worst ever festival sets

Crazyfool01

Lana Del Rey, Pyramid stage 2014.

Granted I only saw the last 20 minutes but man, it was grim.

I should caveat it's probably not the worst, I've walked away from a few but this sticks in my mind for some reason. Probably because I didn't want to leave due to wanting a good spec for the next act.

Edited by Gnomicide

Wiley on the Other stage. Had a guy pressing play on a set of cd decks behind him and he just sang/rapped/mc'ed over his own records. Now at least play instrumental versions of your tunes if that all you are going to do, don't sing over your own vocals. It was truly awful.

It did not even justify a live PA at 3am in a nightclub, never mind a prime spot on a major stage at Glastonbury.

Edited by eastynh

8 hours ago, Smeble said:

Kris Kristofferson- whoever was responsible for putting him in front of a crowd needs to take a long hard look at themselves, he was obviously having serious health issues and should not have been on stage. From what I’ve read he had lime disease.

Don’t know about worst but it was sad to see him like that. 

Not at Glasto, but 30 Seconds to Mars at Reading in 2011 was absolute bollocks. Awful and his ego has somehow gotten bigger since then. 

At Glasto? I remember Black Keys in 2014 being poor, same with Ellie Goulding who the then missus dragged me off to watch. Catfish & the Bottlemen were terrible in 2015 as well. 

Hole in '97 were a struggle. I can't remember seeing an act who's opinion of themselves was so removed from the reality of their ability.

I should mention Bob Dylan in '98. Not actually the worst I've ever seen, but so far beneath what his legendary status would lead you to expect.

33 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I remember James Brown in 2004 being a very sad watch. The guy just wasn’t up to it anymore.

My mileage did vary.  I was still delighted to see him and thought the band and backing singers put their all into trying to keep the energy levels up, despite his obviously being lower.

Edited by clarkete

11 minutes ago, clarkete said:

My mileage did vary.  I was still delighted to see him and thought the band and backing singers put their all into trying to keep the energy levels up, despite his obviously being lower.

My memory was of him barely being able to sing. He just shuffled around the stage going “huh!” “yeah!” “alright!” a lot.

Janet Jackson this year. Made worse by the fact I realised after that I should have been watching Lizzo instead.

My excuse is my brain was so fried by the heat that day I didn't look at my clashfinder once, even though I'd spent the last month obsessing over it.

JJ was like watching a Butlins Redcoats show.

Lauryn Hill Glasto 2019 or Ben Howard 2015. The latter even worse in hindsight after seeing how good the Todd Terje set at the same time was. Tried to give Lauryn a second chance for 20-30 mins during a gap in my schedule at Mad Cool but that was a even worse experience given she was over 30 mins intentionally late so we only saw her DJ.

Probably Beady Eye. I only stayed because Hives were on afterwards and I couldn't be bothered to leave and come back. Generally I do just leave if I'm not enjoying something so I've not had many I don't like. There's been a couple where they've not been quite as good as I expected but apart from Beady Eye nothing too dreadful. 

8 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Probably Beady Eye. I only stayed because Hives were on afterwards and I couldn't be bothered to leave and come back. Generally I do just leave if I'm not enjoying something so I've not had many I don't like. There's been a couple where they've not been quite as good as I expected but apart from Beady Eye nothing too dreadful. 

Worth it though, that Hives set was incredible. Why they haven't been back is a mystery

Kate Nash - (not sure if that was Glasto or not but she was abysmal)

Paul Simon - pyramid (no idea what year) but just didn't enjoy it

Marti Pellow 2019 Acoustic- only stayed for 2 tracks and maybe should have stayed for more, but I found it was awkward and like he was trying too hard

Although I often find I love a set, think its amazing and then watch it back afterwards and it doesn;t look or sound half as good as it felt on when you're there :-)