Sziget 2020

jj200

1 hour ago, johnybegood said:

If somebody thinks that in August travelling from one european country to another will be permitted is a really optimistic person.

Rock Werchter, taking place early July, continue to communicate. "D-100" today (and on their website they also say that it's still on)

So we can still hope for Sziget , I guess we'll know a bit more end of April !

54 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

Rock Werchter, taking place early July, continue to communicate. "D-100" today (and on their website they also say that it's still on)

So we can still hope for Sziget , I guess we'll know a bit more end of April !

Likes of Download, Isle of Wight and parklife haven't been cancelled, they are mid June and we all know they will get cancelled.

13 minutes ago, thetime said:

Likes of Download, Isle of Wight and parklife haven't been cancelled, they are mid June and we all know they will get cancelled.

English fests' are indeed in danger, because the government fucked up, lets be honest. When the virus will decrease in some other countries, it will increase in GB.

On the other hand, in Hungary, as soon as they had a few people sick, they decide to close everything. They didn't lose a minute. If Sziget doens't take place, it will be because of the other countries, certainly not because of Hungary.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

English fests' are indeed in danger, because the government fucked up, lets be honest. When the virus will decrease in some other countries, it will increase in GB.

On the other hand, in Hungary, as soon as they had a few people sick, they decide to close everything. They didn't lose a minute. If Sziget doens't take place, it will be because of the other countries, certainly not because of Hungary.

As a festival where a big percentage of the audience are from the UK, Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland and the rest of the world. Do you really think the Hungarian government will take the risk of 100 thousand people to travel to Budapest.

In my mind it is cancelled, if it is on then that is an added bonus. Saying that if there was still a pandemic in most of Europe I would not risk going even if it was on.

Edited by thetime
  • Upvote 2

Budapest must get about that in tourism every weekend in bars and clubs so if they open for tourism they may have festival. 

The Hungarian GP if the Weeknd before it starts so that could be a good gauge if they cancel that.  

Dua lipa has rearranged her tour so have Biffy If they were ever coming. 

Also how will ticket sales go with every one thinking there could be a second wave.

Was one day already sold.out? 

I am not sure how many tickets they have sold already and want to make sure it goes ahead

Orban, the prime minister of Hungary has made a speech, claiming that people who think this will be over in 3 months are clueless, because the entire point of social distancing is to slow down the process (so it down’t collapse the health system). 
doing some quick maths this could take at least a year.

50 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Here, fixed for you. Nothing wrong, but I think it needed a little correction

In fairness to @everest, it is hard both to trust politicians and to separate the good from the bad ones.

So the original advice holds. Safest to only stick to the advice from the scientific community. No need to listen to non-experts in the internet age we have easy access to experts.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, everest said:

Orban is a dictator, don't listen politicians, only doctors and healthcare scientist

That is idiotic on many levels, but let me react to just one...

No matter what you think of him, the decision is in his hands. So if he says that they as goverment are planning to keep up the strong measures for months... than that’s that. This isn’t a health expert question.

And it’s not even contradicting what experts and BASIC maths are saying. The reason they are suppressing the virus is to rather have it around for a long time, but to stop the health system collapsing. Look up any articles on the subject.

20 minutes ago, Akujin sama said:

That is idiotic on many levels, but let me react to just one...

No matter what you think of him, the decision is in his hands. So if he says that they as goverment are planning to keep up the strong measures for months... than that’s that. This isn’t a health expert question.

And it’s not even contradicting what experts and BASIC maths are saying. The reason they are suppressing the virus is to rather have it around for a long time, but to stop the health system collapsing. Look up any articles on the subject.

I hear you and you're right that is doesn't contradict the experts on this occasion. And yes, the practicalities of the response will be determined by the politicians.

On the other hands how often do politicians make a strong pronouncement and then have to make a U-turn? 'That' is often not 'that'. e.g. Trump is making proclamations and then deviating from them on a near daily basis. 

In general terms the best way to understand the wider implications is to shut out the noise from politicians and listen to what the scientists predict.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I hear you and you're right that is doesn't contradict the experts on this occasion. And yes, the practicalities of the response will be determined by the politicians.

On the other hands how often do politicians make a strong pronouncement and then have to make a U-turn? 'That' is often not 'that'. e.g. Trump is making proclamations and then deviating from them on a near daily basis. 

In general terms the best way to understand the wider implications is to shut out the noise from politicians and listen to what the scientists predict.

Sure, I can agree to that. The reason why this statement was interesting is because it wasn’t a “state announcement” it was part of a discussion in parlament where he was talking to his colleagues who seemed to have the impression this will be gone in a couple of months. And to THAT basically he said he has no intentions of letting it up any time soon, for this reason.

so anyways, obviously not a guarantee but the prime minister’s stand is this and this could even affect Sziget’s decision making process now. Meaning, that they can possibly say you k ow what, seems to risky the earlier we cancel, the better.

Not saying it WILL happen but statements like this can have that effect.

8 minutes ago, Akujin sama said:

Sure, I can agree to that. The reason why this statement was interesting is because it wasn’t a “state announcement” it was part of a discussion in parlament where he was talking to his colleagues who seemed to have the impression this will be gone in a couple of months. And to THAT basically he said he has no intentions of letting it up any time soon, for this reason.

so anyways, obviously not a guarantee but the prime minister’s stand is this and this could even affect Sziget’s decision making process now. Meaning, that they can possibly say you k ow what, seems to risky the earlier we cancel, the better.

Not saying it WILL happen but statements like this can have that effect.

Yeah, 100%

Is Hungary a few weeks behind us with the viruse?

Download and Isle of Wight cancelled.  Throw in the tours being rearranged and will flights still be going it's maybe not going to happen.

Going to lose a fortune but I think there are more pressing things going on the now. 

Edited by Davidoff

In all honesty until they make a statement i don’t think anyone can 100% say it’s happening or not , you dont know what situation the world will he in 2 months from now sure 3 weeks ago everything was normal , lets just be patient and positive and hopefully the world gets better and we can have a nice summer

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, thetime said:

Serious question, would people risk it if it's still on? Obviously the virus is going to be around Europe in August, even of its all quiet in Hungary. As I have asthma pretty bad, I wouldn't risk it.

I completely understand your point of view. And you're right, many people wouldn't risk it I think..

As far as I'm concerned, if it's on, I would go.

Let's be honest : in 4 months and a half, the situation will be better. And if we decide to stop everything, then the virus will be the least of our problems... sorry to argue about that but there is an important economical issue 😕 To me, the virus is here, and it'll still be here in a year. The quanrantine at the moment is useful for "slowing down the spread" (excuse my poor english lol 😅 ) , but at some point we WILL HAVE TO go on ! I would test myself before and after the festival , in order to avoid being a danger to my old parents. And that's all. Young people are not risking their lives, we can be a danger for the others. So I choose to be reasonnable BEFORE and AFTER the fest', if it happens.

• Upvote 3

Summer festivals are most likely not happening guys.

• The situation has to get significantly better.
  • The governments have to allow mass gatherings.
  • The borders have to be opened.
  • No one knows when those things will happen, so some artists will cancel their tours in advance (because they don't want to wait or it will be too risky etc., wouldn't be surprised if Eminem cancelled already tbh)

There's a lot that has to happen and August is getting closer and closer.

Edited by Newjem
  • Upvote 3