Sziget 2020

jj200

18 minutes ago, thetime said:

Hey I would love it if they gets announced, u can go to the A38. 😀

I'm obviously missing something with them. Even gave them another try last night. I don't dislike them and would probably enjoy them if they played a small, 1000 capacity venue. But I cannot begin to understand how it works playing to twenty thousand (and more) people in a field. I seems to be full of nuance that would be lost.

Will probably just go to the circus big top (A38 act dependent) as we missed it this year.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Newjem said:

sziget2020.thumb.png.60aa0923e9cf9764368d61865b2d4a4e.png

This is my prediction. I actually think they might struggle to get solid headliners this year. Major Lazer and The Chainsmokers are in Europe during Sziget but I don't think they both will turn up again (as they played in 2017). 

You've certainly done your research and I suspect a large amount of the acts you have included will be involved. 

However, I would be shocked if they didn't have at least one massive, household-name headliner. Be that Taylor Swift, RHCP or someone not yet discussed. And having both Major Lazer and Chainsmokers as headliners would be a mis-fire in my book.

That all said, I can see Zara, Lewis, Iggy, Foals, NBT, Khalid, LG, Bilderbuch, Sigrid, Bon Iver, OMAM, Flogging Molly and Travis all being there, if not others on your list too.

Edited by swelsbyuk

8 hours ago, Newjem said:

sziget2020.thumb.png.60aa0923e9cf9764368d61865b2d4a4e.png

This is my prediction. I actually think they might struggle to get solid headliners this year. Major Lazer and The Chainsmokers are in Europe during Sziget but I don't think they both will turn up again (as they played in 2017). 

No hate intended, but this lineup looks like a punishment. Especially the Bon Iver - The Chainsmokers part has some violent vibes from the past (Parkway Drive - The Lumineers from '16). So I consider it legit, although it seems to be too balanced for the weak-side for Sziget standards, so I guess that some tweeks here and there will make it.

Some guy is saying on reddit that Red Hot Chili Peppers are playing the last day. Might be a wishful thinking from him as he seems to be a fan himself, but apparently his info comes from "production". Personally not to keen to see them, but would still be a much better booking than predictions we get here.. There's still really no great rumors about stuff going on in August.. we really might be getting a weaker line up this time..

54 minutes ago, eyebrain said:

Some guy is saying on reddit that Red Hot Chili Peppers are playing the last day. Might be a wishful thinking from him as he seems to be a fan himself, but apparently his info comes from "production". Personally not to keen to see them, but would still be a much better booking than predictions we get here.. There's still really no great rumors about stuff going on in August.. we really might be getting a weaker line up this time..

I can't imagine the new(ish) owners of Sziget would allow the festival to progress with a weakened line-up. Whether the 2019 line-up was your kind of thing or not, it was one which had immediate recognisability and grabbed your attention (whether you are a music fan or not) in Ed, Foos and Florence.  

I can't imagine the 2020 edition going ahead with headliners like Bon Iver, Major Lazer and Travis Scott without also including acts with a recognisability factor and a significant fanbase.

I would be amazed if we don't get at least one, if not two, big acts of the calibre of The Killers, RHCP, Taylor Swift or even Springsteen (okay, he's quite unlikely!)

There are dozens of festivals taking place across Europe in July and August and without a couple of eye-catching headliners then Sziget will be overlooked by the casual festival-goer and that will cost them millions of euros in lost ticket sales.

In addition, all of the food and drink stalls, which will have paid tens of thousands of euros to be there will not be happy if they think they going to be selling to a huge audience there to see RHCP, and then Sziget delivers Major Lazer!

Sziget is a business, with a turnover in the tens of millions, if their line-up is weak then they'll need to dig into their reserves and deliver the sized headliners that people expect. 

Could you imagine Glastonbury announcing Major Lazer and Chainsmokers as headliners? There'd be riots!

And, to conclude, I still genuinely think that Coldplay could be a possibility.

Edited by swelsbyuk
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, swelsbyuk said:

I can't imagine the new(ish) owners of Sziget would allow the festival to progress with a weakened line-up. Whether the 2019 line-up was your kind of thing or not, it was one which had immediate recognisability and grabbed your attention (whether you are a music fan or not) in Ed, Foos and Florence.  

I can't imagine the 2020 edition going ahead with headliners like Bon Iver, Major Lazer and Travis Scott without also including acts with a recognisability factor and a significant fanbase.

I would be amazed if we don't get at least one, if not two, big acts of the calibre of The Killers, RHCP, Taylor Swift or even Springsteen (okay, he's quite unlikely!)

There are dozens of festivals taking place across Europe in July and August and without a couple of eye-catching headliners then Sziget will be overlooked by the casual festival-goer and that will cost them millions of euros in lost ticket sales.

In addition, all of the food and drink stalls, which will have paid tens of thousands of euros to be there will not be happy if they think they going to be selling to a huge audience there to see RHCP, and then Sziget delivers Major Lazer!

Sziget is a business, with a turnover in the tens of millions, if their line-up is weak then they'll need to dig into their reserves and deliver the sized headliners that people expect. 

