Sziget 2020

jj200

2 hours ago, CCester said:

Probably it's going to be  4 Aug - 11 Aug as it's usually starts on the second week of August, but I'm pretty sure there will be an official statement soon.

Great thanks! I will wait till the end of the week to see if the official statement comes out. 

3 hours ago, CCester said:

Probably it's going to be  4 Aug - 11 Aug as it's usually starts on the second week of August, but I'm pretty sure there will be an official statement soon.

They 'll try to reschedule most of the acts probably, so they'll  put some similar dates like this year I think

Hopefully they bring back the Sunday moving in day. Flights can't be really booked yet anyway can they? Not available with BA anyway.

I don't expect dates being confirmed until the autumn. Although you would imagine it will be the same dates. They can't really do it earlier with Volt late June and Balaton mid July.

Edited by thetime

3 hours ago, thetime said:

Hopefully they bring back the Sunday moving in day. Flights can't be really booked yet anyway can they? Not available with BA anyway.

I don't expect dates being confirmed until the autumn. Although you would imagine it will be the same dates. They can't really do it earlier with Volt late June and Balaton mid July.

Hope that it would be around 5th of August, otherwise they are in risk of losing some acts.

It looks like some acts were calculating with postponed or scheduled festivals later this year

On 7/15/2020 at 1:43 PM, Festcrazy said:

Hope that it would be around 5th of August, otherwise they are in risk of losing some acts.

It looks like some acts were calculating with postponed or scheduled festivals later this year

I booked flights for this years festival without knowing the dates of the festival on the 4th December. 

I doubt a date announcement is anytime soon.

Edited by thetime

3 minutes ago, Hullabaloo92 said:

Could this actually pushed back a couple of days or single week to grab The Strokes again?

They are playing some US shows in early August and probably won't return to those scandinavian festivals, but I guess this has already been mentioned before....

They were announced in 2020 as well, didn't stop them being announced for sziget and Outlands. 

Sziget have never been in any rush to announce dates, I suspect it will be on the same week. 

ithbvvpat2s41.jpg

22 hours ago, Hullabaloo92 said:

Could this actually pushed back a couple of days or single week to grab The Strokes again?

They are playing some US shows in early August and probably won't return to those scandinavian festivals, but I guess this has already been mentioned before....

Where did you read about US shows in August? 

Only problem can be the fact that US shows won't be possible in the first half of the year, so they'll need to reschedule them later and August looks like a pretty option unfortunately.

But again they have fall/winter which is the most possible for indoors in US, but again think that The Voidz are planning to record the album at that time, so problems again.

It's very possible that they accepted Outside Lands somewhere in March cuz lineup appeared in April where European festivals started to get canceled.

EDIT: and Scandinavian festivals looks like totally mess in 2021, almost all in the same week, so I think that they would skip them which makes Sziget whit Splendour In The Grass in late July and Outside lands in 8th of July  little possible.

Edited by Festcrazy

1 hour ago, Festcrazy said:

EDIT: and Scandinavian festivals looks like totally mess in 2021, almost all in the same week, so I think that they would skip them which makes Sziget whit Splendour In The Grass in late July and Outside lands in 8th of July  little possible.

This just means they will have similar acts to make it easier to attract big names to northern europe or across the pond. Similar to the lollapaloozas in south america which run the same weekend to get most headliners doing 2/3 of the dates

16 hours ago, gfa said:

This just means they will have similar acts to make it easier to attract big names to northern europe or across the pond. Similar to the lollapaloozas in south america which run the same weekend to get most headliners doing 2/3 of the dates

It's hard to imagine them ignoring Sweden. They performed everytime in Sweden after new LP was realised , so the option is to put Scandinavian festivals in 2022 (with Sziget) or do it the next year. They aren't doing Lollapalooza in Stockholm, so Way Out West is the only chance for Sweden.

I saw that they are doing one cancelled US show in March 2022, so maybe they are planning to to the rest of US shows at that time.

On 7/17/2020 at 2:19 PM, thetime said:

I booked flights for this years festival without knowing the dates of the festival on the 4th December. 

I doubt a date announcement is anytime soon.

Well it's strange to read this. They usually announce their dates on the same week the festival ended, but at least by then end of August. I can't recall we had to wait until December for next years dates.
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=f8a8309cca071301&page=view&resid=F8A8309CCA071301!72908&parId=F8A8309CCA071301!72150&authkey=!AFtZiAt9-YItpdU&app=Word
In this press release they mention that it will start on 5 Aug, so in the beginning of November we already knew the exact dates. But right, now I remember that last years long wait was pretty unusual. 
(Here's another one from 2016. On 17 Aug they released the following year's dates. https://cefestivals.wordpress.com/2016/08/17/sziget-2016-kozel-felmillioan-voltunk/?fbclid=IwAR15K5MhNIylKad12m1O5OnVQtKHTlsWQgd70t4sKgT21nPaeXimjEP-IXs)

I don't think it will be too long until we know the dates for next year.

