Sziget 2020

jj200

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 1:19 PM, #1SzigetFan said:

Yes, sorry!!! This is the correct link. :) Sadly I can't edit my previous comment anymore. It's not exactly a transcript, but it's more like a summary of what they discussed there. The part we are most interested in is this one (translated with Google Translate):

I've given this a bit of thought over the last few days and I'm struggling to understand why he announced this.

I appreciate that it was in a seemingly "safe" environment but what could be gained by this compared to what could be lost?

What could be lost?

1. Ticket sales - while Mad Cool, Primavera, Rock Werchter, Lollapalooza Stockholm etc are announcing big name line-ups, Sziget is saying they're struggling to attract acts. If you are a casual ticket buyer this Is hardly going to entice you along!
  2. Bargaining power - all the agents in the world now know you're struggling to get big name acts so they could quite easily add a few hundred thousand euros to their act's price as they are in the position of power now.
  3. Goodwill from those who have already bought tickets - people across social media and venting their frustration at the lack of an announcement (or even an announcement about when we might expect the announcement!) They many now fear they've bought into a lame duck and try to change their plans. If nothing is announced soon, we could soon see a surge of Sziget tix for sale on secondary ticketing sites.

It's now the latest they've announced for at least five years.  I can't understand why they can't just announce a few acts to whet the appetite.

I'm sure it'll all come good but just finding the waiting game a bit frustrating!

1 hour ago, swelsbyuk said:

I've given this a bit of thought over the last few days and I'm struggling to understand why he announced this.

I appreciate that it was in a seemingly "safe" environment but what could be gained by this compared to what could be lost?

What could be lost?

1. Ticket sales - while Mad Cool, Primavera, Rock Werchter, Lollapalooza Stockholm etc are announcing big name line-ups, Sziget is saying they're struggling to attract acts. If you are a casual ticket buyer this Is hardly going to entice you along!
  2. Bargaining power - all the agents in the world now know you're struggling to get big name acts so they could quite easily add a few hundred thousand euros to their act's price as they are in the position of power now.
  3. Goodwill from those who have already bought tickets - people across social media and venting their frustration at the lack of an announcement (or even an announcement about when we might expect the announcement!) They many now fear they've bought into a lame duck and try to change their plans. If nothing is announced soon, we could soon see a surge of Sziget tix for sale on secondary ticketing sites.

It's now the latest they've announced for at least five years.  I can't understand why they can't just announce a few acts to whet the appetite.

I'm sure it'll all come good but just finding the waiting game a bit frustrating!

Or he is being smug knowing the line up is going to blow all the competition away. 😃

I think we know the line up is going to be a bit average, that's whatcsziget does and we still love it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Or he is being smug knowing the line up is going to blow all the competition away

That would certainly be nice. There would be nothing better for Sziget than announcing a festival exclusive of someone that all other festivals (and festival-goers) are jealous of. Only names I can think of who 'might' be about that could fall into that category are Springsteen, RATM, Gaga or Adele (in order of likeliness!).

Edited by swelsbyuk

8 hours ago, lukatej said:

Stromae, Bloody Beetroots and M83.

Still remember how they closed A38 and we had to riot and climb over the security to get inside Stromae concert 😀

And crazy people climbing on a38 pillars during Bloody Beetroots, so they had to shutdown the music for a while.

Dont remember Infected Mushroom, which year it was?

oh woww! you took a risk with Stromae.. with just went there earlier and caught Bonobo's set -great as well!

Infected Mushroom was 2015 I think,

but really M83 surpasses all... hard to describe the experience/ emotions!

1 hour ago, swelsbyuk said:

Springsteen, RATM, Gaga or Adele

I'd certainly like any of the first three but can't imagine any of them (except, perhaps, Gaga) being on the Sziget wishlist after Sheeran last year, which resulted in big day ticket sales (and issues) but no significant increase (to the best of my knowledge) in 3, 5 and 7 day ticket sales.

2 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Not sure how 'new' this info is but just noticed on their website that Foals are playing Grape Festival in Slovakia, which takes place on 7/8 August. It's located less than 100 miles from Budapest.

They must be playing Sziget, mustn't they? 

I really hope that they are headliners, i'm sure they will smash it!

