I love about this festival is that the lineup always takes me by surprise and I get nowhere near in terms of predictions.

No harm in trying though:

Thurs - Beach House

Fri - Angel Olsen

Sat - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Sun - Idles

Also wonder if the Pixies are on Simon's radar?

Would also love to see (based on the new albums I have enjoyed this year):

WH Lung, Big Thief, Whitney, Comet is Coming, Modern Nature, Jason Lytle, Marika Hackman, Soft Cavalry, Jane Weaver.

Whatever we get, I know it will be fun...

Yes to this set of headliners! Substitute any with The Pixies and I'm still happy :-)

1 hour ago, Sean1234321 said:

The majority of them will be in the AF Gang so yes, they do exactly that actually.

Just googled that. Didn't even know it was a thing. Funny to think that one year and 2 days ago they played a pub in Portsmouth to about 60 people.

4 hours ago, benali said:

Every time we go to a gig we play the "first person to spot an Idles t-shirt wins" game. Doesn't normally last more than 2 minutes.

I wonder if everyone wearing one acknowledges each other like bus drivers do when they drive past another bus?

We like to play "first person to spot the cantankerous douchebag" 

• Like 2

On 9/4/2019 at 7:48 PM, SweepingTheNation said:

Idles' festival booking this year has been very weird, they haven't come near to main stage headlining (AFAIK) and one weekend played five UK festivals in three days with the aid of 2pm Special Guest slots.

It's been about getting them in front of as many people as possible. Maybe if they reduce commitments to do recording next year they'd be headline somewhere.  

2 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Bonnie Prince Billy new album announced. Possible Garden headliner?

With regards to the survey, I went for David Byrne, Angel Olsen and Death Grips. No, I'm not joking.

Bonnie Prince Billy on the garden stage would be just gorgeous. Great call for Death Grips. Personally I would love it. 

1 hour ago, WM Hall said:

damn, Death Grips on the Woods would be mental. wouldn't get a very big crowd though, I don't think... imagine how many people don't like Death Grips

Yeh it wasn't so much that I expect them to be booked to headline the Woods stage. I knew that every second person would put Nick Cave, LCD Sounsystem etc and so thought I'd just chuck Death Grips' name out there as I think they'd actually be a really good fit for the festival. Late night big top slot would be mental. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on the possibility of Midlake playing in 2020?

I'm sure Eric Pulido's comments during his set this year ("..maybe I'll come back next year with some friends") were light-hearted but they have played before, like the festival and Simon is a fan. Plus EOTR has history of getting acts returning after a hiatus. 

I've no idea if they'd still be headliner status now though. 

16 hours ago, Lester_Freamon said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the possibility of Midlake playing in 2020?

I'm sure Eric Pulido's comments during his set this year ("..maybe I'll come back next year with some friends") were light-hearted but they have played before, like the festival and Simon is a fan. Plus EOTR has history of getting acts returning after a hiatus. 

I've no idea if they'd still be headliner status now though. 

Be nice if they did - I got my photo with them last time they played, the first time that Eric was on sole frontman duties after Tim Smith left, but I sadly feel their star has waned a little.  I watched EB The Younger and whilst it was decent, I was just stood there thinking "It's nowhere near as good as Midlake"

I guess they'd need to be promoting a new record, to justify a touring budget etc. Hope to see them back though - the Bella Union association always helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard in Leeds on Wednesday, would love them to play next year!

What slot do you think they would do if they did play? Would love them headlining the Garden, but seeing as they headlined Green Man last year and have just sold out Ally Pally (~10,000 people) this might be optimistic...  

43 minutes ago, Tomos_ said:

Saw King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard in Leeds on Wednesday, would love them to play next year!

What slot do you think they would do if they did play? Would love them headlining the Garden, but seeing as they headlined Green Man last year and have just sold out Ally Pally (~10,000 people) this might be optimistic...  

They'd headline Woods