TOOL

jparx

Thought they deserved their own topic after waiting so long for the album.

It’s the shit. Pneuma and 7empest are off the chain.

Insane to think it’s 13 years since the last record and 11 years since I last saw one of my favourite all time bands. TOOL were the reason I went to my first festival and become a regular gig goer. Without them, who knows if I’d have found this site, caught the Glastonbury bug and experienced so many incredible moments. They’re the reason I started playing guitar and the reason I started playing in bands. They are where it all started for me.

If they are doing festivals next year,  I’ll go out on a limb and say I think there’s a (very) outside chance they could end up on the farm. They have been played on 6 Music a lot recently and feel more relevant outside of the metal scene than they’ve ever been. They’ve already done Download this year and I highly doubt they’ll return to R+L. If they’re doing European festivals and If they’re on the Glasto’s radar, I think they could be persuaded to play the Other. Lots of ifs and it’s definitely more unlikely than likely, but there’s more of a chance than ever before.

Make it so Glastonbury.

• Upvote 5

Download this year was hands down one of the best live performances I've ever witnessed.

The new album is superb, Invincible is an instant classic and 7empest is maybe Maynard's best vocal performance since The Grudge. It would be a shame if they didn't come to the UK for a festival next year, but where would they fit in? Reading and Leeds perhaps, but they'd only headline, and I'm not sure how well that would go down with the crowd there.

Glasto getting them would be a masterstroke. Fuck it. Book them as Other headliners and pay them however much they demand, Eavii.

Edited by VCK

26 minutes ago, VCK said:

Download this year was hands down one of the best live performances I've ever witnessed.

The new album is superb, Invincible is an instant classic and 7empest is maybe Maynard's best vocal performance since The Grudge. It would be a shame if they didn't come to the UK for a festival next year, but where would they fit in? Reading and Leeds perhaps, but they'd only headline, and I'm not sure how well that would go down with the crowd there.

Glasto getting them would be a masterstroke. Fuck it. Book them as Other headliners and pay them however much they demand, Eavii.

I think the days of TOOL headlining R+L are past. BST would probably be the option if they're doing festivals but don't do Glastonbury. Who knows, though. Could just do a couple of arenas in the Spring and that's it. 

I do think they'd be a cracking Glastonbury booking, though. Metal is the only major genre underserved at G, and TOOL on the Other would be a perfect way to start and correct that. Get Mastodon on before them and go all in ?

Strap yourselves in. I’m going in.

the album is absolutely stunning. Stuff like this sadly just doesn’t get made anymore and it’s so refreshing to hear. Invincible is already a legendary track to me.

theres been whispers they are doing Coachella and it looks somewhat likely as they’ve just announced a tour outside of Coachella’s radius clause. But... it looks like (especially now) they are a headline band and it just doesn’t seem realistic to me that they would headline other.

However i’m crossing all my fingers and my toes that (here is some mental gymnastics). They’ve come to streaming, released a new album and (possibly) headlining Coachella, maybe they are trying to make an effort to market themselves to the modern audience. I really really fucking hope they look back at sick shows they’ve done in the past and think... “hey we did that Glastonbury festival before let’s go back there”.

i’m with you - it has the potential to be one of the best Glastonbury performances ever. This is why sometimes I wish the festival was 4 days of music because they might be more willing to take a gamble and put Tool on the pyramid one night.

10 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Strap yourselves in. I’m going in.

the album is absolutely stunning. Stuff like this sadly just doesn’t get made anymore and it’s so refreshing to hear. Invincible is already a legendary track to me.

theres been whispers they are doing Coachella and it looks somewhat likely as they’ve just announced a tour outside of Coachella’s radius clause. But... it looks like (especially now) they are a headline band and it just doesn’t seem realistic to me that they would headline other.

However i’m crossing all my fingers and my toes that (here is some mental gymnastics). They’ve come to streaming, released a new album and (possibly) headlining Coachella, maybe they are trying to make an effort to market themselves to the modern audience. I really really fucking hope they look back at sick shows they’ve done in the past and think... “hey we did that Glastonbury festival before let’s go back there”.

i’m with you - it has the potential to be one of the best Glastonbury performances ever. This is why sometimes I wish the festival was 4 days of music because they might be more willing to take a gamble and put Tool on the pyramid one night.

I think you're absolutely spot on there and that's definitely the case. That's mainly what gives me some hope that A) they're on the Glastonbury's radar and B) they'd be willing to take the lower slot there for the exposure it'd give them. 

The record is AOTY level. My optimism had really dwindled after waiting so many years and I was in the camp thinking it'd be a let down. Oh boy was I wrong.