2 hours ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

I just came here to say M83 in A38 was magic. 

That is all.... 

no more upvotes :(

1 minute ago, swelsbyuk said:

Not sure how 'new' this info is but just noticed on their website that Foals are playing Grape Festival in Slovakia, which takes place on 7/8 August. It's located less than 100 miles from Budapest.

They must be playing Sziget, mustn't they? 

That band would indeed perfectly fit , it's a "sziget match" band to me ^^ But the guy who seems well informed (soSadSimon) said they would like to make it happen, but they don't know where to fit them in in the line up ...

40 minutes ago, So Sad Simon said:

I don't know about teaser but my friend confirm last night that first announcement still planned for Tuesday.

Maybe a teaser on Tuesday and announcement for Friday? Who knows but I wish they would get a move on. I have a few extra friends who are looking at going but holding of until they say who is coming. I think there will be a few people in the same boat and putting it off until they do. I think Foals are a stick on, in the area at the time and a decent band that would be good in the line up.  I also don’t think they would be that expensive as well.

Are we now thinking the Strokes will be the big band that they are going to throw in or someone else? I am just hoping for a decent under card.

Edited by Davidoff

24 minutes ago, Davidoff said:

Are we now thinking the Strokes will be the big band that they are going to throw in or someone else?

I think it probably depends on the band themselves as much as anything else. They're in Europe from June to mid-July so depends if they want to hang around for another few weeks or not.

There's certainly a chance that they'll be the end of festival 'rock/indie mega headliner'.

Only other possibilities for that position at the moment seem to be Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Killers or Kings of Leon. I'm struggling for options after that.

Rammstein? My Chemical Romance? (neither seem to fit with Sziget clientele) The return of twenty one pilots? (no new music but they did say last year that they wanted to earn the right to return as headliner). Anyone else? Are BMTH big enough?

Edited by swelsbyuk

I remembered that I posted here in November that Blink-182 said in an interview that they will also tour Europe this summer, but they didn't announce anything yet. The band will play a US festival in July, so with a bit of luck they might be around in Europe in August.

Edited by #1SzigetFan

1 hour ago, #1SzigetFan said:

I remembered that I posted here in November that Blink-182 said in an interview that they will also tour Europe this summer, but they didn't announce anything yet. The band will play a US festival in July, so with a bit of luck they might be around in Europe in August.

I would LOVE Blink-182 to be there, its one of the few bands I really wanna see live, and never had so far :)

Just now, everest said:

And you really didn't miss anything, trust me, I saw them on Nova Rock 3 years ago. 

I also was disappointed by The Offsprings' live performance, but still , the crowd was insane so that was a great moment ^^ I imagine it would be the same with Blink, average live band but hey, WE make the show great 😜

2 hours ago, #1SzigetFan said:

Not as a headliner surely?

34 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Not as a headliner surely?

The last time they played Sziget (2014) they were headlining Day -1 on the Main Stage. I think they're still pretty popular, so Blink-182 might headline again if they're in the mix or at least they'll play before the headliner / co-headline with another act.

2 minutes ago, zonaldino said:

Sum 41 is headlining a smaller festival in Hungary, so I doubt they would go for Blink. 

Sum 41 aren't that well known... most people know only 2-3 songs of that band, meanwhile Blink-182 has lots of recognizable songs. Blink are also the 87th most popular act on Songkick, where people can choose to track their bands when announce tours, meanwhile Sum 41 aren't even in Top 200.

23 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

I'm bored and not done this for a few weeks, so here goes:

• Billie Eilish subbed by Sigrid
  • Liam Gallagher subbed by Foals
  • Calvin Harris
  • The Strokes subbed by Biffy Clyro OR co-head of Biffy and BMTH
  • Travis Scott
  • Major Lazer co-head with Khalid
  • Tame Impala

This will not be far from the line up. . .

39 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

I'm bored and not done this for a few weeks, so here goes:

• Billie Eilish subbed by Sigrid
  • Liam Gallagher subbed by Foals
  • Calvin Harris
  • The Strokes subbed by Biffy Clyro OR co-head of Biffy and BMTH
  • Travis Scott
  • Major Lazer co-head with Khalid
  • Tame Impala

Would take that.