Later night and dancing

StevoLancs

The nighttime vibe is definitely different at end of the road, though I’ve never felt like it was lacking! I just did my first green man and it was fun having the bands stretch into the night, and chai wallahs was pretty excellent... at end of the road there are “secret” sets in the tipi (not announced in advance, sometimes unusual things like Ezra Furman doing an all covers set, sometimes it’s bands that were on other stages doing another set), then there’s the “disco ship” in the woods — I honestly don’t think there’s anywhere better to dance than the woods after hours, people wandering around gathering in groups around the piano stage, around the fire or at the cider bus. There’s also a silent disco.. I never intend to end up there but it’s been known... cheesy but great, let’s call that and the karaoke the “ironic fun” ? 

i find the nighttime end of the road vibe more .. magic.. like an out of time party ... lots of chance meetings and new friends, plenty of dancing. The woods are unbeatable. BUT.. definitely less “scheduled” fun than green man. I think things officially wind up about 3 but I’ve had nights we’ve stayed out in the trees until four or five. Lots of potential for the evening to take you late, if that’s your thing. 

Getting so excited just writing about it ..! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

EOTR has live sets til 1:30 usually, the forest disco, silent disco and cider bus go on til 2:30ish...

It's absolutely not a 24 hour festival - lots of people appreciate their 3am to 9am quiet time - but there is still plenty to keep you going until 3ish.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StevoLancs said:

Looking forward to my first End of the Road ever. Just been to Green Man and there was plenty of good stuff going on, on the Friday and Saturday until the late hours, i.e. 2:00 to 4:00 am. What happens at End of the Road?

There's more going on at End of the Road than Green Man, which seemed to wind down around 1:30 with only djs playing and a few comedians talking. 

End of the Road has secret sets in the Tipi, weirdos dancing to disco music on headphones and electric acts in the Big Top and the woods are cool to walk through late at night. 

12 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Garden stage. Never a queue no its not that busy.

Haven't been the disco in the woods is it any good? Busy?

It's really hit and miss, depending on how eclectic your musical taste is, I guess. The light up dance floor is always rammed, so no room to really dance and I've always felt a bit self-conscious to "throw shapes" outside of there. But it's nice to sit around and chat with a few beers and some decent tunes playing.

Last year I really enjoyed the extended Cider Bus disco. Seemed to play more "crowd pleasers".

12 minutes ago, shoebox said:

It's really hit and miss, depending on how eclectic your musical taste is, I guess. The light up dance floor is always rammed, so no room to really dance and I've always felt a bit self-conscious to "throw shapes" outside of there. But it's nice to sit around and chat with a few beers and some decent tunes playing.

Last year I really enjoyed the extended Cider Bus disco. Seemed to play more "crowd pleasers".

Yeah liked that myself. What sort of tunes do they play in the disco?

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah liked that myself. What sort of tunes do they play in the disco?

Really depends who's DJ'ing. I've heard everything from your big indie classics, to oldies, to RnB, to pop bangers. It's where they tend to stick the guest DJs. So you'll probably get some folks from Loud & Quiet, and some from The Line Of Best Fit, maybe even one of the acts that's performed that day (Jarvis and Richard Hawley would do it back in the day, Jens Lekman has done it, think Bat For Lashes too). It's pretty random and can be great.

2 minutes ago, shoebox said:

Really depends who's DJ'ing. I've heard everything from your big indie classics, to oldies, to RnB, to pop bangers. It's where they tend to stick the guest DJs. So you'll probably get some folks from Loud & Quiet, and some from The Line Of Best Fit, maybe even one of the acts that's performed that day (Jarvis and Richard Hawley would do it back in the day, Jens Lekman has done it, think Bat For Lashes too). It's pretty random and can be great.

Cool. So its not just endless dance music. Thats good.

10 hours ago, SighMo said:

Spent a late night dancing to a great playlist at the Beavertown Brewery bar last year. Prob til 3am. 

Yeah! I'd almost forgotten about that, but had at least one cracking night down there, back in the day before it was Beavertown and was (during the day) our secret bar that hardly anyone seemed to know about.

22 minutes ago, johnmcga said:

Hi folks! First-timer here, so excuse the beginner question. Is it easy enough to get a drink late on? When do the bars shut?

(Planning my packing and wondering if I should bother bringing any decanted booze or not.)

Very easy yeah bars stay open quite late. Beavertown till 3am ish I think, Cider Bus until similar. Ill just bring a bit of wine to decant into a bottle if I need a nip at a gig. 

Abundance is everywhere though.