Sziget 2020

jj200

13 minutes ago, ReljaGajić said:

Well apparently we are getting 2018 co-headliner returning as a headliner 🤷🏼‍♂️ and I don't like that 😶 😔

34 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

If we are getting a 2018 headliner returning I'd say Dua Lipa is more likely tbh.

Where has this come from? If its anyone surely its like Monkeys then as they have no dates yet so could want to release them all at once like they did in 2018?

edit - oh co-head? still where is this from

Edited by gfa

9 hours ago, gfa said:

Where has this come from? If its anyone surely its like Monkeys then as they have no dates yet so could want to release them all at once like they did in 2018?

Not come from anywhere, it's just me speculating on a few things.

Sziget gave Dua Lipa her first major headline slot so I'm guessing the festival holds a special place in her heart.

She's active at the moment - she has a new song out today and her second album comes out at the beginning of April.

She's touring Europe throughout May and June - playing twelve countries but not Hungary.

Just thought, if Sziget were struggling for headliners, that she might be a quick and easy win for them. Whereas the Monkeys (as much as I would prefer them over Dua Lipa) don't appear to be active in touring or releasing new material at all.

All speculation in light of no January announcement, probably completely wrong.

Edited by swelsbyuk

36 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Sziget gave Dua Lipa her first major headline slot so I'm guessing the festival holds a special place in her heart.

She's active at the moment - she has a new song out today and her second album comes out at the beginning of April.

She's touring Europe throughout May and June - playing twelve countries but not Hungary.

Just thought, if Sziget were struggling for headliners, that she might be a quick and easy win for them. Whereas the Monkeys (as much as I would prefer them over Dua Lipa) don't appear to be active in touring or releasing new material at all.

Speculation is linearly correct, but I have to say that having Dua Lipa and LG headlining gives me that bitter taste of Kasabian - Major Lazer promoted to headliners in 2017 while sub-headlining 2015's edition. And we all remember how 2017 turnt out to be.

In case this turns to be a weak edition, this would break the unspoken rule that says that Sziget receives better lineups in even years.

9 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Just read that No Doubt are likely to reunite and tour this year to celebrate 25 years since the release of Tragic Kingdom.

Surely they're not a big enough name to hold back a release for are they???

No.

Maybe they are just releasing it different this year?  I'm more surprised camping upgrades, lockers and early entry not being available yet.

Edited by thetime
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Speculation is linearly correct, but I have to say that having Dua Lipa and LG headlining gives me that bitter taste of Kasabian - Major Lazer promoted to headliners in 2017 while sub-headlining 2015's edition. And we all remember how 2017 turnt out to be.

In case this turns to be a weak edition, this would break the unspoken rule that says that Sziget receives better lineups in even years.

Wouldn't you say last year was strong, biggest EDM act, biggest rock act, biggest pop act and a lot of other good acts. A bit top heavy but there were BIG hitters

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, swelsbyuk said:

The logic makes sense - just i thought it was actually confirmed :) thanks

3 hours ago, thetime said:

No.

Maybe they are just releasing it different this year?  I'm more surprised camping upgrades, lockers and early entry not being available yet.

I also said that some time ago. :D

Looking on previous years, before the new Sziget management took over, the former PR strategy seemed to be "announce a headliner + some smaller acts per month".

Meanwhile since the festival has a new management, in 2018 they announced 3 headliners & some more acts on the 22nd January + Arctic Monkeys immediately next week & in 2019 they had Ed Sheeran first + almost all the headliners (except The National) & other acts at the second announcement.

Now I'm thinking that they might try to post the poster with the lineup directly as Coachella and other festivals are doing. I would love to see that. If they have 2 big names among the headliners + some strong undercard, I can imagine everyone on social media going crazy!

Edited by #1SzigetFan

10 minutes ago, #1SzigetFan said:

Now I'm thinking that they might try to post the poster with the lineup directly as Coachella and other festivals are doing.

I've been wondering the same thing. The more that time goes on, the more acts they must have signed up.

If they are planning an announcement in the last week of Feb (for example) then will probably already have 80 per cent of the line up sorted so it makes sense to launch BIG.

I'm not aware of any European festivals taking this approach, but it seems to be the norm in the U.S.

3 hours ago, swelsbyuk said:

I've been wondering the same thing. The more that time goes on, the more acts they must have signed up.

If they are planning an announcement in the last week of Feb (for example) then will probably already have 80 per cent of the line up sorted so it makes sense to launch BIG.

I'm not aware of any European festivals taking this approach, but it seems to be the norm in the U.S.

I find with Sziget the first announcement usually contains the bulk of the names I’m interested in.....Can’t see them announcing it all in one tho, they’ll wanna phase it to keep pushing ticket sales. Coachella’s quite the brand so easier for them to do a single announcement.

I would say that they're still waiting on a particular name rather than struggling with headliners at all. Even if they had only 1 or 2 signed they would have been announced. Let's say they have Liam Gallagher - Bon Iver - Calvin Harris as headliners, maybe they want to add... Eminem? and make a big splash of an announcement. 

46 minutes ago, Noeliam said:

I would say that they're still waiting on a particular name rather than struggling with headliners at all. Even if they had only 1 or 2 signed they would have been announced. Let's say they have Liam Gallagher - Bon Iver - Calvin Harris as headliners, maybe they want to add... Eminem? and make a big splash of an announcement. 

It does look like a different way they are going with announcing acts, I do not mind to be honest because I am going anyway. For example 2016 first announcement was not any of the big hitters(sigur ros, BMTH), so waiting to name the biggest act they have got has not really happened before. 

4 minutes ago, thetime said:

It does look like a different way they are going with announcing acts, I do not mind to be honest because I am going anyway. For example 2016 first announcement was not any of the big hitters(sigur ros, BMTH), so waiting to name the biggest act they have got has not really happened before. 

True but they changed owners since 2016 right?

Also, Sigur Ros and M83 as first announcement beats any Eminem for me :D

8 minutes ago, thetime said:

so waiting to name the biggest act they have got has not really happened before. 

Unless the big act in question has stipulated that they won't be an 'add on' second or third announcement. They must be part of the first announcement, but aren't in a position to announce at the moment.

As time goes on the more I think they're stalling for this reason.

Who could this be? Probably dozens of options but I'd go: Eminem, Gaga, RATM, Springsteen or Coldplay at the moment.

Edited by swelsbyuk

2 minutes ago, The_Preach said:

I think I got a clue about Sziget and maybe other festivals holding place in August. Look at the date of this picture;

Stating 2/17, maybe meaning February, 17 according to the american way of dates.

nice spot! let's wait and see :)

5 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Unless the big act in question has stipulated that they won't be an 'add on' second or third announcement. They must be part of the first announcement, but aren't in a position to announce at the moment.

As time goes on the more I think they're stalling for this reason.

Who could this be? Probably dozens of options but I'd go: Eminem, Gaga, RATM, Springsteen or Coldplay at the moment.

I am going for this, exact reason reading are stalling. I personally think it will be RATM (hoping).

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Noeliam said:

Just... next time let them headline the main stage or A38 rather than put them before Muse 😢

Muse who were great as well I thought btw, but different crowds!

Yeah that sounds about right. Although I will say I had Dizzee Rascal open for Muse and that felt very out of place.

Scissor Sisters before them at Glastonbury 2010 looked like it was pretty great.

11 minutes ago, Altercreed said:

About rage Against The Machine, the HellFest owner (french metal festival) admitted that he would really want to have them as a headliner, but they only be touring Europe in 2021 ..

Yeah that has come up a couple of times.