Tent tax - good idea?

oneeye

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

What do you mean ? I'm sure ive seen you on the fitness thread you should be kgs lighter by the end :) 

All bets are off for 5 days in June.  I get fit the rest of the year so I can eat my weight in mac & cheese and apple crumbles :D

20 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

instead of a tent tax what we really need is an idiot tax.

The people leaving tents behind are of course idiots, but they're not the only ones so why should they be singled out?

The tax raising possibilities are endless too. Just think of all the public services which could be funded.

:P 

That's a LOT of tax

I think there should be a tent tax which you pay when you win the ticket raffle which the next year gets you a loyalty ticket so that you can get a carbon neutral bus ticket which you can trade for a 'newcomer to glastonbury' ticket, and on exiting the festival you return a bag of rubbish which gets you... etc

13 hours ago, parsonjack said:

The absolute hypocrites that fawned over Greta Thunberg during the 1975 set...then left all their shit behind. 

Shameful..

Don't forget forming a massive CND logo up at the stone circle - before cheering on the leader of the Labour Party with a policy to retain nuclear weaponry (granted, not his policy). 

As good as it was this year at Glastonbury, I think there will be a massive regression as soon as we have a muddy one.

I see no way of making a tent tax work in practical terms.

Some people are just selfish and anyone who is willing to leave a 50 quid tent behind will have no qualms about losing an extra 25, and actually I think it will be looked at as a littering fee and if anything would possibly increase the amount of littering post festival.

It will need a shift away from the 'use once and discard' mindset that society has adopted over the last few decades, an issue far bigger than tents at festivals and that will take time.

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yep.

And the good thing is, everyone will vote in favour of an idiot tax, because "I'm sure I won't be the one paying it". :P 

We could have it on here:

£5 for every post suggesting a band who are obviously headline material will play elsewhere.

£5 for every post asking if the football/rugby/Love Island will be shown.

£10 per Simpsons gif/meme and/or suspicious dog picture

£20 per mention of Phillipa's van

£30 for the same guy saying outrageous things to troll under different usernames

£50 per Jessie J video (sorry Bamber!)

50p per post from JJ

You could fund the site forever...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

17 hours ago, amfy said:

People would simply justify leaving their £40 tent because they have paid a £25 cleaning fee.

Which would still be fine. The money could be used for some kind of carbon offset fund (it wouldn't be needed for cleaning because the festival's cleaning bill will actually go down).

13 hours ago, Mash011 said:

hey yall, heres an idea,, what if they made glatonbury even MORE expensive

It's a deposit. You get it back when you take your tent back through the gates presumably.

I think it's an excellent idea. Sure, some people would still dump their tents once they've left and a few people would try to cheat the system by bagging up a tent in two bags or whatever, but it would work for most people and would have a massive effect on the number of tents taken home I reckon.

Just now, bombfrog said:

It's a deposit. You get it back when you take your tent back through the gates presumably.

I think it's an excellent idea. Sure, some people would still dump their tents once they've left and a few people would try to cheat the system by bagging up a tent in two bags or whatever, but it would work for most people and would have a massive effect on the number of tents taken home I reckon.

The problem is, and I can’t see a workaround here, that not every punter through the gate brings a tent.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The problem is, and I can’t see a workaround here, that not every punter through the gate brings a tent.

Maybe I'm just not understanding, but you wouldn't pay the deposit if you're not bringing a tent. You don't buy a car park ticket if you're not bringing a car for example.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

£5 for every post suggesting a band who are obviously headline material will play elsewhere.

£30 for the same guy saying outrageous things to troll under different usernames

50p per post from JJ

@Gnomicide would pay for the site on his own...

Edited by Quark

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

Maybe I'm just not understanding, but you wouldn't pay the deposit if you're not bringing a tent. You don't buy a car park ticket if you're not bringing a car for example.

So you buy a separate “tent pass”?

Again, if people have paid a fee some will feel entitled to leave their shit behind.

5 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Sooo, I guess the challenge would be the group tents.  Although I'm pretty sure that you'd find out who your friends were pretty quickly when your the one with the deposit and they've all buggered off and left you the mess! :D

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

So you buy a separate “tent pass”?

Again, if people have paid a fee some will feel entitled to leave their shit behind.

Yes, you pay a deposit per tent to take a tent in and get it back when you leave. I'm not saying it'd be the easiest thing to administer but it's fundamentally a good idea.

I've addressed people still leaving tents above. A. We'd still see a lot fewer tents and B. the deposits they don't get back could go towards carbon offsetting.

It's a bit like the 5p plastic bag tax, people would moan at first and find reasons why it wouldn't work. Plenty of "whataboutism" etc. etc. But in the end it would work in 90% of cases and we'd see much cleaner fields at the end of the festival.

Just now, bombfrog said:

It's a bit like the 5p plastic bag tax, people would moan at first and find reasons why it wouldn't work. Plenty of "whataboutism" etc. etc. But in the end it would work in 90% of cases and we'd see much cleaner fields at the end of the festival.

A good point. Always a reason not to do it.  

52 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Which would still be fine. The money could be used for some kind of carbon offset fund (it wouldn't be needed for cleaning because the festival's cleaning bill will actually go down).

Not sure about carbon offsetting,  just seems to allow people to carry on as normal , just eases their conscience whilst jetting around the world. ?

• Like 1

Education  think is the only way forward. just have to hammer home the environmental impact people will come around, well most.

With the tax the article says  -

"Any money made could go into redistributing abandoned tents to homeless charities, scout groups and local community groups, he said"

So basically I pay £25 tax and then I am helping other groups and the homeless. That seems ok then.

Just not the correct message

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

50p per post from JJ

Could I upgrade my gold account to a yellow account so I can still post free simpsons content?