Do the bars take cards?

johnmcga

I've not been to a festival for about three years now (had a baby), so EOTR is my first proper camping festival for a while.

How common is card payment these days? Do EOTR bars take cards?

I'm used to taking a wad of twenties with me, but I went to a couple of one-day events in London this year and it was clear that the card payment tech has really moved on.

Thanks!

think they do. Got recollections of lots of waiting around as the eight members of bar staff share the two card readers. They do have cash machines on site, but they've got a pretty high withdrawal fee.

Personally, even as an advocate of a cash-free society, I always take cash. Helps me to stick to a budget. 

Apparently it was going to be mostly cardless at Green Man (Bars and eateries), but I think, due to the weather most machines didn't seem to be working so I had to get extra cash out. So might be worth bringing some cash.

Edited by StevoLancs

It's no wonder festivals are very cvery keen on the cashless/wristband stuff. I heard they took 20% of all transactions at Black Deer. Organisers will be rubbing their hands with glee and working out how to implement it at a lot more festvals over the next couple of years.

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

It's no wonder festivals are very cvery keen on the cashless/wristband stuff. I heard they took 20% of all transactions at Black Deer. Organisers will be rubbing their hands with glee and working out how to implement it at a lot more festvals over the next couple of years.

One thing I would also mention: the prices for food seemed very much on the high side, so if the above is true (and I expect it is) you could explain this by the traders getting their retaliation in first eg. battered fish in a bun £8, chips £2 extra, mushy peas £2 extra. I passed, so am unable to confirm if the fish was sea bass or turbot.

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

yep. It allows a festival to better-fleece the traders with high fees - which comes back on the punter with higher prices - as well as all of the unclaimed refunds, which is some nice free money.

Edited by eFestivals

3 hours ago, Mardy said:

Yeah, I totally agree the whole pre-loaded wristband thing is a complete scam, especially now that contactless cards are so mainstream.

I think Bluedot had one of these systems this year, with some kerfuffle over how to apply for refunds, or how long refunds took to be issued.

11 minutes ago, johnmcga said:

Yeah, I totally agree the whole pre-loaded wristband thing is a complete scam, especially now that contactless cards are so mainstream.

I think Bluedot had one of these systems this year, with some kerfuffle over how to apply for refunds, or how long refunds took to be issued.

I went, no drama at all. Took the bonus of £10 for a pre-festie £150 top up, spent my £160, topped up another £50 on the Sunday, no queue, got a refund for the remainder in a simple reverse transaction afterwards.... I couldn't for the life of me work out what people had against it. Especially at something like Bluedot which is all about science and tech.

The strangest thing for me was the realisation that I inadvertanlty tap my arse about 50 times a day checking my wallet is there. In not taking a wallet out, I kept spooking myself every 10 minutes! Strange behaviours!!! :D 

They do take cards and I suspect that there will be more card machines than ever now that contactless card readers are so cheap and readily available these days. I'm all for it, when done right a contactless bar will speed through orders, but if they have too few readers it can end up a lot slower