BLACKPINK

Matt42

Potential first self confirm for 2020? One of K Pop’s biggest girl groups who played Coachella this year. The production behind their festival set was absolutely madness!

to anyone unfamiliar 

amazing to see some K pop juggernauts potentially come to the farm. West Holts headliners?

157F21AB-A4F3-4F07-805B-C6BFA289AF69.png

45 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Doesn't read like a self-confirmation to me.

Really can't see these playing Glastonbury.

Tbh they are weird one because they are massive in their own circles but it doesn’t exactly cross over into Glastonbury’s audience.

Over the past year they’ve tried hard to break the western market. I imagine that explains why they showed up at Coachella. Perhaps they are willing to accept a low slot to increase their profile over here

I can understand why the booking might be a bit weird. A group virtually unheard of in the UK coming along and probably demanding a pretty high slot. 

They have some bangers though, and put on a pretty impressive stage show.

Hasn’t Glastonbury always represented music globally?

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I can understand why the booking might be a bit weird. A group virtually unheard of in the UK coming along and probably demanding a pretty high slot. 

They have some bangers though, and put on a pretty impressive stage show.

Hasn’t Glastonbury always represented music globally?

It's not an unreasonable point, but I guess it comes back to the pop music question, and what is "suitable" for Glastonbury (heavy use of quotations there)

It's not my cup of tea, although I might try a couple of other tracks. But with Babymetal this year there's clearly a recognition of that world of Asian pop; be interesting to see if it does become more represented at the festival.

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

It's not an unreasonable point, but I guess it comes back to the pop music question, and what is "suitable" for Glastonbury (heavy use of quotations there)

It's not my cup of tea, although I might try a couple of other tracks. But with Babymetal this year there's clearly a recognition of that world of Asian pop; be interesting to see if it does become more represented at the festival.

All comes down to interpretation of what you think Glastobury’s booking policy is.

If BLACKPINK approached the festival and were booked for a reasonable sized slot I don’t see the issue at all? I think the credibility argument is too subjective.

I do think that the reason why pop is more prevalent on current lineups is because pop stars give glasto a bit more attention than they used to. Plus, the Asian market is massive and to see some recognition on the lineup would be a good thing.

22 minutes ago, Quark said:

Thing is though, it is a largely unknown genre to the general public, there was that one breakthrough act (who are now 'on a sabatical') that sold out Wembley but that was only 12 year old girls, their parents and Matt.

Edited by Gnomicide
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Thing is though, it is a largely unknown genre to the general public, there was that one breakthrough act (who are now 'on a sabatical') that sold out Wembley but that was only 12 year old girls, their parents and Matt.

BTS don’t really appeal to me. I have heard that their latest album isn’t too bad but I don’t really have the energy to listen to it.

It is remarkable though that an act not played on the radio sold out Wembley. Just goes to show how much the internet has changed the music scene. 

56 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

All comes down to interpretation of what you think Glastobury’s booking policy is.

If BLACKPINK approached the festival and were booked for a reasonable sized slot I don’t see the issue at all? I think the credibility argument is too subjective.

I do think that the reason why pop is more prevalent on current lineups is because pop stars give glasto a bit more attention than they used to. Plus, the Asian market is massive and to see some recognition on the lineup would be a good thing.

It's not just credibility with Blackpink though, it's also awareness. Yes, it could be debated whether the Spice Girls are a credible enough act/deserve to be there but there's no doubt it would be a big deal and would interest a lot of people. Blackpink, however, don't have that awareness, let alone fans, at Glastonbury. We're not simply talking about a big pop act here, we're talking about a Korean girl group with no relevance in the UK and to Glastonbury's demographics. Why would Glasto waste a reasonably-sized slot on them? Why should they care about 'giving recognition' to the Asian k-pop market which is unashamedly targeted at young girls (which is fine of course, that's its reason raison d'etre)? The audience absolutely is important, it's about more so much more than an act's global streaming numbers.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

I was there, at Wembley, at 22 years of age. Not with a younger sibling, of my own free will. And I had a blast. One of the best shows I've been to this year, along with The Cure at Way Out West and Foo Fighters at Lolla Stockholm.

