Tribute Bands?

TheGoodWillOut

Bjorn Again and the Bootleg Beatles are of course festival regulars but which others have played or would you like to see grace a stage or two at Glasto?

i saw Queen Machine on Saturday night and it was brilliant with a very large 3000 plus crowd. They would absolutely go down a storm at the farm, everyone of all ages singing & dancing having a great time.  was a mint evening and not at all cheesy.

Touring arenas next year too. Highly recommend seeing them if you can 

I go to a Tributes Festival every year with my friends and it's an absolute blast!  But at Glastonbury?  No.  I did see The Bootleg Beatles a couple of years back but that was more or less by chance and I wouldn't go out of my way or look out to see a tribute act.  As others have said, there's too much else to see.

I've missed Bootleg Beatles at maybe 5 Glasto's but made the decision to finally see them this year as the competition wasn't as strong (for me) as previous years. They were absolutely fantastic, one of my sets of the weekend (and it was a very strong weekend). Would highly recommend to any Beatles fan who hasn't seen them yet, they exceeded everyone's expectations in my group at least.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

I've missed Bootleg Beatles at maybe 5 Glasto's but made the decision to finally see them this year as the competition wasn't as strong (for me) as previous years. They were absolutely fantastic, one of my sets of the weekend (and it was a very strong weekend). Would highly recommend to any Beatles fan who hasn't seen them yet, they exceeded everyone's expectations in my group at least.

Same. Saw them in 2017 randomly and was really impressed given the sound and change of costume through the years.

But in general I don't "get" tribute bands, especially going to a whole fake festival. It would feel really hollow, if that makes any sense...

I don't have any particular "wants" in this regard.. But I would suggest that tribute bands should only be booked as a occasional (mostly novelty) thing, and only in situations where there's no realistic prospect of the original act being able to do it in the foreseeable future. So occasional appearances from Bjorn Again or the Bootleg Beatles are one thing, but why book a Bon Jovi or Queen tribute if there's something resembling the real thing still kicking around?

I have no interest in tribute bands unless it's stuff like Brass Against (Rage Against The Machine with a brass section), Beatallica (the songs are a mix of Beatles & Metallica) or Elvana (Nirvana with Elvis fronting them), I can never really enjoy a straight tribute band as I'm just waiting certain songs rather than enjoying the performance.

Edited by jump

Not to be too much of a grumpus, but I'm kind of against tribute bands at Glastonbury. They're an easy booking and peeps go along because they know the songs will be familiar, but its somewhat at the expense of small up-and-coming bands who would otherwise fill that slot, or are playing elsewhere at the same time. I think the festival, especially the early afternoon should be for taking a punt on a band you've never heard before and maybe seeing something you love, or a future headliner. Tribute bands just fly in the face of that spirit - they're obvious, predictable, second-rate... It's tough enough for new bands to get recognition, and now they have to battle against a wedding band with the back catalogue of Queen?

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, incident said:

I don't have any particular "wants" in this regard.. But I would suggest that tribute bands should only be booked as a occasional (mostly novelty) thing, and only in situations where there's no realistic prospect of the original act being able to do it in the foreseeable future. So occasional appearances from Bjorn Again or the Bootleg Beatles are one thing, but why book a Bon Jovi or Queen tribute if there's something resembling the real thing still kicking around?

Agree with this. I can never see The Beatles, so i don't feel bad seeing The Bootleg Beatles. But generally if an original band is passed over in order to book a tribute band I just don't think that's fair. 

It's actually happening in most music venues these days and I'd hate for it to happen at Glastonbury. 

12 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Hate them Hate them Hate them.

Grave-fucking, artistically-bankrupt money-grabbing arseholes without a molecule of creativity in their body. The antithesis of everything Glastonbury stands for. 

I am with @Mardy on this - beautifully phrased!