worst ever festival sets

Crazyfool01

Yea Oasis were surprisingly bad.

Also, unless someone's already mentioned it, how about the great exodus of the Gorrilaz crowd from the Pyramid. Not a particulary bad performance by any means but the speedy vanishing of a very bored 50k people was very funny to watch.

Edited by Cooter

Metallica was probably ok if you like Metallica. But I was pissed off by their fans sitting at the front all day giving abuse to bands like Primal Scream then when they came on the band were surly and the music uneventful (which I get is what their fans like).

Joanna Newsome - ordered that no other stage had acts on, or djs. The stalls had to turn off their soundsystems. We couldn't even go into the Big Top to wait for the next band. Then she sat on stage and shrieked for an hour and a half. 

5 hours ago, Cooter said:

of my all time faves but so sad to see Lemmy quite literally on his way out. I've seen them many times before but this last time brought a tear to the eye. Rip Lem, you lived the life!

I saw some photos of Lemmy backstage at Glastonbury 2015, taken by a friend of mine, he did look like death warmed up.

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Can I just take a minute to remind everyone how bad Oasis were in 2004?

Liam Gallagher stood there like a giant angry polar bear clearly not wanting to be there and having a pop at all and sundry, singing terribly while Noel skulked around in the background looking bored.

It was really, really bad.

How could you tell the difference from one of their 'good' gigs?!

24 minutes ago, Homer said:

Ride in 1994 - my favourite band at the time. Album came out on the Friday, they played pretty much the whole thing on the Saturday, complete with change of direction. Lots of very bored/stoned looking people staring at their shoes (but not in a good way).

Kind of hard to tell the difference between the crowd and the band by the sounds of it.

• 1 month later...

I haven't seen many stinkers but one that sticks in the memory is James opening the other stage in 2016. They came on late as the field was still half flooded, it was cold and pissing down plus everyone had just woken up to the referendum result so the atmosphere was not on their side. You could tell everyone was waiting for Sit Down and they didn't even play it!

Actually I don't think I've seen a decent set in that slot full stop... 

I'd say that the mood of the festival on waking up on the Friday after the referendum was the worst experience I've had there. It was cold, wet, partially flooded and utterly depressing. They played the video for the Portishead cover of SOS with the Jo Cox quote at the end and I cried a bit at the pointlessness of it all. 

10 minutes ago, TheBoz said:

I haven't seen many stinkers but one that sticks in the memory is James opening the other stage in 2016. They came on late as the field was still half flooded, it was cold and pissing down plus everyone had just woken up to the referendum result so the atmosphere was not on their side. You could tell everyone was waiting for Sit Down and they didn't even play it!

Everything's subjective, everyone has their own opinion, and there are no rights or wrongs for what you enjoy or don't enjoy.

But you're still wrong ;)

Loved that James set :D

Not at Glastonbury- Fergie, Global Gathering 2003.

Glastonbury- I dislike many of the headliners on the big stages for the crowds they bring and the pop music they play. Worst has to be Lionel Ritchie I think, for all the hilarious flags and costumes Jennifer and her friends brought out for the performance. He was rubbish and mind numbingly boring too.

5 minutes ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

i DID really enjoy that James show - BUT it was a bit crap of them to do a Shaky on the setlist.

I'd disagree.  13 song setlist, did Come Home, Sometimes, Out to Get You, Getting Away With It, Tomorrow and Laid. The only "hits" they didn't play that your average radio James fan would know were She's a Star and Sit Down, and they really don't pay SD that much at all.

It was wonderfully.....James :) 

They're always like that with their setlists

Edited by Quark

21 minutes ago, Quark said:

They're always like that with their setlists

i've seen 'em a bunch of times but only ever at festivals.. so i really dont know... like i say, i did enjoy it!

its not like i dragged a big heavy painted door there specially or anything ? 

Edited by Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car
unable to spell...

Not necessarily awful but disappointing/didnt live up to expectation/dull

Kanye 2015 - Stayed for an hour. Was so bored. Stopped and started every other song, just him visible on stage, zzz.

Florence 2015 - Not the worst set but all i could think was that they weren't the Foos and struggled to fill the time.

Gorrilaz - 2010 - Last min replacement but still shouldn't have been headlining. Stayed for the first 5 songs and didnt know any of them. No stage presence. Although by leaving I caught the end of a fantastic Flaming Lips set.

Morrisey - 2011 - Was on a right high that evening and went on my own because no one else wanted to. Just remember him moaning at everything between songs and bringing my mood down. Chase n Status in the pissing rain later that night saved the mood though.