Tribute Bands?

TheGoodWillOut

I like a tribute act at glastonbudget but at Glastonbury even though there’s hundreds of stages there’s lots of bands who would be desperate to play and don’t get to.

saying that I did enjoy bjorn again playing first on the pyramid but I’ve also enjoyed Rolf Harris, The Darkness and Hacienda Classical play similar slots.

On 9/4/2019 at 9:29 AM, Superscally said:

Seeing as we're never gonna get AC/DC, I'd be up for an Acca Dacca tribute somewhere ? 

Jeez man. I get people's point, but I just wanna see Angus duck walk across the pyramid. Get the band back together guys! Do it!!!

Get yourself to Bonfest a whole festival dedicated to Bon Scott.

On 9/5/2019 at 7:36 PM, grumpyhack said:

Where it gets really difficult for me ares the 'part' bands, where some original members have left or died.  What do the remaining members do - pack it in because the full original band is no more - or continue to earn/perform as a 'son of/spin off'?

Examples would be Ray Davies, who re-worked the Kinks stuff, most of which he wrote.  His Choral Kinks set remains one of my Glastonbury stand out moments, or The Who, who are only part of the original band or, for that matter, The Stones.  Others would include Jefferson Airplane/Starship or Roger McGuinn doing his Byrds stuff.

Totally agree with this.  There's a few brilliant tribute acts and 'part' bands around.  Who could hate the brilliant 'TortElvis' & his 'Dread Zeppelin'.  I also love what the 'Easy Star All Stars' are doing too.  What about bands like the Muffin Men and Dweezil Zappa with 'Zappa plays Zappa' or the Magic Band ?

I saw Jefferson Starship in the Cabin in Liverpool a few years ago now, it was a brilliant night.  Sadly Kantner is no longer with us.

Eavis' biggest regret was not managing to get the Grateful Dead booked in the early festival years.  I'd love to see John Mayer bring 'Dead an Company' over to the farm but because most Glasto goers won't have a clue what I'm on about, I know it will never happen.  Instead, I'd settle for the UK's 'Grateful Dudes' in a cafe or something, up in the green fields.  They are all excellent musicians, put on a great show and do a grate service for UK Deadheads!  Let's get them on the farm for 2020 !

Went to see Novana recently at a local venue and really enjoyed it. I never got to see Nirvana tour live so it was cool to go and see some of the songs done live and done very well. Ditto the bootleg Beatles are actually a band that i have planned to see but never made it to on various occasions. 

At Glasto it would be unlikely that i would go and see a tribute act, but i think that they do have a place, particularly on the Weds and Thursday nights where i think that they could be used to spread demand around the various stages and locations. I dont think that they should feature except on the micro stages from Fri - Sun. 

On 9/8/2019 at 10:29 AM, vintagelaureate said:

Not strictly a tribute band, more of a cover band but Rhytmn of the 90s (played Croissant Neuf twice) are brilliant. 90s dance music reworked with a live band.

Saw them at Concorde a couple of years ago, banging night out. Again, it's a little bit different from a tribute act so their existence didn't upset me :lol:

i have no problem with tribute bands at Glasto, although up til now i think the only ones i have seen have been Bjorn Again twice.

i am a big Bruce Springsteen fan - i have seen a fair few Bruce tributes, some have been brilliant, some have been dreadful, but all have been fun and if any one of them turned up somewhere on the farm i'd be there for sure.

there is also a guy who does an act called "Elvis does the Boss" (i think you can pretty much guess what it is from the name) - i've seen it so many times it is a bit tired (to me) now - but it is a great show and is brilliant fun and would go down a treat in some little stage somewhere...