Sziget 2020

jj200

7 minutes ago, Isaacw77 said:

How so?

They can not come to Europe for only ONE show .. Plus, the crisis in the US might last longer than in Europe, and I honestly don't think that Hungary will allow peope from everywhere around the world to come. This time I think its over :(

27 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

They can not come to Europe for only ONE show .. Plus, the crisis in the US might last longer than in Europe, and I honestly don't think that Hungary will allow peope from everywhere around the world to come. This time I think its over :(

When I was at wireless in 2018 , Drake left his vacation to come perform for literally 20 minutes so i dont think that’s anything to go by, however Hungary actually allowing people to come is a whole nother story

Edited by Isaacw77

29 minutes ago, Isaacw77 said:

When I was at wireless in 2018 , Drake left his vacation to come perform for literally 20 minutes so i dont think that’s anything to go by, however Hungary actually allowing people to come is a whole nother story

we are not even sure travel bans will be lifted by august, let alone organize a tour/concert and a festival that packs 70000 people a day on an island

2020 is off and until we have more evidence of immunization after having been in contact with the virus or a vaccine is widely available, I think also 2021 festival season could be endangered

in this situation gatherings with more than 5k people will be the last thing to be re allowed

• Upvote 1

From a purely selfish p.o.v, I hope we will at least be able to still use our flights and accommodation in Budapest for the duration of the festival (which, let's face it, is definitely not happening this year).

After being stuck in the house for what will be at least six weeks and probably more, I can't see any serious issues with us visiting and doing the tourist bit as long we practice social distancing. It's the large social gatherings (concerts, sports events etc) that look unlikely for at least the next 12 months.

Plus, there will be many businesses that will be desperate for the tourist dollar or potentially face going under.

1 minute ago, swelsbyuk said:

From a purely selfish p.o.v, I hope we will at least be able to still use our flights and accommodation in Budapest for the duration of the festival (which, let's face it, is definitely not happening this year).

After being stuck in the house for what will be at least six weeks and probably more, I can't see any serious issues with us visiting and doing the tourist bit as long we practice social distancing. It's the large social gatherings (concerts, sports events etc) that look unlikely for at least the next 12 months.

Plus, there will be many businesses that will be desperate for the tourist dollar or potentially face going under.

Agree with your analysis but you won't be able to social distance to get there unless you plan on taking the train.

It's not possible to social distance at airports/on the plane.

24 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Agree with your analysis but you won't be able to social distance to get there unless you plan on taking the train.

It's not possible to social distance at airports/on the plane.

Etihad Airways has today starting testing their passengers for the virus on arrival at check-in and easyjet is not selling the middle seats on flights to create some distancing. I guess this will become the norm in the next few months.

Suspect everyone will be given face masks on flights over the coming year and a massive increase in cleaning the inside of the aircraft after each flight will begin.

Also suspect that, with every third seat not being sold, that we will see the cost of flying increase significantly once the summer period is over.  

Edited by swelsbyuk

6 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Etihad Airways has today starting testing their passengers for the virus on arrival at check-in and easyjet is not selling the middle seats on flights to create some distancing. I guess this will become the norm in the next few months.

Suspect everyone will be given face masks on flights over the coming year and a massive increase in cleaning will begin.

Also suspect that, with every third seat not being sold, that we will see the cost of flying increase significantly once the summer period is over.  

Yes to the face masks and cleaning but not sure if I agree with the other points.

- It's impossible to test for the virus at check in, at best they can rule out a few people with a fever but the risk is people who are asymptomatic 

- Not selling the middle seat is not social distancing. Social distancing is 2 metres - it's not magically safe at 1 metre when it suits corporates. There is only one way to fly safely and that is to enforce quarantine on arrival (which would be too expensive).

- The cost of flying, as always, will be driven by supply and demand. The price will come down to stimulate interest.

On 4/16/2020 at 4:45 PM, swelsbyuk said:

Suspect everyone will be given face masks on flights over the coming year and a massive increase in cleaning the inside of the aircraft after each flight will begin.

We are also from UK and are planning to do the same- we have tickets for a week, if festival is cancelled and travel restrictions lifted will still plan to go to Budapest, as flights and apartment are booked. Would be a dream if the festival went ahead, we loved it last year but again we don't think it will.

13 hours ago, Nicolaking89 said:

We are also from UK and are planning to do the same- we have tickets for a week, if festival is cancelled and travel restrictions lifted will still plan to go to Budapest, as flights and apartment are booked. Would be a dream if the festival went ahead, we loved it last year but again we don't think it will.

There is absolutely no chance of any festivals before september, especially not sziget as it is 70,000 people a day from all around the world. It is cancelled.

