Cease and desist :-(

morph100

There a young man on my team at work who is into computer games. He goes home from work at 6 o'clock each evening and plays computer games until around 03.00 the next day and then back to work for 8 o'clock. That's a pretty futile existence in my opinion but that's not the game's fault.

Edited by Ommadawn

2 hours ago, bamber said:

True, but I'm pleased to say my existence is far from mundane, it has been an Epic adventure so far. 

Regardless of how epic your life has been, everyone has downtime. None of us party and live our best lives 365 days a year. 

I’m not into computer games either but I don’t see the difference in them and reading a book / listening to music / watching a film. 

Edited by stuie
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bamber said:

I'm OK with GFL on this. All computer games are the spawn of the devil, and should never be encouraged. 

All who play, literally waste vast swathes of their lives. Game creators are artists true..... but...

Players, interacting with coloured pixels, when they could be doing almost anything else, are tragic.

Now this is a hot take. 'Haven't seen anything apart from mainstream games since the 70s so they must be bad' 

Get out of here with that and go look at some of the amazing things they've done in terms of art, music and story. 

Or not, but don't judge other peoples entertainment habits. 

As for the highlighted part. Just boggles my mind. Me and my brother live a fair distance away, once a week we spend a couple of hours gaming and chatting on skype. 

Edited by chazwwe

5 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

Everything we do is essentially a waste of time in the grand scheme of things, but if you enjoy it I don't see what the problem is. If I didn't like music I could do a post saying people who listen to music are wasting their time (why listen to a song you've already heard over and over again?). 

I LOVE Hot Chip btw....

and it just makes me want to  look at this again and spot myself dad dancing...

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

not really. Michael has always been fiercely protective of others seemingly making money off the back of his festival. It's something I hit up against 20 years ago. Nowadays they also have the legal protection of a trademark.

And in a way that's fair enough. The festival doesn't exploit every commercial opportunity going for itself, so why would they allow others to do similar?

Forgive me if I am wrong but was there not a to do on here with someone using the Glastonbury banner on a programme maybe the Clashfinder. Iirc they threatened to cancel his ticketd. 

8 hours ago, bamber said:

I'm OK with GFL on this. All computer games are the spawn of the devil, and should never be encouraged. 

All who play, literally waste vast swathes of their lives. Game creators are artists true..... but...

Players, interacting with coloured pixels, when they could be doing almost anything else, are tragic.

If there's any genre of video game which would get a wider audience if only people knew about them, it's the point and click adventure games, with Monkey Island being the most famous example. You very well could be pleasantly surprised.

Love Island in particular but pretty much all mainstream TV.

Now THAT is a monumental waste of time. 

I don’t game either but if it was a toss up between gaming and TV... Would take gaming any day.

BTW, This escalated quickly 

Hey Morph, sorry your cool idea and hard work got knocked back. Also sorry for you that this thread got derailed from your awesome achievement to a mundane argument about video games. 

Getting the knock back should be seen in a positive way, they took it seriously enough to send you a fricking cease and desist. Would they even bother if they didn't think it had merit? Fair play and now just find ways to do it and not be sued. 

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Go on then.

What do you lot suggest that I play on my low to mid range laptop. Has to be free.

Not played computer games since I used to play Defender (greatest computer game ever :)  ) back in the very early '80s. Used to be able to clock it on a single 10p.

Defender was SO hard, most impressed you could do it. I'd be blown up after 2 minutes.

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Go on then.

What do you lot suggest that I play on my low to mid range laptop. Has to be free.

Not played computer games since I used to play Defender (greatest computer game ever :)  ) back in the very early '80s. Used to be able to clock it on a single 10p.

Go check out the Gaming thread in the Discussions section of this site.

20 hours ago, morph100 said:

I said it was completely non profit for free thing not to make money in anyway. They said doesn’t matter it’s all trademarks etc so can’t use any names or similarities 

even if the particular thing you're doing is free, the's always the suspicion you might be using it to help promote something which isn't free.

From their side it's easier to keep track of things if nothing is allowed.

12 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Forgive me if I am wrong but was there not a to do on here with someone using the Glastonbury banner on a programme maybe the Clashfinder. Iirc they threatened to cancel his ticketd. 

I don't remember anything around the clashfinder, but there's been plenty of other similar stuff I'm aware of over the years.

Before there were 'use of the Glastonbury name' issues with me and my original Glastonbury website (which went legal but was eventually sorted; I had to give up the domain) I had Glastonbury come at me about some t-shirts advertised here which used the Glastonbury Festival name.

I felt I had to run checkpage past them to find out if they objected or not, as I'm in-theory making money off the festival with that. They weren't exactly approving but I don't use the Glastonbury name to promote it, and it's part of why I keep its existence low-key.

There was a fuss with Niblet doing similar (charging for text alerts), and his ticket was cancelled as a result (which I successfully argued to be re-instated for him). What happened soured how Niblet felt about the fest.

19 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Blimey, they don't mess around, do they.

I can't remember all the details now, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the first thing they did. I think it was to get his attention really.

They do play tough around the use of their name but they've a right in law to enforce their rights. And while they play tough I've not really felt they've been unreasonable* - and I've had my own big battle(s?) with them in the past.

(*although they have seemed to be a bit inconsistent on occasion).

On 8/24/2019 at 10:27 AM, bamber said:

Can't have ten down votes.. Bloody hell people it's only bams point of view.. Uovoted you for a true and fair point. 

Edited by guypjfreak
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Can't have ten down votes.. Bloody hell people it's only bams point of view.. Uovoted you for a true and fair point. 

I’ll downvote anyone who (without irony!) describes other people’s hobbies of choice as ‘tragic’ and says they’re ‘wasting vast swathes of their lives’. I’m bored of judgemental attitudes.

Edited by MEGABOWL
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

I hadn't realised what was going on with the votes system, so have now also up voted too. I'm not comfortable with an innocuous point of view being chastised in such a manner. 

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

it's only bams point of view

It's not, though. It's a moral projection - a judgement on other people. He'd be alright if it wasn't for his pulpit.

Even if it was only his point of view, he's not entitled to it by his own admission. Playing Space Invaders decades ago doesn't qualify somebody to condemn people playing Fortnite today. We all waste our lives away in various ways - careers, drugs, music, games, whatever. We all end up in the same place - the value is found in the enjoyment we felt on the way.

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It's not, though. It's a moral projection - a judgement on other people. He'd be alright if it wasn't for his pulpit.

Even if it was only his point of view, he's not entitled to it by his own admission. Playing Space Invaders decades ago doesn't qualify somebody to condemn people playing Fortnite today. We all waste our lives away in various ways - careers, drugs, music, games, whatever. We all end up in the same place - the value is found in the enjoyment we felt on the way.

you missed out spending time on festival forums :) 

11 hours ago, eFestivals said:

There was a fuss with Niblet doing similar (charging for text alerts), and his ticket was cancelled as a result (which I successfully argued to be re-instated for him). What happened soured how Niblet felt about the fest.

That's what I was thinking of. My memory is not what it used to be.