Could you imagine Glastonbury announcing Major Lazer and Chainsmokers as headliners? There'd be riots!

And, to conclude, I still genuinely think that Coldplay could be a possibility.

Well Stormzy headlined Glastonbury, glastonbury have had weak headliners in the past. 

I am sure Major Lazer would be more popular with the sziget crowd than RHCP.

Sziget had both The Chainsmokers and Major Lazer as headliners in 2017 and that year was a disaster. Even festival management said that weak lineup was the main reason of relatively small attendance, they won’t to that again. Maybe they’ll book one of them but not both.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, thetime said:

I am sure Major Lazer would be more popular with the sziget crowd than RHCP.

Not sure about that... In 2016 RHCP added an extra day in Budapest because their first day was sold out at Budapest Arena, so they're actually big. Their second day was sold out or close to sold out too (I got tickets for that day and the arena looked full). Furthermore, this time they also have Frusciante! 😀

Edited by #1SzigetFan

In 2016 they were supposed to do Sziget and I know that cause Josh told me when I met him a few months before :D It could be that the plans changed or he just remembered Budapest but didn't know where cause my question was something like: "....are you going back to the Balkans like in 2012, maybe Sziget in Budapest" 

Edited by Nicklord

27 minutes ago, ReljaGajić said:

Is it possible for Halsey to come this year? 😕

Screenshot_20200108-160917_Instagram-01.jpeg

Looks possible. She's not playing Hungary during the European leg of the tour in Feb/March, but depends if she wants to return I guess.

I loved her first album but she's gone a bit pop for me - would still enjoy watching her though.

Is she big enough to headline or is she a strong sub?

Edited by swelsbyuk

9 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Looks possible. She's not playing Hungary during the European leg of the tour in Feb/March, but depends if she wants to return I guess.

I loved her first album but she's gone a bit pop for me - would still enjoy watching her though.

I would consider her as a strong sub 😬

1 hour ago, swelsbyuk said:

I'd go for a decent sub. it is not like she could solo-headline or even co-headline a day, IMO

If Billie Eilish can headline European festivals then I think Halsey could at Sziget.

All R&L headliners in 2019 played Sziget (Post, Foo, 21 P, 1975). Three of them are from the U.S.

To make it financially viable for any headline U.S act to come to Europe they will need a couple of bookings at least.

So, for a similar situation to happen this year the acts would need to appeal to both sets of audiences again.

Which is why I think R.H.C.Ps, Killers, Halsey and Travis Scott are all strong possibilities. I also think Dua Lipa might happen (although she is British, obviously).

Edited by billybigballs

2 hours ago, billybigballs said:

Which is why I think R.H.C.Ps, Killers, Halsey and Travis Scott are all strong possibilities.

Halsey doesn't fit into that group. Nowhere near as big - even though she is playing arenas in the UK this year.

I'm no Billie Eilish fan either but you can't compare her with Halsey. Billie has become part of the zeitgeist, Halsey is just a pop singer (a good one, admittedly).

Out of interest, could a reformed MCR be a possibility?

Edited by swelsbyuk

I'm going to help you out. Three of the headliners are Chili Peppers, Liam Gallagher and Selena Gomez as pop name. No that last name isn't a joke and definitely a headliner or no appearance. She might be co-head but definitely head.

Delay in announcement due to negotiation with one other big act which will be great if it comes off but looking less likely every day. Big announcement coming at start of 20 January week if signing made.

Lots of the other people signed have been mentioned on here already and also Biffy Clyro and maybe Pixies. FKA Twigs is possible but issues about the A38 for reason I don't know. 

I know you won't believe me cos you don't know me but TRUST me. 

Edited by So Sad Simon
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, So Sad Simon said:

I'm going to help you out. Three of the headliners are Chili Peppers, Liam Gallagher and Selena Gomez as pop name. No that last name isn't a joke and definitely a headliner or no appearance. She might be co-head but definitely head.

Delay in announcement due to negotiation with one other big act which will be great if it comes off but looking less likely every day. Big announcement coming at start of 20 January week if signing made.

Lots of the other people signed have been mentioned on here already and also Biffy Clyro and maybe Pixies. FKA Twigs is possible but issues about the A38 for reason I don't know. 

Man, I hope your info about Red Hot Chili Peppers is true, I badly need some more dates.....

7 minutes ago, Noeliam said:

About RHCP and the info from Reddit: if they were playing, indeed it would be on the last day(s), as I think that Chad Smith is involved in this festival: http://www.peaktosky.com/ (7-8 august 2020).

so maybe the info has some credibility.

Last day to sell the 7 day tickets ala Foo Fighters I reckon. Probably cheaper to book them on a weekday too. Not sure I buy Selena Gomez of all poppy acts that could be booked seems like a weird one versus Billie/Taylor/Shawn Mendes etc

1 hour ago, So Sad Simon said:

Lets say you're correct. Are rest of the headliners not booked yet or you just don't know the rest?

1 hour ago, So Sad Simon said:

I will be really disappointed if Liam Gallagher is a headliner, he co-headlined Dua Lipa in 2018, and I don't think he's big enough to headline 😕

• Like 1