12 hours ago, jparx said:

I think the days of TOOL headlining R+L are past. BST would probably be the option if they're doing festivals but don't do Glastonbury. Who knows, though. Could just do a couple of arenas in the Spring and that's it. 

I do think they'd be a cracking Glastonbury booking, though. Metal is the only major genre underserved at G, and TOOL on the Other would be a perfect way to start and correct that. Get Mastodon on before them and go all in ?

It wouldn't surprise me if they then disappeared again for over a decade now the album is out. :P 

Metallica went down very well in 2014 and as far as metal goes, Tool aren't really that much less accessible than Metallica compared to some metal acts out there.

57 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

What happened with all that stuff about Maynard then? Was it bollocks?

Turned out to be bullshit made up by some 28 year old man on Twitter.

The problem with Tool is that sitting out of most of the digital era means that a lot of people don’t know them.

It’s not that they don’t like them... they literally just don’t know who they are.

Coupled with the fact that Download was their last show here in 12 years, I’ve had to explain to quite a few of my mates that they are a very successful band.

Its funny because Tool are set to obliterate both Lana and Taylor in the US charts next week and the kids on twitter are mortified. 

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

The problem with Tool is that sitting out of most of the digital era means that a lot of people don’t know them.

It’s not that they don’t like them... they literally just don’t know who they are.

Coupled with the fact that Download was their last show here in 12 years, I’ve had to explain to quite a few of my mates that they are a very successful band.

Its funny because Tool are set to obliterate both Lana and Taylor in the US charts next week and the kids on twitter are mortified. 

I don't really keep up with the charts, but didn't TOOL dominate the Billboard charts last month when their back catalogue was put on streaming sites?

I'm not sure if skipping the digital age made a difference to TOOL - they've always had a hugely loyal and passionate fanbase but failed to penetrate the masses. It was the same when 10K Days came out tbh. They're a festival headliner but the masses have no clue who they are. The "who the fuck are these guys?" is just amplified now we have social media.

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

I don't really keep up with the charts, but didn't TOOL dominate the Billboard charts last month when their back catalogue was put on streaming sites?

I'm not sure if skipping the digital age made a difference to TOOL - they've always had a hugely loyal and passionate fanbase but failed to penetrate the masses. It was the same when 10K Days came out tbh. They're a festival headliner but the masses have no clue who they are. The "who the fuck are these guys?" is just amplified now we have social media.

Sorry what I mean is Tool are an incredibly popular band just a lot of younguns have probably never stumbled across their music either by accident or recommendation. 

TOOL (still) dominating the charts is awesome because it’s showing that there are still people out there who want to buy music. The Lana fans are really upset about this at the moment because TOOL are set to dominate Lana in sales. Best we can hope is that this recent surge in Tool’s career will introduce new fans to the music.

The fact that a lot of people are like “what the fuck is this” on Twitter is very exciting.

7 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

What happened with all that stuff about Maynard then? Was it bollocks?

Apparently that same person made another twitter account with a similar rumour about Reznor on the same day, and deleted that one after 10 mins, so it’s fairly safe to assume that neither are true 

1 hour ago, zero000 said:

Any recommendations on where to start with Tool?

Do you have Spotify? The essential tool playlist is great.

EDIT; Listen to (songs), Lateralus, The Pot, Vicarious, AENIMA, Forty Six & 2, Sober, Prison Sex, Parabola. Edit#2: also Schism (I guess)

If those songs don’t take your fancy they probably aren’t for you.

EDIT #3: last edit but hold off with the new album I feel like the album isn’t really for new fans at all. It is very much a love letter to old fans for their whole discography.

Edited by Matt42

They are an incredible band. Stunning at Download (and the sound quality there was exceptional) and the new album is, at the very least, a profound work of art. 

I would be very surprised if they return to the farm, but they are a band of surprises, so I wouldn't rule it out. Headlining other seems the best fit.

re: where to start with Tool. Go to the videos. The visual element is amazingly unique as well, and will of course give you nightmares.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1wUo-29zS7m_Jp-U_xYcFQ

8 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

Apparently that same person made another twitter account with a similar rumour about Reznor on the same day, and deleted that one after 10 mins, so it’s fairly safe to assume that neither are true 

He might not be raping underage girls but he still came out of that thing looking creepy as shit.

17 hours ago, zero000 said:

Any recommendations on where to start with Tool?

Lateralus is largely considered their best although 10,000 Days is my favourite. I'd probably say just go chronologically their earlier stuff is a lot harder and more aggressive than the more recent stuff and might be a bit tougher to get into after you've heard their newer sound.