Cease and desist :-(

morph100

I emailed Glastonbury to ask if they minded me making my Glastonbury computer game (the one in the style of Monkey Island I posted work in progress versions on here before). I said, can I do it and put Unofficial, in no way linked to the real Glastonbury Festival, this is a separate fan made thing etc...basically what wording can I use to do this? Or is it a no stop what you are doing?

unfortunately they said stop and no, I can’t even call it Glastonberries ? game. 

Which is is a shame cause I thought if they gave me the go ahead under certain conditions I would have put some effort in to make something decent to release at start of June 2020 to help with the build up.

sad times, thought I might be allowed like the person who makes the cartoon maps, or the unofficial Glastonbury podcast...maybe I shouldn’t have asked and just done it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

certainly a different operation these days

not really. Michael has always been fiercely protective of others seemingly making money off the back of his festival. It's something I hit up against 20 years ago. Nowadays they also have the legal protection of a trademark.

And in a way that's fair enough. The festival doesn't exploit every commercial opportunity going for itself, so why would they allow others to do similar?

Just now, eFestivals said:

not really. Michael has always been fiercely protective of others seemingly making money off the back of his festival. It's something I hit up against 20 years ago. Nowadays they also have the legal protection of a trademark.

And in a way that's fair enough. The festival doesn't exploit every commercial opportunity going for itself, so why would they allow others to do similar?

I said it was completely non profit for free thing not to make money in anyway. They said doesn’t matter it’s all trademarks etc so can’t use any names or similarities 

I'm OK with GFL on this. All computer games are the spawn of the devil, and should never be encouraged. 

All who play, literally waste vast swathes of their lives. Game creators are artists true..... but...

Players, interacting with coloured pixels, when they could be doing almost anything else, are tragic.

Edited by bamber
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 27

9 minutes ago, bamber said:

I'm OK with GFL on this. All computer games are the spawn of the devil, and should never be encouraged. 

All who play, literally waste vast swathes of their lives.

Time that would be better spent posting endless links to Jessie J videos on an internet forum?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 16

15 minutes ago, bamber said:

All who play, literally waste vast swathes of their lives. Game creators are artists true..... but...

Players, interacting with coloured pixels, when they could be doing almost anything else, are tragic.

I actually can't tell if this is sarcastic or not, but I'm assuming so. 

Good job you asked Morph and didn't waste your time creating to be knocked back at the last. 

23 minutes ago, bamber said:

I'd rather play Monkey Island than listen to Jessie J.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Time that would be better spent posting endless links to Jessie J videos on an internet forum?

Fair point but I'd still argue that listening to music and sharing and  promoting music you like is way more productive than pointing at pixels for hours on end. Music touches the soul. Compter games sap your soul.

• Downvote 5

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd rather play Monkey Island than listen to Jessie J.

I've no idea what monkey island is or what if any it's merits or lack of are. I'm  sure though that the profound pleasure that I glean by listening to Jessica Cornish trumps any joy I could obtain wasting my life zapping pixelated monkeys.

24 minutes ago, bamber said:

Fair point but I'd still argue that listening to music and sharing and  promoting music you like is way more productive than pointing at pixels for hours on end. Music touches the soul. Compter games sap your soul.

Says the guy who has obviously never played one.

Given your oddball behaviour on here I’m shocked you can lecture anyone on how they spend their time.

23 minutes ago, bamber said:

I've no idea what monkey island is or what if any it's merits or lack of are. I'm  sure though that the profound pleasure that I glean by listening to Jessica Cornish trumps any joy I could obtain wasting my life zapping pixelated monkeys.

You're aware that most of us find the idea of getting profound pleasure from Jessie J's music to be almost inconceivable, yet we accept that you do indeed seem to genuinely love it. 

Can you admit it possible that other people get genuine pleasure of equal merit from computer games, even if you'll never appreciate it first hand?  BTW, there is no zapping involved in Monkey Island, just as there is none in @morph100's lovingly created Glasonbury game created in the same style.  They're both witty, gentle, heart warming adventure puzzle games.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bamber said:

Everything we do is essentially a waste of time in the grand scheme of things, but if you enjoy it I don't see what the problem is. If I didn't like music I could do a post saying people who listen to music are wasting their time (why listen to a song you've already heard over and over again?). 

If something gives someone somewhere the remotest bit of pleasure, a slight escape from any stress etc. I wouldn't say it is a waste of time. Anyone can claim anything is a waste of time but it's the value it holds to the people using/doing/playing etc. that matters.

Be it computer games or Jessie J... 

If we all liked the same things and held the same interests it'd be a pretty mundane existence! 

In reply to the original post I look forward @morph100 to the release of 'A Summer Set Adventure On The Geometrical Stages'. 

45 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

If something gives someone somewhere the remotest bit of pleasure, a slight escape from any stress etc. I wouldn't say it is a waste of time. Anyone can claim anything is a waste of time but it's the value it holds to the people using/doing/playing etc. that matters.

Be it computer games or Jessie J... 

If we all liked the same things and held the same interests it'd be a pretty mundane existence! 

True, but I'm pleased to say my existence is far from mundane, it has been an Epic adventure so far. 

2 hours ago, bamber said:

I played computer games in their very infancy, space Invaders, astroids etc. I quickly realised the utter futility of it all.

I used to play that basic tennis game when games first came out, but soon gave up on that, and subsequent games, for very much the reason you have stated ie that they are, in my opinion, futile. However, I accept (with gritted teeth) that other people like playing them. I guess it's the same with anything like music, art etc, in that the appreciation of them is very much subjective. Not sure what I'm trying to say, other than that if we want a live and let live environment, then we've got to learn to live and let live - I guess.