worst ever festival sets

Crazyfool01

12 hours ago, grayzer1 said:

Jerry Dammers's spatial orchestra playing the West Holt's in 2010,an hour of my life I'm never getting back!

Arkestra not Orchestra and that might have been your problem it wasn't The Specials with an Orchestra it was mostly Sun Ra stuff and it was ace if your a fan of Jazz from outer space.

Worst at Glastonbury-

Morrissey 2011. His band is shit and he wasn’t much better. I’m sure he rearranged one of his own shows to do it and then phoned it in. Probably upset about the smell of meat and/or there being some non-Whites in the crowd.

Band of Horses 2016. Seen them before and they were great. Good tunes, jovial atmosphere. Just didn’t seem they wanted to be there. Made an already miserable day even more miserable.

Elsewhere I’ll add another +1 for Arctic Monkeys Leeds 2009.

13 hours ago, Quark said:

Surprised no-one's mentioned Shakin Stevens yet. Not there myself but I've only ever heard horror stories.

Does Bodger and Badger's car crash in Kidz Field count?

Me and someone else mentioned him a while back. Would have been a great singalong to remember had he not played through his entire new album. Dear oh dear, what a twat.

7 hours ago, mcshed said:

Arkestra not Orchestra and that might have been your problem it wasn't The Specials with an Orchestra it was mostly Sun Ra stuff and it was ace if your a fan of Jazz from outer space.

Yeah I knew it wasn't gonna be anything like the specials, but I just couldn't get into it and I like all types of music. Glad you enjoyed it though!

Bob Dylan is the most disappointing live act I've seen. I know he's terse and he's gone through a lot of musical evolution, but throw the audience a bone now and again Bob. We want to recognise at least one sing! It was made worse by a Singaporean audience: getting excited at gigs just doesn't seem a thing here.

Aside from the already mentioned Paul Simon (2010?), who was abysmal, I thought Laura Marling absolutely tanked on the Pyramid (maybe the same year), and massively regret leaving Broken Social Scene for Toots and the Maytals in '09. They were really, really flat and I've never got chance to see BSS again.

6 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Worst at Glastonbury-

Morrissey 2011. His band is shit and he wasn’t much better. I’m sure he rearranged one of his own shows to do it and then phoned it in. Probably upset about the smell of meat and/or there being some non-Whites in the crowd.

Band of Horses 2016. Seen them before and they were great. Good tunes, jovial atmosphere. Just didn’t seem they wanted to be there. Made an already miserable day even more miserable.

Elsewhere I’ll add another +1 for Arctic Monkeys Leeds 2009.

i LOVED THAT BAND OF HORSES ONE! MY HIGHLIGHT OF THE FESTIVAL. OOPS CAPS LOCK IS STUCK ON

1 hour ago, Hotchilidog said:

Wasn't just me then. A huge let down for a band I have a lot of time for.

58 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Band of Horses filled a bit of downtime between ELO and Beck and given the conditions we couldn't face schlepping too far.

But fuck me. I'm a broad-minded man, but come on.  I generally had a blast in 2016 despite the conditions, but this shower nearly did for me.

One of my biggest disappointments. I’d seen them a couple of times before at Glasgow Academy and they’d really got an atmosphere going. I’m a big fan but the JP Set was like a weird zombie version of them.

One of those rare times I was so upset I actually stopped listening to their records for a while. Not consciously, I just didn’t want to.

On 9/1/2019 at 8:48 PM, gherkin8r said:

Are you sure we don't have to agree? Are you saying taste in music is subjective? I was pretty sure it was absolute. 

Don't shit yourself man, if you don't like it then own it. No point in constantly apologising for not agreeing with everyone. 

He wasn't apologising tbf. 

4 hours ago, gorfield said:

Mumford and sons headlining.. I actually fell asleep stood up after the 25th banjo song

they are much better since they ditched the banjos

My all time favourite "overheard at a festival" concerns Mumford and Banjos. At NOS Alive in Portugal. 

Lass: "What's that Mumford and Sons song with the banjo?"

Lad: "All of them"

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:03 PM, gorfield said:

Mumford and sons headlining.. I actually fell asleep stood up after the 25th banjo song

they are much better since they ditched the banjos

I fell asleep during Mumford & Sons too, it was at a London day festival where Arcade Fire were headlining. I wasn't fussed with watching Mumfords so my mates went off into the crowd whilst I was stayed back and had a few drinks. I started nodding off till I split some of my beer on myself.  I was fucking knackered that day, I was out the night before and was at work in the morning. 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Worst I’ve ever seen was Lauryn Hill at Boomtown.

Did you actually wait around for her? I accidently saw her on the way to downtown after seeing Prophets Of Rage who were meant to have finished after her. For the few songs she did play she was alright, it was the long 10min monologue in the middle of the set that was really annoying.

On 10/11/2019 at 7:01 AM, kalifire said:

David Attenborough - where were the tunes?!! Plus he was only on for a few minutes. Came out, said a few words then left! Has to be the shortest set I’ve ever seen. Sheer audacity of the man. 

FWIW I was genuinely disappointed with Attenborough. Thought he’d have more to say than just “watch my new BBC show”.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

FWIW I was genuinely disappointed with Attenborough. Thought he’d have more to say than just “watch my new BBC show”.

A definite missed opportunity in terms of the love the farm message at the time ..... I know he mentioned the plastic bottle ban but he could have gone further