Levellers 2020

HalfAnIdiot

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Too big for Avalon remembering the crowds at west holts ... maybe I’m just looking back with tinted glasses .. Park would be superb :) 

I dunno. I did actually see them headline the Avalon Stage in 2004, when Oasis were stinking out the Pyramid. Yes, the field got closed off (as it did for at least a couple acts this year) but I don't remember there being a huge problem with crowds outside. Are they going to be a much bigger draw than that 16 years later?

3 minutes ago, incident said:

I dunno. I did actually see them headline the Avalon Stage in 2004, when Oasis were stinking out the Pyramid. Yes, the field got closed off (as it did for at least a couple acts this year) but I don't remember there being a huge problem with crowds outside. Are they going to be a much bigger draw than that 16 years later?

Probably not :) ... maybe wishful thinking on my part ... and I’m also very Park stage light 

4 hours ago, Skelts said:

Yep, get there next year. It’s a fantastic festival. Someone put a highlights reel on the BD part of efests, check it out. 

And I can’t even tell you how good Skunk Anansie were, words fail me. 

Yes, they were indeed but it was Ferocious Dog that did it for me. They have come a long way.

Also Gaz Brookfield MUST (please) get a Glastonbury slot next year. The crowd he drew so early in the day was amazing.

Saw them at Cropredy last year and they stank the field out. For reasons best known to themselves and never adequately explained, they decided to play a seated set accompanied by a string quartet (I shit you not) they had "re-imagined" many of their classic choons and they were unrecognisable, it was pissing down and I nearly walked off.

Ironically, a few weeks earlier I had seen a Levellers tribute band who were so much better than the real thing (sorry Mr. Hewson) it was almost embarrassing.

Yeah, I think that was what they did. I did idly wonder if they inflicted upon their own fans at BD last year?

I always think that a "Festival Set" should be essentially a "Greatest Hits" set. I was really disappointed with them at Cropredy, they were one of the reasons I chose that festival in 18.

27 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

Yeah, I think that was what they did. I did idly wonder if they inflicted upon their own fans at BD last year?

I always think that a "Festival Set" should be essentially a "Greatest Hits" set. I was really disappointed with them at Cropredy, they were one of the reasons I chose that festival in 18.

Got to agree with that. We went to cropredy that year mainly because the levellers and Brian Wilson were playing, and glasto wasn’t on. Thought they were poor though it was bloody cold when they were playing. Nice wee village and pubs to wander about in during the day was the best part. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

Oh I really liked the festival as you say it is sort of "integrated" into the village and there are bands playing in the pubs. Brian Wilson was a good example of how to do a "Festival" set. Even though his voice has completely gone the musicianship of his band and of course the joyous music was superb. There was plenty of great music to enjoy and a lovely relaxed vibe. If I fail to get G tickets for 2020 I will look at the line up there for my festival fix (along with Bearded Theory, Green Man and probably ironically Beautiful Days)

11 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

Oh I really liked the festival as you say it is sort of "integrated" into the village and there are bands playing in the pubs. Brian Wilson was a good example of how to do a "Festival" set. Even though his voice has completely gone the musicianship of his band and of course the joyous music was superb. There was plenty of great music to enjoy and a lovely relaxed vibe. If I fail to get G tickets for 2020 I will look at the line up there for my festival fix (along with Bearded Theory, Green Man and probably ironically Beautiful Days)

Had a good laugh at the bar steward sons of val doonican. They did the Avalon this year and didn’t disappoint. 

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

They did an acoustic or orchestral album recently which frankly I dont feel would work at any festival. One for the fans but does not translate to a festival imho.

1 hour ago, Rumblestripe said:

They did it as the opening set in the Big Top stage on the Friday morning, then played the hits properly on the Sunday night closer.

But yeah, even as a diehard fan I'd have been a bit miffed if that was their one set.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2019 at 2:00 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Watching the levellers on TV is my first Glastonbury memory. It is what sparked my interest. Definitely be there.

Sadly 1994 was the year the Pyramid Stage burned down just over a week before the festival.It was the first year it was covered on TV - it was Channel 4 although not sure how extensive the coverage was.There was a Claimed 300,000 people standing there on the Friday night although who was doing the counting is not clear.

so did Channel 4 cover the whole Levellers set ? as I was in that crowd so did not see it on TV.

https://youtu.be/ju7G9jhy-YM

29 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

Sadly 1994 was the year the Pyramid Stage burned down just over a week before the festival.It was the first year it was covered on TV - it was Channel 4 although not sure how extensive the coverage was.There was a Claimed 300,000 people standing there on the Friday night although who was doing the counting is not clear.

so did Channel 4 cover the whole Levellers set ? as I was in that crowd so did not see it on TV.

Is that the set that's in the Ann Goode film?

On 9/3/2019 at 10:23 AM, glasto-worker said:

Not aware they covered the whole set but it may exist in their archives since I've just recently got the whole thing on vinyl.

14 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I cant say although I doubt Anne Goode {Christian fundamentalist} would have bothered to get down to see it live.

I'm well aware of the old battle axe, having been astonished at ME's patience in the doc which features the levellers

from 92, as they mention the travellers being not on site.

Edited by clarkete

1994 was the first time I'd ever seen or heard of the festival, and was well in to the Levellers as a teen around that time. Must have watched my VHS of that coverage hundreds of time! I'd be all over this (but probably not going next year)..

Went to the Levelling the Land tour a couple of years ago and they sounded great still.