Sziget 2020

jj200

I found this on Sziget's "At home with Sziget - Monday Vibes" playlist, playlist is updated 14h ago, and I found at the end of it names that are not performing this year or names that haven't been mentioned before like Four Tet, Moses Sumney, Phoebe Bridges, Childish Gambino and The Avalanches. Playlist is made of songs by artists that are performing this year. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Screenshot_20200331-020635_Spotify.jpg

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ReljaGajić said:

I found this on Sziget's "At home with Sziget - Monday Vibes" playlist, playlist is updated 14h ago, and I found at the end of it names that are not performing this year or names that haven't been mentioned before like Four Tet, Moses Sumney, Phoebe Bridges, Childish Gambino and The Avalanches. Playlist is made of songs by artists that are performing this year. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Screenshot_20200331-020635_Spotify.jpg

Good call! Would make sense they are also playing this year (If eberything goes as planned) Would Childish Gambino be a Headliner or Sub?

28 minutes ago, The_Preach said:

Good call! Would make sense they are also playing this year (If eberything goes as planned) Would Childish Gambino be a Headliner or Sub?

He headlined Coachella last year, so there's no way he's going to sub.

If anything, I suspect Eminem has dropped all plans of touring in 2020 and Donald Glover is their backup, should the festival go ahead.

9 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

He headlined Coachella last year, so there's no way he's going to sub.

If anything, I suspect Eminem has dropped all plans of touring in 2020 and Donald Glover is their backup, should the festival go ahead.

Stormzy headlined Glasto and yet he's subbing at Sziget. It doesn't mean anything. Childish Gambino/Donald is huge in the USA/UK but not that much in mainland Europe.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

The Edinburgh Festival in Scotland (7 - 30 August) and Wimbledon tennis championship (29 June - 12 July) have both announced their cancellation today.

It's looking less likely by the day. Which breaks my heart a little.

I think or hope that we will be well over the first curve and be in a better position by August but there are so many things to take in that I am unable to see it going ahead.

The planning will be a nightmare for lots of people and acts, connections to and from other countries could be all over the place could be a nightmare.  I can see an announcement in a month or so. I hope they cancel it rather than postpone it.

I hope I am wrong. . .

Stay positive guys till we hear an update, Lovers and Friends festival has postponed till August so i dont we can go based on any other festivals activities , Professor Karol Sikora an oncologist (actually saved my dads life 22 years ago when he was in the cancer ward) reckons with the social distancing things should be better and restrictions lifted in May with the peak coming mid April , seems pretty optimistic but no one can say for sure , keep the faith guys

So assuming the festival is going ahead... can we assume a major line up change and downscaling of the line up?

I'm just wondering because Dua Lipa has cancelled her May tour and postponed to January meaning that sziget is now her only show this year(or at least that was announced before festival announcements pretty much halted). I don't really know how it works in terms of artist's tours but obviously her and her crew would have to create the setlist, set up all the lighting and choreography and then rehearse as well with the rest of her band. Given the current situation it's likely they wouldn't be able to start rehearsing and practising until maybe mid may-June, however more to the question is...

Would they go to all that effort for just one headline show?

I can't say it's looking at all likely for sziget to go ahead this year but they are full steam ahead and very active on social media... but what are the chances of seeing those actual headliners perform? It's a similar situation for mad cool as Billie has postponed tour until 2021 meaning that it's also likely that she's pulled her festivals too? 

Dua was one of the main draws I had to sziget this year and was considering a 3 day pass, but now I think it's even less likely that if the festival does manage to go ahead, that she will actually be there?

57 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

So assuming the festival is going ahead... can we assume a major line up change and downscaling of the line up?

I'm just wondering because Dua Lipa has cancelled her May tour and postponed to January meaning that sziget is now her only show this year(or at least that was announced before festival announcements pretty much halted). I don't really know how it works in terms of artist's tours but obviously her and her crew would have to create the setlist, set up all the lighting and choreography and then rehearse as well with the rest of her band. Given the current situation it's likely they wouldn't be able to start rehearsing and practising until maybe mid may-June, however more to the question is...

I can't say it's looking at all likely for sziget to go ahead this year but they are full steam ahead and very active on social media... but what are the chances of seeing those actual headliners perform? It's a similar situation for mad cool as Billie has postponed tour until 2021 meaning that it's also likely that she's pulled her festivals too? 

Dua was one of the main draws I had to sziget this year and was considering a 3 day pass, but now I think it's even less likely that if the festival does manage to go ahead, that she will actually be there?

Considering that Sziget was the first major festival she headlined, I feel like she would be there even though it would be her only show this summer. I don't know what she planned for her tour this year but if I remember it well, her set up was quite basic 2 years ago. It was just her, 3-4 dancers and the band, more of an improvisation than choreography. Could be similar if she played.

