Open'er 2020

mln

Just now, Ken19 said:

They missed them last year? 

Yeah, and this year it's some sort of 'compensation'. From The Cure facebook profile: "THIS IS A PROMISED/OUTSTANDING DATE WE WERE UNABLE TO PLAY ON OUR 2019 TRAVELS, AND WILL BE OUR ONLY EURO FESTIVAL OF 2020… WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE!”"

Seems like they had a deal but something didn't work out?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mln said:

Yeah, and this year it's some sort of 'compensation'. From The Cure facebook profile: "THIS IS A PROMISED/OUTSTANDING DATE WE WERE UNABLE TO PLAY ON OUR 2019 TRAVELS, AND WILL BE OUR ONLY EURO FESTIVAL OF 2020… WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE!”"

Seems like they had a deal but something didn't work out?

Or the schedule didn’t fit. But this is a c/d plan that turns out very good. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

How hard is it to sneak stuff in? 👀

The exits from the areas where you can drink 'normal' alcohol are usually guarded by two security guards, so if you have enough luck and choose the right moment (e.g. when there are lots of people coming in and out), your mission may be succesfull :) However, it is very hard to bring any alcohol from the outside of the festival.

Edited by mln

38 minutes ago, mln said:

The exits from the areas where you can drink 'normal' alcohol are usually guarded by two security guards, so if you have enough luck and choose the right moment (e.g. when there are lots of people coming in and out), your mission may be succesfull :) However, it is very hard to bring any alcohol from the outside of the festival.

Damn, that does sound rather off-putting. Although I may be going with a girl, so perhaps she can just hide stuff in her bra 😅

Other than the stupid alcohol rules, is it still a decent fest?

33 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Damn, that does sound rather off-putting. Although I may be going with a girl, so perhaps she can just hide stuff in her bra 😅

Other than the stupid alcohol rules, is it still a decent fest?

It's quite inconvenient, but not really that bad. These areas with normal alcohol are right next to the 'music areas', so you can make a quick stop for a drink between gigs :) 

Other than that, the campsite facilities are rather limited (not enough showers etc.), and the distance between stages are quite big (like 10 minutes between Main Stage and Tent Stage, but I guess it's normal for such a big festival). And the biggest drawback - unpredictable weather. This year it was around 17°C during the day and even 10°C at night. On the other hand, there were editions with 4 days full of sun and great temperatures (it's pretty important as the big advantage of Open'er is its location, at the seaside, with a beautiful beach nearby).

I've been coming back to Open'er since 2011 and it will be my 10th edition, so I can definitely recommend it. The line-up so far is quite good (especially Wednesday and Saturday) and there are still around 15-20 international acts to come.

6 minutes ago, mln said:

It's quite inconvenient, but not really that bad. These areas with normal alcohol are right next to the 'music areas', so you can make a quick stop for a drink between gigs :) 

Other than that, the campsite facilities are rather limited (not enough showers etc.), and the distance between stages are quite big (like 10 minutes between Main Stage and Tent Stage, but I guess it's normal for such a big festival). And the biggest drawback - unpredictable weather. This year it was around 17°C during the day and even 10°C at night. On the other hand, there were editions with 4 days full of sun and great temperatures (it's pretty important as the big advantage of Open'er is its location, at the seaside, with a beautiful beach nearby).

I've been coming back to Open'er since 2011 and it will be my 10th edition, so I can definitely recommend it. The line-up so far is quite good (especially Wednesday and Saturday) and there are still around 15-20 international acts to come.

That doesn't sound too bad then!

Tbh I'm just thinking of coming on the Saturday, maybe the Friday too. Think it would be viable to stay in the city and just travel to the festival each day?

4 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

That doesn't sound too bad then!

Tbh I'm just thinking of coming on the Saturday, maybe the Friday too. Think it would be viable to stay in the city and just travel to the festival each day?

No problem with that, there are free festival buses going between Gdynia Glowna Station and the festival site every 2-5 minutes (the trip takes 30-60 minutes, depending on the hour). Most of the people are staying in Gdynia, Sopot or Gdansk.

Edited by mln

12 hours ago, activean said:

I'm nominating that Saturday as candidate for "Strongest festival day 2020" 😃Likable lineup overall. 

yep, but Thursday is terrible so far... only 4 names though, so hopefully there will be some nice additions.

5 hours ago, curedtc said:

Hello, I have bought a ticket... Looks fab.
Is it easy to get back from the festival to Gdansk at night or worth staying up in Gdynia? 

It will be easier to stay in Gdynia, but there are SKM trains running from Gdynia Glowna to several stations in Gdansk, so it is plausible, but will take some more time. How about Sopot? It's closer to Gdynia. All those three cities are connected by SKM trains, which are very convenient and cheap and run 24/7.