worst ever festival sets

Crazyfool01

On 9/4/2019 at 7:49 AM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I quite like Radiohead but their 2017 set was shite. Say it was for the fans down the front all you like, but if you don't play to the whole audience you've done a crap job.

Blimey! I loved that set, and against the grain I like Pablo Honey! For the first time I really got the more experimental stuff that I really had a problem with. It was not a big crowd though, I had loads of room up by the tree at the back, but for me at least it was a really pleasant evening.

As for my own 'worst sets'. I have to say I rarely hang around if a set doesn't grab me, I was disappointed by Paul Simon and bizarrely by Band of Horses in 2016. I guess I am so wedded to their fist three albums but for me the set didn't work. 

On 9/4/2019 at 8:31 AM, Cooter said:

And I can't believe I'm saying it but Motorhead. One of my all time faves but so sad to see Lemmy quite literally on his way out. I've seen them many times before but this last time brought a tear to the eye. Rip Lem, you lived the life!

Sadly I had known for a while how ill Lemmy was and it looked every bit the valedictory performance and I was grateful to see it. It was a shame he had mixed AoS and Overkill at the end, but he really took it all in at the end of the show. I think he loved it, and it was nice to see him take a bow in front of not only a huge crowd in the field but the nation as a whole on TV. A world without Lemmy is very much a sadder one for me. RIP Lemmy!

• Upvote 1

On 9/2/2019 at 12:16 PM, eFestivals said:

Happy Mondays in the early 90s, when they cleared the pyramid field within a song or two.

I wasn't there in the early 90s, but I did see them on the Pyramid in 2000, which was simultaneously the worst and most entertaining performance of the weekend.  I seem to recall Sean Ryder just walked off in the middle of a song.

On 9/2/2019 at 2:54 PM, Hugh Jass said:

They [Primal Scream] were just as bad subbing the Stones. Someone needs to stop letting that boy near the Pyramid.

Yes that was shockingly bad, but then they did an absolutely amazing version of Moving On Up, and then reverted to utter shite again.

Edited by windy_miller

2 hours ago, matichin said:

Think the worst act i've ever seen at a festival is probably BRMC. I quite liked their album at the time, but Reading 2002 is the only live performance where I've fallen asleep while watching a band. Standing up too. Very very very boring.

BRMC are quite astonishing in that they are the rare breed of guitar band that can make incredibly good sounding studio songs but consistently fail to deliver live on stage. They just never look interested!

1 hour ago, Hotchilidog said:

Sadly I had known for a while how ill Lemmy was and it looked every bit the valedictory performance and I was grateful to see it. It was a shame he had mixed AoS and Overkill at the end, but he really took it all in at the end of the show. I think he loved it, and it was nice to see him take a bow in front of not only a huge crowd in the field but the nation as a whole on TV. A world without Lemmy is very much a sadder one for me. RIP Lemmy!

Well said. We too noticed the AoS and Overkill remix, it actually didn't sound too bad but obviously wasn't meant to happen. Poor old Lem, outstanding amongst the greatest musicians and bassists ever.

Edited by Cooter
  • Upvote 1

On 9/2/2019 at 11:11 AM, Andeeroo said:

The reasons are obviously well known but Amy Winehouse in '08 was the biggest trainwreck I think I've seen.

On 9/2/2019 at 7:06 PM, mashedonmud said:

That was so painful. I tried so hard to not dislike her because of the obvious issues she had. But it was her ranting that rattled me. The management of that poor lost soul needed to be held accountable. She needed a hospital bed more than she needed to be on that stage. Heartless bastards IMO. ?

This one was my first thought! Never seen a main-stage act so off her tits it was gut-wrenchingly sad.

For me it was however made much more entertaining due to a few guys next to us who had some sort of long-range catapult and were loading it with water-filled balloons and firing at the stage in Amy's general direction. Most shots were on or very near to the stage. I remember one hit the bass player (or close to) at which point the scenes of celebration and high-fives by the attackers were cut short when they realised a security detail had been sent out to hunt them down, so they legged it :)

Red Hot Chili Peppers at Reading 07, it was almost constant jazz band jamming and every now and then they would play a song. This missed a few classics from the set too but most notably Under The Bridge. I remember people waiting around after their encore expecting a second encore to feature it as they couldn't understand why they wouldn't play it.

Just remembered that last year I saw half of Slowthai's set, that seemed to be 30 mins of him starting and track, shouting and then stopping after 30 seconds to talk to the crowd. Not a fan anyway, but thought i'd give him a chance to show what they hype was all about. Seemed utterly tedious. Still don't get it.

Also saw some of Kanye's set whenever it was. The ego of that man...

Edited by matichin

1 hour ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Not necessarily awful but disappointing/didnt live up to expectation/dull

Kanye 2015 - Stayed for an hour. Was so bored. Stopped and started every other song, just him visible on stage, zzz.

Florence 2015 - Not the worst set but all i could think was that they weren't the Foos and struggled to fill the time.

Gorrilaz - 2010 - Last min replacement but still shouldn't have been headlining. Stayed for the first 5 songs and didnt know any of them. No stage presence. Although by leaving I caught the end of a fantastic Flaming Lips set.

Morrisey - 2011 - Was on a right high that evening and went on my own because no one else wanted to. Just remember him moaning at everything between songs and bringing my mood down. Chase n Status in the pissing rain later that night saved the mood though.

Morrisey must have been god awful if even Chase n Status managed to lift the mood! 

As for the worst set I’ve seen at Glastonbury, it has to be The National. Had really high hopes for them but they didn’t cope well with that slot at all. 

13 minutes ago, jump said:

Red Hot Chili Peppers at Reading 07, it was almost constant jazz band jamming and every now and then they would play a song. This missed a few classics from the set too but most notably Under The Bridge. I remember people waiting around after their encore expecting a second encore to feature it as they couldn't understand why they wouldn't play it.

I remember this and my God what utter shite, gets my vote. Played so much from Stadium Arcadium (which way mainly toss) and so many pointless jams. Put me off them so much

57 minutes ago, CJTM said:

Wasn't Jack White pretty shte on the Pyramid? Wasn't he off his nut... or was I? and i've got this the wrong way around

You're bang on.

Myself and a mate went down to the Pyramid early - primarily to get a good spot for Metallica for the rest of the gang - but I thought it might be worth catching Jack White's set anyway.

I was very wrong. It was an utter shambles, and my mate and I just spent the entire time talking, largely down to the fact that we felt mortified for the wasted Mr. White and couldn't bring ourselves to take it in.

14 minutes ago, matichin said:

Just remembered that last year I saw half of Slowthai's set, that seemed to be 30 mins of him starting and track, shouting and then stopping after 30 seconds to talk to the crowd. Not a fan anyway, but thought i'd give him a chance to show what they hype was all about. Seemed utterly tedious. Still don't get it.

Also saw some of Kanye's set whenever it was. The ego of that man...

Slowthai was the worst support act I've ever seen, it was last year with Slaves. He threw up on stage multiple times, started throwing his shoes at the crowd, kept shouting"Fuck Theresa May" & "Fuck your Mum" etc. Tbh if I ever see him again he'd be a let down if he didn't do all that.