After all it's still more likely that the festival will be cancelled.

Edited by Newjem

59 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Balaton has not been cancelled yet and that is a month before Sziget, you would imagine that will be cancelled before Sziget. It is just a waiting game with Sziget, I don't think it will be cancelled officially until at least june. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thetime said:

Balaton has not been cancelled yet and that is a month before Sziget, you would imagine that will be cancelled before Sziget. It is just a waiting game with Sziget, I don't think it will be cancelled officially until at least june. 

Exactly, they must wait, because if THEY make the decision to cancel, they won't get their refunds with insurance etc...

https://www.ouest-france.fr/economie/entreprises/crise-du-coronavirus/info-ouest-france-coronavirus-pourquoi-le-hellfest-2020-se-prepare-un-report-d-un-6799786

On this article, the HellFest Director in France explain why the festival won't happen, and why they can not say it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

https://index.hu/kultur/zene/2020/04/10/magyar_turisztikai_ugynokseg_guller_zoltan_fesztivalok_tamogatas_koronavirus/

Hungarian government pushing for no foreign performers in major festivals, the head of the Hungarian Tourist Agency says that it’s unlikely that a Sziget festival like last year’s will happen. It might not get cancelled but I hope they give a full refund if there will be only Hungarians performing. 

26 minutes ago, zonaldino said:

https://index.hu/kultur/zene/2020/04/10/magyar_turisztikai_ugynokseg_guller_zoltan_fesztivalok_tamogatas_koronavirus/

Hungarian government pushing for no foreign performers in major festivals, the head of the Hungarian Tourist Agency says that it’s unlikely that a Sziget festival like last year’s will happen. It might not get cancelled but I hope they give a full refund if there will be only Hungarians performing. 

A few points:

I read yesterday that countries in the Schengen area are thinking of imposing a three-month travel ban on those outside the area (mainly to stop visitors from the U.S, but it will also affect those from the UK). 

It would be interesting to know how many tickets Sziget has sold and how many of those are to punters from other countries.

Would it be worth holding a festival with only Hungarian acts? No disrespect to the performers but who would attend? I have seven tickets which have cost more than 2000 euros - these were not bought to watch seven days' worth of acts I've never heard of. 

I know most festival tickets contain terms and conditions related to changes in line-up not resulting in refunds but this would be a near 100% overhaul so refunds must surely be offered too. 

We already have flights and accommodation booked and paid for, so will be travelling to Budapest on 5 August unless told legally that we cannot.

If Sziget goes ahead with Hungarian acts only for 99 euros a ticket we might be tempted - but not for the 299 we've already paid!

Here in France, the President just said that there will be no festivals in France until mid-July at best. Same date for travellers outside the E.U.

So now it depends on Hungarian government, but Sziget might happen with E.U artists only AND also E.U pyblic... which makes me think that would be hell of a mess to reorganise, so yep, I believe there's only a LITTLE chance Sziget will happen this year...

1 hour ago, swelsbyuk said:

A few points:

I read yesterday that countries in the Schengen area are thinking of imposing a three-month travel ban on those outside the area (mainly to stop visitors from the U.S, but it will also affect those from the UK). 

It would be interesting to know how many tickets Sziget has sold and how many of those are to punters from other countries.

Would it be worth holding a festival with only Hungarian acts? No disrespect to the performers but who would attend? I have seven tickets which have cost more than 2000 euros - these were not bought to watch seven days' worth of acts I've never heard of. 

I know most festival tickets contain terms and conditions related to changes in line-up not resulting in refunds but this would be a near 100% overhaul so refunds must surely be offered too. 

We already have flights and accommodation booked and paid for, so will be travelling to Budapest on 5 August unless told legally that we cannot.

If Sziget goes ahead with Hungarian acts only for 99 euros a ticket we might be tempted - but not for the 299 we've already paid!

They would be shooting themselves in the foot, many customers who go back year on year wouldn't go back.

I wouldn't be surprised if an all Hungarian festival, it would be a way of not giving refunds.

Edited by thetime

Belgium and Germany have been hit hard by Coronavirus, Hungary in comparison hasn't. So it all depends what angle they go with, although I expect it to be cancelled.

I've personally decided not to go even if it's on, even though tickets/flights have been purchased.

23 minutes ago, thetime said:

Belgium and Germany have been hit hard by Coronavirus, Hungary in comparison hasn't. So it all depends what angle they go with, although I expect it to be cancelled.

I've personally decided not to go even if it's on, even though tickets/flights have been purchased.

No belgian and german festivals in August = no international bands in Europe in August.