BLACKPINK

Matt42

• 5 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Imagine my excitement at finding this thread...

Confidently put them in the "will never play Glastonbury" category if you want, but there's a lot of acts that people would've put in that category at one point who ended up playing.

They are way way way too big now

48 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Bigger than Taylor Swift? Adele? Ed Sheeran?

Obviously not but they wouldn’t accept anything lower than a headline booking so I can’t see it ever happening.

Same as BTS. They won’t play in any slot lower than headline so it won’t happen.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Obviously not but they wouldn’t accept anything lower than a headline booking so I can’t see it ever happening.

Same as BTS. They won’t play in any slot lower than headline so it won’t happen.

Not saying it will happen, or even that it's likely, but loads of stuff has happened that would've looked completely absurd and impossible a few years before. The festival management, the audience and its global standing is changing every year, and artists evolve as well. Ruling out anything from BLACKPINK headlining in a few years time when a massive chunk of the crowd has a DOB year in the 00s and headlining Glastonbury is such hot shit that no amount of money can buy that kind of publicity, to the festival being a complete irrelevance to Gen Z and fading down into a nostalgia weekend for middle aged people, and anything in between is silly. You just don't know how things are going to go, and more outlandish things have happened. Imagine if somebody had said in 2009 that 10 years later Hannah Montana was going to rip the pyramid stage a new one.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Not saying it will happen, or even that it's likely, but loads of stuff has happened that would've looked completely absurd and impossible a few years before. The festival management, the audience and its global standing is changing every year, and artists evolve as well. Ruling out anything from BLACKPINK headlining in a few years time when a massive chunk of the crowd has a DOB year in the 00s and headlining Glastonbury is such hot shit that no amount of money can buy that kind of publicity, to the festival being a complete irrelevance to Gen Z and fading down into a nostalgia weekend for middle aged people, and anything in between is silly. You just don't know how things are going to go, and more outlandish things have happened. Imagine if somebody had said in 2009 that 10 years later Hannah Montana was going to rip the pyramid stage a new one.

I’m not ruling out the festival booking some K Pop but the problem is that K Pop artists are very used to filling stadiums with their own fans and their management probably expects the same for a major festival. They are simply too big in their own lane and a mid-sized slot at a festival just wouldn’t appeal to them.

Even when Blackpink played coachella they had one of the most prominent slots of the weekend.

I would love to see K Pop at Glastonbury but their audience is not very diverse, people are either shit into K Pop or they know nothing about it. I can’t see it happening for Glastonbury.

6 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I’m not ruling out the festival booking some K Pop but the problem is that K Pop artists are very used to filling stadiums with their own fans and their management probably expects the same for a major festival. They are simply too big in their own lane and a mid-sized slot at a festival just wouldn’t appeal to them.

Even when Blackpink played coachella they had one of the most prominent slots of the weekend.

I would love to see K Pop at Glastonbury but their audience is not very diverse, people are either shit into K Pop or they know nothing about it. I can’t see it happening for Glastonbury.

Sahara tent in the evening is good but Its what they did with their set that matters. There is nothing to indicate that theyre a headline or nothing act now. Theyve only been booked by one festival and its the one that seemingly keeps taking chances and progressing with bookings in certain genres. People dont know what they like til they see it. You need to take the chance, but is Emily willing to do it. A detractor to Glastonbury is that nobody can really buy tickets so if theyre on the poster you might get a handful of their core to show up. And I wouldnt say the k pop audience isnt diverse. Say that to the stans on twitter and you can enjoy your mentions get obliterated.

16 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Not saying it will happen, or even that it's likely, but loads of stuff has happened that would've looked completely absurd and impossible a few years before.

There are however many, many more things that people would deem unimaginable at Glastonbury… and it turns out they’re absolutely right and it never happens.

22 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I'm all over the shop in terms of involvement on this thread. However, that was a cracking read. It made perfect sense to me. 

However, I am missing large tracks of data by not having read the thread in its entirety. 

The knowledge of the above has helped me with the decision on a personal issue that I need to address one way or the other. Still unsure of which of the two options I have, within that framework, to choose from. However this time has told me that it's got to be one or the other. I either can or cannot live out time waiting to try to help two people, or not. Would my helping not only not be of any help, but would it be a crass intrusion? Heads spinning a little (nothing unusual there) on this one.

PS - I don't think I'm looking for advice on this one. However, it is nice that I have somewhere where I can write / express such things.

Thank you. 

It's appreciated.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Think they are highly likely now - their New Zealand show on the 21st June was cancelled due to logistical challenges.

They now have a gap between the 17th June (in Aus) to the 2nd July. Their 2nd July show is the one at Hyde Park.

Edited by Matt42