Sziget 2020

jj200

Good morning and happy new year to you all.

I assume that something must drop from Sziget before the end of this month (we knew 6 of the 7 headliners by mid-Feb in 2019)

With the lack of Justin Timberlake, The Weeknd and The Strokes being announced for Coachella, have our options changed?

RATM aren't coming to Europe in 2020 apparently, but what about Travis Scott or Frank Ocean? Think Travis has been rumoured for a long time but is there a chance of Frank too, or instead of Travis?

Calvin Harris a last minute replacement for MCR at Coachella - any chance of either at Sziget?

What about female headliner names? What about LDR? Love her music but think she is boring as hell live! What are other options? 

I notice Biffy are playing festivals in Germany between 5 and 9 of August so they look likely. Sub to RHCP?

What other August festivals do we need to keep an eye on for ideas? Summer Well, Pukkelpop, Lowlands, Way Out West - any others?

Sorry for all the questions, but feel an announcement in the air...….

Edited by swelsbyuk

2 hours ago, swelsbyuk said:

I assume that something must drop from Sziget before the end of this month (we knew 6 of the 7 headliners by mid-Feb in 2019)

With the lack of Justin Timberlake, The Weeknd and The Strokes being announced for Coachella, have our options changed?

U.S. Festivals usually announce first every year. Today Bottlerock and Tomorrow Bonnaroo will announce their lineups. Sziget might have to wait for next week.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, swelsbyuk said:

I notice Biffy are playing festivals in Germany between 5 and 9 of August so they look likely. Sub to RHCP?

RHCP don't need Biffy as a sub way too strong, RHCP would have a 'Jain' style sub - a slot filler as they would sell tickets alone or someone like Khalid maybe 21p style - a completely different act to the main headliner to sell more 3/5/7 day tickets.

13 hours ago, OllieR said:

The weekend? Travis Scott? Lorde? Killers? 

We need at least one female headliner. The rumour was that Sziget wanted Taylor Swift but she was proving too expensive. Lorde would be fantastic but she doesn't appear to be active. However, one person who has proven herself to now be active and doing festivals (albeit in the U.S) this summer is Miley Cyrus. Not sure if she'd be able to fill 90 minutes but with a strong sub I could see her being in consideration.

Edited by swelsbyuk

1 hour ago, swelsbyuk said:

We need at least one female headliner. The rumour was that Sziget wanted Taylor Swift but she was proving too expensive. Lorde would be fantastic but she doesn't appear to be active. However, one person who has proven herself to now be active and doing festivals (albeit in the U.S) this summer is Miley Cyrus. Not sure if she'd be able to fill 90 minutes but with a strong sub I could see her being in consideration.

Would lead to a shitstorm in the comments - but I actually think that she did fire at Glasto this year. Not sure about the headline slot.

Fact is that for female headliner you can pull any rabbit out of the hat and it will get mixed feelings on one hand, while on the other hand you have a wide plethora of names to call, so I reckon that is the wildest name to guess of the headliners-stereotype.

16 hours ago, thetime said:

Good aspect of this year is that people are going to be surprised as we have no idea.

LG

Bon Iver

Then?

I dunno, the lack of ideas and the lack of their media presence has throwed me down big time, I'm not even considering Sziget in my list of things to do this summer - unless they surprise me with first announcement (which I doubt).

Lineup wise, I guess that Bon Iver and Armin Van Bureen are the two safe names so far. One rock name is surely in the mix, the news call for The Killers / KoL / RHCP (but at the same time, it is hard to believe that they stick in Europe until August, being in tour in early July), and chances are that The Weeknd can be listed as well.

I refuse to believe that Liam Gallagher can be an headliner: he was not in that spot in '18, he is not now. The fact that Foals can be Heads in my perspective, is due to the fact that they actually did something to grow in stack in the last 5 years - where both the Gallaghers and Kasabian failed to accomplish.

I think that we have difficulties in getting a 7 names straight because:

a) Sziget will go for the some exclusive / some name that put an embargo until now;

b) Sziget proved in the last years that they don't have all the headliners at the start of the announcements (which I find honestly ridicolous for a festival of that size)

LG has definitely grown in the UK over the past two or three years. He was always big due to his Oasis credentials but his association with Beady Eye kind of made him become irrelevant to the younger generation.

His two solo albums, released in 2017 and 2019, have been successful (both reached number one in the UK) and they have opened up his music to a new generation of fans. He can easily sell out arenas.

He has also self-announced himself as headliner at Reading and Leeds in August 2020. All of the 2019 headliners at R+L were headliners at Sziget too.

I cannot comment on his draw outside the UK but here he is bigger than Foals and will sell more tickets more quickly.

All of this hurts me to say because if I could choose just one act I would like to see at Sziget this years it's Foals.

11 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

LG has definitely grown in the UK over the past two or three years. He was always big due to his Oasis credentials but his association with Beady Eye kind of made him become irrelevant to the younger generation.

His two solo albums, released in 2017 and 2019, have been successful (both reached number one in the UK) and they have opened up his music to a new generation of fans. He can easily sell out arenas.

He has also self-announced himself as headliner at Reading and Leeds in August 2020. All of the 2019 headliners at R+L were headliners at Sziget too.

I cannot comment on his draw outside the UK but here he is bigger than Foals and will sell more tickets more quickly.

All of this hurts me to say because if I could choose just one act I would like to see at Sziget this years it's Foals.

If Liam Gallagher plays he will headline. 

2 minutes ago, #1SzigetFan said:

European Festival Awards ceremony will take place on the 15th of January. Sziget might win a prize or two again, so they could also wait for that to make the first announcement.

I thought that too. They're up for best major festival and best line-up so wouldn't surprise me if they announced something between 16 and 23 Jan on the back of a potential win.

7 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Agreed but do you think Foals would sub him or are they in a position where they're too big to sub but not big enough to headline?

I think they will headline if they play, obviously aiming at the british market.

Liam Gallagher

Foals

Bon Iver

Dance DJ

Female singer (which will be the pop headliner)

2 big headliners? No idea who's around in August. 

That would tick all the Sziget boxes.

Edited by thetime

44 minutes ago, thetime said:

I think they will headline if they play, obviously aiming at the british market.

Liam Gallagher

Foals

Bon Iver

Dance DJ

Female singer (which will be the pop headliner)

2 big headliners? No idea who's around in August. 

That would tick all the Sziget boxes.

No hip-hop act? Travis Scott keeps getting mooted.

9 minutes ago, #1SzigetFan said:

I would prefer Childish Gambino or Eminem as the big hip-hop act instead of Travis Scott and RHCP as the big rock stars.

I think both of those would be classed as one of the 'big' headliners but not sure Travis Scott would.

Just wish Bon Iver would announce a gig on the moon on 8th August so he could be discounted.

• Upvote 1