worst ever festival sets

Crazyfool01

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

My memory was of him barely being able to sing. He just shuffled around the stage going “huh!” “yeah!” “alright!” a lot.

Bloody hell Hugh you're a hard man to please ;) 

I think he was what 70 or 71 and he's clearly "lived a life", but we had a great time.  Having enjoyed his music for my life I'd rather see him than not :) 

1 minute ago, clarkete said:

Bloody hell Hugh you're a hard man to please ;) 

I think he was what 70 or 71 and he's clearly "lived a life", but we had a great time.  Having enjoyed his music for my life I'd rather see him than not :) 

I think it was more that I was really looking forward to seeing a bone fide loving legend and it was such a let down. I fully accept that when you see heritage acts these days you’re not exactly catching them in their prime but it was a little sad seeing the Godfather of Soul in that state.

9 hours ago, eastynh said:

Wiley on the Other stage. Had a guy pressing play on a set of cd decks behind him and he just sang/rapped/mc'ed over his own records. Now at least play instrumental versions of your tunes if that all you are going to do, don't sing over your own vocals. It was truly awful.

It did not even justify a live PA at 3am in a nightclub, never mind a prime spot on a major stage at Glastonbury.

This describes my attitude to any number of knob twiddlers that seem to bafflingly pull big crowds for standing on stage and yelling over a backing track whilst fiddling saïd knobs. As egregious as miming IMO.

38 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Until this year, when Marti Pellow arrived epically late and proceeded to be shite, I'd definitley say the Cooper Temple Clause on Other in 2003. Utter rubbish.

And with hindsight, of course, Rolf....:(

Marti Pellow - what a huge disappointment - I rarely (if ever) leave a set, but I left after 2 or 3 tracks, I was cringing lol

Hindsights a great thing - there was a massive crowd at Rolf and if he had not been a despicable individual we would all still be saying great singalong set where they had record early morning crowds !

Primal Scream on the Pyramid in 2005.  Bobby Gillespie didn't have a clue what planet he was on and was constantly trolling the crowd throughout the set ""Do you want to hear the Stone Roses? Well you should have been here 15 years ago, you fucking lazy bastards!"

They ended up cutting his mic, when he tried to play another song at the end of their set 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I fully accept that when you see heritage acts these days you’re not exactly catching them in their prime but it was a little sad seeing the Godfather of Soul in that state.

Fair point, although we were quite entertained by quite how energised the the dancers were to compensate for his reduced levels.

Did you see Al Green way back?  He really would have lived up to your expectations, as he looked and sounded just perfect.

38 minutes ago, StevieMcK said:

Primal Scream on the Pyramid in 2005.  Bobby Gillespie didn't have a clue what planet he was on and was constantly trolling the crowd throughout the set ""Do you want to hear the Stone Roses? Well you should have been here 15 years ago, you fucking lazy bastards!"

They ended up cutting his mic, when he tried to play another song at the end of their set 

They were just as bad subbing the Stones. Someone needs to stop letting that boy near the Pyramid.

18 hours ago, VCK said:

Arctic Monkeys at Leeds in 2009. Never understood the hero worship of Alex Turner because he has all the charisma and stage presence of a dustbin.

Poor at Reading that year as well. Played a set that was two thirds Humbug which had been out for less than a week and refused to play songs like Mardy Bum, Teddy Picker and A Certain Romance despite only having been around for 3 or 4 years at that point.

They have matured a lot as a live band since then but that Reading and Leeds year was bloody awful.

1 hour ago, StevieMcK said:

This. Crowd shouting "Bobby, you w*nkER" very loudly. And in reply to the question "Do you want to see us, or Basement Jaxx", crowd replying in unison "BASEMENT JAXX!". He threw his mic stand at the crowd, then was bundled off stage by security. Shame, as the band were great. Just him being a nobber.

God, was in 2005 though? I feel old.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, tjamest said:

Red Hot Chilli Peppers at Leeds in 07 were terrible. The last gig of their world tour and they just seemed burnt out and ready to go home.. Loads of extended jams and not a lot else as far as i remember.

Well Frusciante quit the band after that tour even though it wasn't official as such until 2009. They were completely off form at Reading as well, clearly all was not well. They were fantastic on the stadium tour the year before so it was a real shame.

Arctic Monkeys have never impressed me live to be honest, the crowd hype made the early gigs special 2005 and 2006 era. I really enjoy their albums but the live show leaves much to be desired. However LSP at Alexandra Palace were excellent and then Arctic Monkeys were actually really good in Madrid in 2018 so maybe the live show is improving.

Paolo Nutini in 2007 (I think) on the Pyramid. When he started gurning his way through 'I Wanna Be Like You' from the Jungle Book I actually felt embarrassed for the poor lad.

Not at Glastonbury, but Animal Collective at End of the Road in 2016 actually made me cross with their self indulgence!

RHCP - Reading 2007 was unbelievably awful. The gig was so bad that there were rumours the band had actually disbanded after that set. Tragic, John and Flea jamming and noddling for 45mins whilst Anthony stropped backstage. 

Tame Impala Glastonbury 2011 (Park Stage) - Aggresively dull, band looked too stoned to perform, I was amazed how much they turned it around in susequent years to become a great live band as this was insanely dull.

Yoko Ono Glastonbury... 2014 - Trainwreck, felt like she got by on status alone. Yo La Tengo couldnt make up for her dire performance/ And for context guys. I fucking love avant garde music. I listen to some of the most grating shit imaginable, this wasn't good Avant Garde/Art Rock. *in my opinion* The music seemed fine, my problem was 900000% with Yokos performance. 

Edited by Yesiamaduck
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Yesiamaduck said:

RHCP - Reading 2007 was unbelievably awful. The gig was so bad that there were rumours the band had actually disbanded after that set. Tragic, John and Flea jamming and noddling for 45mins whilst Anthony stropped backstage. 

Tame Impala Glastonbury 2011 (Park Stage) - Aggresively dull, band looked too stoned to perform, I was amazed how much they turned it around in susequent years to become a great live band as this was insanely dull.

Yoko Ono Glastonbury... 2013?!?! I think? - Trainwreck, felt like she got by on status alone. Yo La Tengo couldnt make up for her dre performance/

upvote upvote upvote .... see page 1 :) 

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I quite enjoyed Yoko. It was absolutely batshit but I wasn’t expecting anything else.

i had no idea what to expect ... went along just because some friends were going .... for comedy value it was amusing ... for musical performance .... not so good !!