Tent tax - good idea?

oneeye

2 minutes ago, amfy said:

People would simply justify leaving their £40 tent because they have paid a £25 cleaning fee.

Yeah this is it isn't it. Its like where car parking has risen year on year to encourage public transport use, bikes etc. yet car parks seem as packed as ever as people take the attitude that its all part of the rising cost for the festival weekend and in for a penny, in for a pound prevails.

52 minutes ago, amfy said:

People would simply justify leaving their £40 tent because they have paid a £25 cleaning fee.

Totally agree. Good point.

Cheap tents are one of the major players with this problem. Sad that festival attendees are causing so much waste. Through my rose tinted spectacles I still like to think that festivals are a haven of hugs and planet saving loveliness. Alas the reality seems to be tipping towards the opposite. Sad to see those pictures of Leeds after improvement at Glastonbury and others. Still think education is the key. But they must live on a different planet if they're  not getting the message on waste. Useless lazy gits. 

Edited by mashedonmud

How would they even work that out?

I know there's a wildly different demographic to contend with but there seems to be a massive contrast between the post glasto scenes and the post R&L scenes, I swear its because G show a bit more respect to the punters they're entertaining.

44 minutes ago, priest17 said:

How would they even work that out?

I know there's a wildly different demographic to contend with but there seems to be a massive contrast between the post glasto scenes and the post R&L scenes, I swear its because G show a bit more respect to the punters they're entertaining.

its only been different at the last festival because of the focus ... the bottle ban , extinction rebellion march and David Attenborough , I would be fairly sure Reading / Leeds didn't have similar ... but I do remember not so long ago the video below showing the destruction at our favourite festival 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

its only been different at the last festival because of the focus ... the bottle ban , extinction rebellion march and David Attenborough , I would be fairly sure Reading / Leeds didn't have similar ... but I do remember not so long ago the video below showing the destruction at our favourite festival 

The rate of the change makes me optimistic. Hopefully things won't regress in 2020.

Will it really change people's behaviour. I fear not when they're prepared to leave tents and gear worth £100s in some instances. It will just be seen as a necessary expense. Besides which it will cause a very large admin problem. How do you prove who left what unless every tent is tagged. ?

It's one of those nice ideas, that ultimately would be near impossible to implement properly as doing so would cost significantly more in resources than the charge would bring in. Especially if it actually was effective meaning only a small percentage forfeit their 25 quid in the end.

The problem with a tent tax is that the sort of person who is happy to leave a tent that they have paid money for is probably the sort of person that doesn’t mind losing their £25 deposit either. 

What a tent tax WOULD do however, is punish those people who do clean up after themselves by making them go through some kind of arduous process to be able to claim back their deposit at the end of the festival - either you’d have to wait around for someone to come and check your camp and approve you before you leave, or you’d have to queue at the exit to show that you’re taking your tent with you at the gate, and then there’s the question of HOW you get your money back - obviously they wouldn’t just be able to give 150,000 people £25 in cash, so it would need to be done electronically - would you have to queue for a refund onto your card, or would you get given a voucher and have to do it online? Either way there is no way that it wouldn’t be a major faf for those people who leave no trace. 

Edited by JoBalls

Far more effective to my mind would be a suspension of your registration for a period if you don't take your shit home.  Been said before that the people who are writing off £100+ of camping gear as part of their festival spend will just add another £25 onto it and see it as justification for leaving it behind.

But it all comes back to identification and implementation. How the hell would you make it work when everyone's just trying to get the hell out of Dodge on Monday morning? Or midnight on Sunday after the headliner finishes? Will also end up screwing over the one or two decent people in a 20-strong group of shitbiscuits, especially in the days of group tents and teepees.

I can see it maybe working at other festivals where camping is a separate area, but where it's as open as Glastonbury? No idea.

As an aside it also makes me sad that money is the automatic go-to for punishment and encouragement. Just says more about the world than I'd like it to :(

• Upvote 2

Perhaps you should go over a weigh bridge on the way in ... no exit until you meet the same weight you entered in .... this could be written on    your ticket or brazed onto your forehead similar to what they  do with the cows  :) 

Edited by crazyfool1

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Perhaps you should go over a weigh bridge on the way in ... no exit until you meet the same weight you entered in .... this could be written on    your ticket :) 

With the amount I eat over the weekend they'd be refunding me on my way out the door :lol: