worst ever festival sets

Crazyfool01

58 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I really don't get this. I thought U2 were superb.

I get that some people (not necessarily you) think Bono's a tax-dodging twat, but if that's a problem, don't go and see U2.

I'm pretty sure if they'd put in the exact same performance the following night, then it'd be remembered a lot more fondly.

I thought it was pretty good, but it was absolutely chucking it down all evening and so everyone was very cold and wet which will massively affect perceptions. It did come across pretty well on TV despite the weather.

1 minute ago, incident said:

I'm pretty sure if they'd put in the exact same performance the following night, then it'd be remembered a lot more fondly.

I thought it was pretty good, but it was absolutely chucking it down all evening and so everyone was very cold and wet which will massively affect perceptions. It did come across pretty well on TV despite the weather.

I think the weather was a massive factor for ELO too. It was awful and it just seemed to get worse that weekend. the only reason I enjoyed coldplay later on was that I got incredibly smashed

11 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

The Cure

my worst ever set. just couldn't get in the groove. didn't know any songs, didn't play love cats.  I fell asleep. Just not my cup of tea. maybe perfect for a super fan, but for some one who knows 1 song and couldn't get in to the vibe. not for me 

You’ve never heard Boys Don’t Cry, Inbetween Days or Just Like Heaven? 

31 minutes ago, matichin said:

To be fair, the rain that night was horrendous. We were in the park fully waterproofed up dancing to Caribou, which was glorious, but the idea of just standing in the churn of the Pyramid in it, no thanks. As Bono cancelled the year before by doing his back in, not surprising he didn't want to break himself again live on stage.

Yeah, inasmuch as the band didn't perform particularly well that night, the atmosphere was brilliant, or it certainly seemed that way to me.

It had rained so hard for so long that people were way past the point of giving a shit and just decided to go with it.

Catfish on the Other in 2016 for me. girlfriend had quite liked the album so fancied checking them out. We both came away absolutely astounded at how shite they were. Terrible stage presence, awful patter between the songs, dressed like a wedding band. I already thought they were shite but I don’t think my girlfriend has listened to them since. 

12 minutes ago, HoTWire said:

Kings Of Leon at Reading 2009 ... went over after Faith No More had finished, went from one of the best gigs I've ever been to, to one of the worst things I've ever seen on stage, and I was there for Stone Roses in 1996 (also appalling shite)

Worst thing I've heard at Glastonbury is Kate Tempest yelling her GCSE homework from the West Holts stage.

Forgot about this set. Absolutely dreadful tantrums throughout the set. You can't write dross like sex on fire and use somebody, and throw a wobbly because that's all the crowd know. Self indulgent brats.

Caleb's "we hate kings of Leon too" rant, was pretty funny however. 

George Clinton & The Mothership Connection 2015. I LOVE P-funk and have seen George many times, including my favourite  gig of all time at Hammersmith Odeon in 1988. But this set turned into a rambling jam. He had a couple of great female singers that just weren't given a chance to shine. Shame, as I'd fancied a bit of "Brides of Funkenstein".

Closely followed by Primal Scream in 2005. Bobby G clearly off his face, lost his sh*t and ended up throwing a microphone stand at the crowd before being bundled off by security. Loads of boos and "Bobby you w*nker" shouts from the very large crowd.

And Springsteen in 2009 was just boring. Lasted 30 mins ?

19 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

You’ve never heard Boys Don’t Cry, Inbetween Days or Just Like Heaven? 

I don't know the names of the songs, maybe i was asleep when the played them. i might have known them but for the hour i was awake i didn't know anything 

Bob Dylan at Hyde Park BST this year.

No attempt to enunciate properly, or even sing in tune or in time. Really disappointed, even though I knew it was a possibility that this would happen.

I enjoyed Hawkwind this year (admittedly I didn't see many sets this year).

I've never seen a Cassette Boy set at The Glade that hasn't suffered from technical meltdowns (admittedly have missed him the last two festivals). 

Oh wow I almost forgot this one...it was so bad I think my brain must have tried to kill the cells storing the memory, but it has just come back to haunt me! .........

Sinead O'Connor - Acoustic Stage - 2008

...if set's could kill!

We only hung around because Seasick Steve was on next 

45 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Catfish on the Other in 2016 for me. girlfriend had quite liked the album so fancied checking them out. We both came away absolutely astounded at how shite they were. Terrible stage presence, awful patter between the songs, dressed like a wedding band. I already thought they were shite but I don’t think my girlfriend has listened to them since. 

I had eradicated this memory. Cheers

Tyler @ the JP

1975 pre Dolly (though I'm willing to give them a second chance)

That blonde lassy that was on before Beck who's name I've actually forgotten, despite her being fairly famous.

Wu11, U2 and Gorillaz have had some stick on here but there were some undoubted high points in all three. Wu get a shout out for bringing Meth at least!!

Err off the top of my head from Glastonbury:

- Foals on the Other Stage 

- Jack White subbing the Pyramid 

- Gorrilaz headlining 

Not at Glastonbury:

- Kanye at Big Chill. Not that I needed another reason to dislike the guy. A shame because his early stuff was so good! 

For each year I’ve been

2013 Beady Eye (primal scream pre stones a close runner and I’m a big fan normally)

2014 Interpol, I think they made a bad set choice and got cut short because of the rain 

2015 The Who why oh why did I not go to the Chems

2016 ELO

2017 that band who have lots of pineapples I forget their name, my god they were so dull I left to watch something mental in the Glade

2019 Lewis Capaldi (it was so hot we couldn’t be bothered moving, Noel is right!)

2020????

There’s a difference between an act playing a terrible set, and you personally not liking that act or that performance. The Who in 2015 was in no-way a terrible performance, indeed I thought it was a typically good performance from the band. But ultimately it’s probably not too many people’s idea of a Glastonbury headliner, so they were kinda doomed anyway. 

Dylan on the other hand can be a right train wreck.