worst ever festival sets

Crazyfool01

Rarely will you get a really bad set.  If something's not for you that doesn't make it bad - it's probably great for many others.

Metallica in 2014 were not to my taste.  It wasn't a bad set - just not one for me.  After the first ten minutes I went walkabout and came across Bryan Ferry doing a superb secret set somewhere tiny (sorry I can't even remember where).

One of the joys of Glastonbury is stumbling across something you'd never encountered before.  An example for me would be Gogol Bordello.  I'd never heard of them and Gypsy Punk meant nothing.  But again I was walking away from something that hadn't floated my boat and stumbled across them.

So "bad sets" can be a bonus as you'll probably discover a hidden gem.

On 9/4/2019 at 2:42 PM, Homer said:

Ride in 1994 - my favourite band at the time. Album came out on the Friday, they played pretty much the whole thing on the Saturday, complete with change of direction. Lots of very bored/stoned looking people staring at their shoes (but not in a good way).

Carnival of Light? I'm guessing that was not what the crowd were expecting!

16 hours ago, Mr Boo said:

It’s been said before, but worth repeating - Rob Stewart’s 2002 headline slot was a shocker. Probably didn’t help that Roger Waters had played a lot of Pink Floyd hits as sub. Rob seemed game and I remember he played plenty of his own hits, but from where I was standing the sound was terrible.
Just watched a few of the songs on youtube from that set and in fairness it’s sounds much better than I remember (not difficult), but if you look at the shots of the crowd they look bored (sorry don’t know how to upload videos)

it was when he said "this one is for our boys fighting in Afghanistan" he killed it. 

9 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Rarely will you get a really bad set.  If something's not for you that doesn't make it bad - it's probably great for many others.

Metallica in 2014 were not to my taste.  It wasn't a bad set - just not one for me.  After the first ten minutes I went walkabout and came across Bryan Ferry doing a superb secret set somewhere tiny (sorry I can't even remember where).

One of the joys of Glastonbury is stumbling across something you'd never encountered before.  An example for me would be Gogol Bordello.  I'd never heard of them and Gypsy Punk meant nothing.  But again I was walking away from something that hadn't floated my boat and stumbled across them.

So "bad sets" can be a bonus as you'll probably discover a hidden gem.

This....

surely a rare event when there is a mass walkout... it’s just personal taste.

i had to walk away from the Art Garfunkel’s Acoustic set in 2016 as I didn’t feel he could hold a tune in a bucket... many on here loved it though. 

Ferry btw was neither secret nor tiny (was on the poster as West Holts headliner).. I abandoned my wife there before he came on as I was taken unwell... I retired back up the hill to CV East only to be awoken by Metallica sounding like they were playing in the caravan!

1 hour ago, BlueDaze said:

This....

surely a rare event when there is a mass walkout... it’s just personal taste.

i had to walk away from the Art Garfunkel’s Acoustic set in 2016 as I didn’t feel he could hold a tune in a bucket... many on here loved it though. 

Ferry btw was neither secret nor tiny (was on the poster as West Holts headliner).. I abandoned my wife there before he came on as I was taken unwell... I retired back up the hill to CV East only to be awoken by Metallica sounding like they were playing in the caravan!

Garfunkel makes my point.  I loved it, though on thinking about it, I did walk away from Paul Simon a few years before (it was hissing with rain which didn't help).

On  Ferry, someone please help.  I'm sure there must have been a secret additional set as I'm sure it was indoors.  One thing I remember was that he had a superb woman drummer in the band.

2 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Garfunkel makes my point.  I loved it, though on thinking about it, I did walk away from Paul Simon a few years before (it was hissing with rain which didn't help).

On  Ferry, someone please help.  I'm sure there must have been a secret additional set as I'm sure it was indoors.  One thing I remember was that he had a superb woman drummer in the band.

Your memory is knackered not only did Ferry headline West Holts but it was glorious sunshine for Paul Simon the problem was his voice was fucked.

44 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I didn't walk away during Simon, but I did fall asleep.

We saw art Garfunkel in jersey about 18 years ago (he must have been hiding some cash from the tax man to play there) and he was actually very good. Wasn’t impressed and disappointed with his glasto performance 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

it was when he said "this one is for our boys fighting in Afghanistan" he killed it. 

You are correct! An okay album in retrospect (50% decent?) but not what the dr ordered at the time! They only played two old songs - Mousetrap (moshpit) and Chrome Waves (which is crap anyway!). The beginning of the end (before the recent renaissance) in retrospect.

On 9/2/2019 at 1:58 PM, Funkyfairy! said:

Marti Pellow - what a huge disappointment - I rarely (if ever) leave a set, but I left after 2 or 3 tracks, I was cringing lol

Hindsights a great thing - there was a massive crowd at Rolf and if he had not been a despicable individual we would all still be saying great singalong set where they had record early morning crowds !

@pie_and_a_pint am not really sure what folk expected from Marti.  It seems bizarre to identify an 80s/90s pop star playing a set full of mostly faithful interpretations of huge 80s/90s hits (I'm unsure of the genre - soft rock?  Blue eyed soul?) as "worst ever".  He was in good voice, friendly, brought a big band, and thanked the crowd and Glastonbury for booking him.  It was fun and I'd rather someone was effusive about the honour of playing Glastonbury than sneering about it.  Sets from just 2018 that in my opinion fell more on their arse or were personally disappointing, would include Mac DeMarco, Sons of Kemet, IDLES, Billie Eilish and arguably, and I'm a huge Blur and Gorillaz fan - The Good, The Bad and The Queen.

On 10/10/2019 at 10:21 PM, zeppelin said:

Err off the top of my head from Glastonbury:

- Foals on the Other Stage 

- Jack White subbing the Pyramid 

- Gorrilaz headlining 

I know I’m in a minority with this, but I enjoyed the Gorillaz set. Even if you didn’t like the music and visuals (I did), you have to admit that was an amazing bunch of special guests (Mark E Smith, Snoop Dogg, Shaun Ryder, Lou Reed and Bobby Womack).

Agree Jack White wasn’t at his best when he subbed.

Also Bruce Springsteen’s set must have been one for the fans. For me it seemed to go on for hours and hours. I should have walked away, but instead I waited for the set to get exciting - I just remember getting increasingly bored and that my feet were cold. I also thought he might play born in the USA, he didn’t.

Edited by Mr Boo

4 hours ago, Mr Boo said:

Also Bruce Springsteen’s set must have been one for the fans. For me it seemed to go on for hours and hours. I should have walked away, but instead I waited for the set to get exciting - I just remember getting increasingly bored and that my feet were cold. I also thought he might play born in the USA, he didn’t.

I'm a Springsteen fan generally and have seen some stunning shows but I have to admit that his Glasto appearance was a disappointment.  It was as though he 'didn't get' Glastonbury.  I'd be happy to see him return if better briefed.

4 hours ago, Mr Boo said:

I know I’m in a minority with this, but I enjoyed the Gorillaz set. Even if you didn’t like the music and visuals (I did), you have to admit that was an amazing bunch of special guests (Mark E Smith, Snoop Dogg, Shaun Ryder, Lou Reed and Bobby Womack).

Agree Jack White wasn’t at his best when he subbed.

My friends really enjoyed the Gorillaz set, I was just so underwhelmed and left. 

Ah man that Bruce set, it's like we're opposites. I was right at the front and loved every second of it!