1 hour ago, CCester said:

Well it's strange to read this. They usually announce their dates on the same week the festival ended, but at least by then end of August. I can't recall we had to wait until December for next years dates.
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=f8a8309cca071301&page=view&resid=F8A8309CCA071301!72908&parId=F8A8309CCA071301!72150&authkey=!AFtZiAt9-YItpdU&app=Word
In this press release they mention that it will start on 5 Aug, so in the beginning of November we already knew the exact dates. But right, now I remember that last years long wait was pretty unusual. 
(Here's another one from 2016. On 17 Aug they released the following year's dates. https://cefestivals.wordpress.com/2016/08/17/sziget-2016-kozel-felmillioan-voltunk/?fbclid=IwAR15K5MhNIylKad12m1O5OnVQtKHTlsWQgd70t4sKgT21nPaeXimjEP-IXs)

I don't think it will be too long until we know the dates for next year.

They need to put the dates unless they won't lose artists, some festivals put out dates right after cancellation announcement. Idk why they need to wait longer then 5th of August, only if they already have all acts confirmed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 2:43 PM, Festcrazy said:

They need to put the dates unless they won't lose artists, some festivals put out dates right after cancellation announcement. Idk why they need to wait longer then 5th of August, only if they already have all acts confirmed.

The northern part of the island is owned by the Mayor's office, but the government wants to build a dam around the whole island, so they can protect the new sports academy they'll build on the southern part of it. If the construction will come true, it will surely influence all the upcoming editions of the festival. It's not official yet, they are just plans as far as I know, but maybe they are waiting for the outcome.

22 hours ago, CCester said:

The northern part of the island is owned by the Mayor's office, but the government wants to build a dam around the whole island, so they can protect the new sports academy they'll build on the southern part of it. If the construction will come true, it will surely influence all the upcoming editions of the festival. It's not official yet, they are just plans as far as I know, but maybe they are waiting for the outcome.

OMG, so probably we'll lose Sziget? 

Sziget is just posting virtual festival stuff and nothing about the dates which is weird. 

37 minutes ago, Festcrazy said:

OMG, so probably we'll lose Sziget? 

Sziget is just posting virtual festival stuff and nothing about the dates which is weird. 

I hope not, Sziget attracts  way too many tourists to shut it down. It would be a suicide from the government. The problem is that the situation is not clear. The mayor's office is dedicated to leave the northern part as it is now, with the trees, the flood basin, the green fields. But the government can expropriate the island and build the dam and anything they want. The main problem is, you can't let thousands of drunk people on a building site. 

I think they'll announce the new date after the online edition.

Edited by CCester

30 minutes ago, CCester said:

I hope not, Sziget attracts  way too many tourists to shut it down. It would be a suicide from the government. The problem is that the situation is not clear. The mayor's office is dedicated to leave the northern part as it is now, with the trees, the flood basin, the green fields. But the government can expropriate the island and build the dam and anything they want. The main problem is, you can't let thousands of drunk people on a building site. 

I think they'll announce the new date after the online edition.

The deadline is 30 September,they gotta provide all the permits etc until this date, and if that wont happen I guess the whole dam thing is cancelled,at least for now. But as you said,it would be a suicide from the gov, so even if the dam happens Im sure they’ll find a solution for Sziget. Also,they cant really postpone the festival as its already around the end of  summer.

21 minutes ago, bunnyv said:

The deadline is 30 September,they gotta provide all the permits etc until this date, and if that wont happen I guess the whole dam thing is cancelled,at least for now. But as you said,it would be a suicide from the gov, so even if the dam happens Im sure they’ll find a solution for Sziget. Also,they cant really postpone the festival as its already around the end of  summer.

I didn't know about the deadline, thanks. The Minister of the Prime Minister's Office has just said that they won't build anything unless the mayor's office supports is, so there will be no dam or anything else (including the sports academy on the southern edge of the island, which is a shame. That part could use some renovation). We'll see.

Edited by CCester

On 7/30/2020 at 11:32 AM, CCester said:

I didn't know about the deadline, thanks. The Minister of the Prime Minister's Office has just said that they won't build anything unless the mayor's office supports is, so there will be no dam or anything else (including the sports academy on the southern edge of the island, which is a shame. That part could use some renovation). We'll see.

What a situation, hope that Mayor's office won't let dam, meaning Sziget is very important for tourism. 

But I can see how this affects artists now.

So dates probably around 30th of September?

3 hours ago, Festcrazy said:

What a situation, hope that Mayor's office won't let dam, meaning Sziget is very important for tourism. 

But I can see how this affects artists now.

So dates probably around 30th of September?

Some people held a demonstration in form of a human chain a couple weeks ago in the island,and looks like it worked. The mayor of Budapest is definitely against it the dam,just like the mayor of the district. From what I read,people say they will probably build the academy somewhere else,however they didnt throw the concept of a dam in the rubbish completely,but the island and its trees are safe for now. So it shouldnt influence Sziget 

934A4288-F710-491E-A0BC-2DB5FBA43C70.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...