There is plenty of Armies and Blinks and what-not who are over the age of 12, 15, 18, 20, 30, you name it. Their demographic is focused on young girls, yes, but still quite wide anyway.

I'm very sure we'll get to see some K-pop at Glasto, sooner or later, though I'm not betting on Blackpink. But for any smaller act (TXT, G-Friend, NCT 127, ITZY, Stray Kids), to claim to be the first K-pop act at one of the most respected festivals in the world, that's a huge motivation to accept smaller stages and lower slots I think.

4 hours ago, The Martini Police said:

It's not just credibility with Blackpink though, it's also awareness. Yes, it could be debated whether the Spice Girls are a credible enough act/deserve to be there but there's no doubt it would be a big deal and would interest a lot of people. Blackpink, however, don't have that awareness, let alone fans, at Glastonbury. We're not simply talking about a big pop act here, we're talking about a Korean girl group with no relevance in the UK and to Glastonbury's demographics. Why would Glasto waste a reasonably-sized slot on them? Why should they care about 'giving recognition' to the Asian k-pop market which is unashamedly targeted at young girls (which is fine of course, that's its reason raison d'etre)? The audience absolutely is important, it's about more so much more than an act's global streaming numbers.

Why did they add a death metal stage? How many fans of hardcore were going to glasto and asking for it? Not many or none I suspect. The festival would sell out 4 times over, I think they can afford to book a few acts like this if they feel like it. People will watch whatever is on not every band has to be known.  I’ve watched a few of their gigs on YouTube I think they’d be a laugh.

42 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Why did they add a death metal stage? How many fans of hardcore were going to glasto and asking for it? Not many or none I suspect. The festival would sell out 4 times over, I think they can afford to book a few acts like this if they feel like it. People will watch whatever is on not every band has to be known.  I’ve watched a few of their gigs on YouTube I think they’d be a laugh.

It's not a 'death metal' stage. And there were people saying every year that there should be a hard rock and metal stage. People still say that there should be more of it. I can't believe you've never noticed people calling for more hard rock and metal, or for a specific stage before there was one.

There's no massive call that there should be more K-Pop, or that loads of Glastonbury-goers are satisfied with what's on but are stunned by the continued ignorance of K-Pop. It's something that I would guess has little crossover with people inside the gates and you just said it would be "a laugh" so at the very best it seems like it'd be something for people to go and laugh at. On the whole, I think it's something that could happen eventually but there's no reason for Glastonbury to rush into booking these acts before they're anything more than a curio.

If they're gonna book any girl group it should probably be Little Mix (Would also settle for the sugababes reunion if they ever settle that court case).

Blackpink are probably the biggest k-pop group other than BTS, but I think I've only ever heard people call them "those people on that Dua Lipa song"

Could stick it on in the kids field?

To my ears k-pop is just 2000s bubblegum pop, file alongside Girls Aloud, with the added innovation that its in korean. 

Glastonbury would still sell out without putting on whatever fad happens to be de jour. It did then and it will now. I don’t want to say people who like pop/chart music shouldn’t come, I absolutely want them to, but they will anyway and better that the festival has more continuity with what went before. And to me that is that its a place sitting a little outside of the cultural mainstream, populated by people who identify with that.

I just read the levellers thread just before this. Why after this year do I feel that this k-pop band is almost the more likely of the two to be booked?

It feels a little like a load of people have turned up to a pizzeria and complained that they’d rather eat mexican, to the point where the pizzeria feels pressured enough to start having a stab at making mexican food. But the question will always be, why come to the pizzeria?

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, june20211 said:

The main thing for me what separates them from other KPOP groups is that a lot of their text is in english so it makes it a lot more relatable and catchy for a foreign Blink.

: in comes BTS with 4 number 1 songs in english this past year : 🤔

Edited by Suprefan

When I started this thread black pink weren’t exactly known at all but things have changed very fast. I’d confidently put them in the category of “will never play Glastonbury” now.

Edited by Matt42