TOOL

jparx

13 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Not all of it yet, but what I've heard has been really good. It's like a masterful soundscape to escape into. Sorry if that sounds w*nky.

This is Tool. The psychedelic “I feel like this song is actually speaking to me” stuff totally flies here.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2019 at 3:56 PM, jparx said:

I don't really keep up with the charts, but didn't TOOL dominate the Billboard charts last month when their back catalogue was put on streaming sites?

I'm not sure if skipping the digital age made a difference to TOOL - they've always had a hugely loyal and passionate fanbase but failed to penetrate the masses. It was the same when 10K Days came out tbh. They're a festival headliner but the masses have no clue who they are. The "who the fuck are these guys?" is just amplified now we have social media.

Even at the peak of their commercial popularity when alternative metal was all the rage they were still very niche and cult-y.

23 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Just had my first listen in full. It did not disappoint. Their set at Download was absolutely stunning and of course it'd be great to see them next year. Might need to invest in some bigger screens at the Other Stage mind...

Other stage really does need bigger and better screens with or without TOOL. They need those huge screens they had at Mad Cool last year.

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

Other stage really does need bigger and better screens with or without TOOL. They need those huge screens they had at Mad Cool last year.

Yeah the sound/screens were brilliant there. R&L have also made huge improvements with theirs too - even having screens in the smaller tents now. 

14 hours ago, Nicklord said:

Kinda have the same reputation, both the band and fans. Maynard is worshiped by the hardcore fans like Thom Yorke too

I went to see A Perfect Circle about 15 years ago, Maynard was inside a big cube behind a sheet and all you could see was his silhouette. Before the performance there was an announcement telling you that at Maynard’s request it was prohibited to take any photographs at all and that it was prohibited to smoke (this was pre-smoking ban) I always thought after that that he was a bit of a dick. Music’s still excellently good though. 

1 minute ago, lukethekid said:

I went to see A Perfect Circle about 15 years ago, Maynard was inside a big cube behind a sheet and all you could see was his silhouette. Before the performance there was an announcement telling you that at Maynard’s request it was prohibited to take any photographs at all and that it was prohibited to smoke (this was pre-smoking ban) I always thought after that that he was a bit of a dick. Music’s still excellently good though. 

Yeah, he does that thingy with phones at his own shows. Seems like he doesn't care about the festivals. There were no prohibitions of phones and cameras at either Puscifer, APC and Tool festival shows but both APC and Tool arena shows had it. Also during those 5 shows I saw with Maynard over the last 13 years he was always standing behind but on a platform so you could see him clearly except one Tool show in 2006 where he was in total darkness but during that show he cried singing Wings for Marie and 10000 Days so I guess that was an exception. All in all, dude's strange. He also doesn't like that he's worshiped. Wrote a song about fisting to confuse hardcores about deeper meaning. Tried to explain more than once that they're just making music but nah :D 

For the new Tool fans, those 2 songs are about his mother who was paralyzed for roughly 10000 days but kept believing in God and Christianity. There're several songs where he wrote about that and it clearly had a big impact on him  

2 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Yeah, he does that thingy with phones at his own shows. Seems like he doesn't care about the festivals. There were no prohibitions of phones and cameras at either Puscifer, APC and Tool festival shows but both APC and Tool arena shows had it. Also during those 5 shows I saw with Maynard over the last 13 years he was always standing behind but on a platform so you could see him clearly except one Tool show in 2006 where he was in total darkness but during that show he cried singing Wings for Marie and 10000 Days so I guess that was an exception. All in all, dude's strange. He also doesn't like that he's worshiped. Wrote a song about fisting to confuse hardcores about deeper meaning. Tried to explain more than once that they're just making music but nah :D 

For the new Tool fans, those 2 songs are about his mother who was paralyzed for roughly 10000 days but kept believing in God and Christianity. There're several songs where he wrote about that and it clearly had a big impact on him  

I suppose he’s got no choice at festivals has he, got to throw your phone’s in the amnesty bin on entrance to the festival. 

4 hours ago, Madyaker said:

The drummer is incredible, I have this album on repeat for 2 days now. Must to be a total ballache to play live though, 12 minute songs will multiple time signature changes??

Danny Carey is a god, these super complex and technical beats are like nature to him.