For your sake I hope you can go to budapest for the week for a holiday but it is also possible Schengen countries will still not be allowing people from the UK in by that point- the situation in Hungary is nowhere near as bad as this mess of a situation in the UK and I’m quite sure they would like to keep it that way.

The only way I can see any situation changing for a long time is a treatment or vaccine being found, but neither of those are going to happen before august. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

There is absolutely no chance of any festivals before september, especially not sziget as it is 70,000 people a day from all around the world. It is cancelled.

For your sake I hope you can go to budapest for the week for a holiday but it is also possible Schengen countries will still not be allowing people from the UK in by that point- the situation in Hungary is nowhere near as bad as this mess of a situation in the UK and I’m quite sure they would like to keep it that way.

The only way I can see any situation changing for a long time is a treatment or vaccine being found, but neither of those are going to happen before august. 

Eastern European countries have done very well in controlling the virus, strict lock down rules have certainly helped.

It's quite apparent that the festival will be cancelled, they are leaving it like most festivals for the government's to decide. Which you would imagine is all to do with insurance.

23 minutes ago, thetime said:

Eastern European countries have done very well in controlling the virus, strict lock down rules have certainly helped.

It's quite apparent that the festival will be cancelled, they are leaving it like most festivals for the government's to decide. Which you would imagine is all to do with insurance.

Surely they're considering all the best options in case of any decision by Hungarian Government, but we all know it's not just a Hungary-related question or even Eastern Europe one: most of the artists, promoters, sponsors, crowd don't come from Eastern Europe and, even if Hungary removes any restriction before August (and I doubt it will) it will be impossible to imagine a big festival happening.

I do fully expect the Festival to be cancelled as I said before. I can some larger or American acts cancelling so that they can just re do all the festivals next year. The only glimmer of hope is that the Tour de France is rearranged to August as well as the Champions league final. Throw in the fact Hungary seem to have a low number off cases I think there is a slight chance that it may go ahead.

If it does go ahead, I can see a few acts changing and a few will be desperate to get back touring. I have flights booked and not sure If I should go or take the hit on the trip. I have been to Budapest a few times now so is there enough to spend 10 nights in the city.

I could imagine festivals in Hungary in late summer. Kolorádó and Fising on Orfü have been postponed. However I think Sziget is such a huge and international festival that I hardly can imagine it will take place as the last years. Surely they want to avoid so many foreigners at one place, especially from UK?

1 hour ago, HeavyDevy said:

I could imagine festivals in Hungary in late summer. Kolorádó and Fising on Orfü have been postponed. However I think Sziget is such a huge and international festival that I hardly can imagine it will take place as the last years. Surely they want to avoid so many foreigners at one place, especially from UK?

Sziget have a lot of overseas visitors, that is  Sziget's biggest customers. The countries where the most visitors come from are the UK, Italy, France, Germany and Holland. 

You would need to be very naive if you think Sziget has even a slight chance of going ahead. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, thetime said:

Sziget have a lot of overseas visitors, that is  Sziget's biggest customers. The countries where the most visitors come from are the UK, Italy, France, Germany and Holland. 

You would need to be very naive if you think Sziget has even a slight chance of going ahead. 

No need to be rude

15 hours ago, thetime said:

Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany has just been cancelled and that's in September... and attracts people from all over the world.

No festivals (especially international) until 2021 I reckon. Reckon Coachella in October will be off too.

Oktoberfest in September? Interesting!

It wouldn't surprise me if Coachella did go ahead given Trump's bullishness.

Sziget obviously not going ahead - or certainly not as we know it.

I hope they announce soon and ask everyone to roll their tickets over to next year. If most agree, this should ensure the festival's survival.

The coming summer there will be no major events and festivals in the Netherlands, as has just been announced.
This will draw a line through the festival summer and major festivals such as Pinkpop, Bospop and Solar will not take place this year.

More and more concerts and festivals are being cancelled in Europe. I don't see it happening that Sziget can go ahead this year.

Festival is more than likely cancelled.

Previous owner and original founder of Sziget, Karoly Gerendai said there are work still being done, but the festival is waiting for the government to ban festivals so they can call vis maior.

https://index.hu/kultur/2020/04/24/gerendai_karoly_sziget_budapest_park_costes_lupa_balaton_sound/

It's done.

Edited by ambushka
added actual content.

16 minutes ago, JustAFan said:

Hello! I need to sell my 7-day pass because I am in need on money and I cannot longer attend the festival, even if it doesnt get cancelled. I have tried using TicketSwap but they do not support banks from my country. Do you have any suggestions as to how could I sell it? 

Unfortunately at this point I don't think anyone will be wanting to purchase a 7 day pass.

I reckon the festival will be cancelled within the next month. It is probably best to wait until then and then contact the festival about a refund.  

• Upvote 1