Tribute Bands?

TheGoodWillOut

To be fair I've seen some blindin' tribute acts, Bjorn Again (Glasto 99); seen by accident as very drunken very early, Limehouse Lizzy, Elvana and TRexstasy to name a few, also, there used to be a local Floyd tribute (Masque) who were just stunning (as good if not better than the real thing, Bike anyone?).

Saw a Bowie tribute a while back and it was excellent, the attention to detail and the obvious love of the subject was clear, well worth the ticket price, a real tribute!

I think tribute bands have their place, especially if the real thing is now defunct and they work best when the band are real fans who love the artist and the music as you get a fan's setlist.

Some of 'em are dogshit though.

Edited by Barney McGrew

6 minutes ago, faymondo said:

Ducks for cover but I went to see The Bootleg Beatles over The Rolling Stones !!

Now that's just weird. I'm sure you have your reasons but the actual Stones in one field and you chose to see a pretend band in the next one?

Anyway... I've seen quite a few tribute acts over the years, there used to be a 3 day festival over August bank holiday in Liverpool which had loads of them on, it was always a good laugh until it was stopped for being too lairy. The thing was though, it was free. Happy to see a tribute band but refuse to pay to see one. 

There seems to be the same 4 tribute bands that somehow get a pass at Glastonbury, The Smyths, The Bootleg Beatles, Bjorn Again and the Fleetwood Mac one whose name escapes me. I also remember there being a Stones one who (I may have dreamt this) were booked to play The Rabbit Hole at the same time as the actual Stones? It just seems wrong to me.

I have somewhat hypocritically seen The Bootleg Beatles twice at Glastonbury. Once in the Acoustic and once on the Pyramid when they did the thing with the small orchestra but I would though rather it was an original band being given the spot. 

23 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

There seems to be the same 4 tribute bands that somehow get a pass at Glastonbury, The Smyths, The Bootleg Beatles, Bjorn Again and the Fleetwood Mac one whose name escapes me. I also remember there being a Stones one who (I may have dreamt this) were booked to play The Rabbit Hole at the same time as the actual Stones? It just seems wrong to me.

Also Sladist, but I think that's largely because they're mates with Michael. There was also a Pink Floyd tribute that used to play quite a bit about 15 years ago, and I think was associated with the crew than ran the Banyan Tree Cafe so disappeared when they did.

3 hours ago, Mardy said:

Hate them Hate them Hate them.

Grave-fucking, artistically-bankrupt money-grabbing arseholes without a molecule of creativity in their body. The antithesis of everything Glastonbury stands for. 

If the festival want to book them, the band want to play and the crowd are loving then why not? Were you stood at the back of the pyramid field with your arms crossed and a face on you like a pig licking piss off a nettle while everyone else enjoyed themselves? I find that hard to believe.

Glasto HQ obviously don't agree since they book numerous tribute bands every year. Each to their own I suppose.

4 minutes ago, incident said:

Also Sladist, but I think that's largely because they're mates with Michael. There was also a Pink Floyd tribute that used to play quite a bit about 15 years ago, and I think was associated with the crew than ran the Banyan Tree Cafe so disappeared when they did.

Of course Sladest! I watched them and they were ace. It's the Vodka Jellies Karaoke Band in disguise.

I take it all back, my stance for the next 30 minutes is that they're allowed on the Wednesday or Thursday. 

2 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

If the festival want to book them, the band want to play and the crowd are loving then why not? Were you stood at the back of the pyramid field with your arms crossed and a face on you like a pig licking piss off a nettle while everyone else enjoyed themselves? I find that hard to believe.

Glasto HQ obviously don't agree since they book numerous tribute bands every year. Each to their own I suppose.

I don’t go and see them. I won’t. What’s the point? There are 1000s of bands creating something new, trying to make beauty and art in the world, trying to find a way to express their emotions to another human being, trying to make a moment of connection by expressing themselves through something they’ve imagined. Why on earth would I waste my time with a tribute band. I find it baffling. In the same way you find my attitude baffling. Music fucking matters. Art and creativity is important. It’s the only fucking thing

• Upvote 1