Sziget 2020

jj200

17 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

With Liam Gallagher confirmed for Reading, & Bon Iver confirmed for august festivals, we only have two potential headliners (and is Liam a headliner?). 

I have the idea that it is again a difficult year. 

Doubt Liam could sell as a solo-head. In 2018 he opened to Dua Lipa and, same as his brother in 2016, he has always been publicized as a sub-headliner. The free promotion without real hit material would be awful (just like it was the promotion of Major Lazer and Kasabian to headliners in 2017 after subbing in 2015, and I guess we all remember how that year was received).

Usually the 2-3 weak headliners Sziget had in these years were fresh material, one hit wonders if you will, so I heavily doubt Liam Gallagher can be an Headliner in Sziget's mind.

On the other hand, I am pretty positive on Bon Iver being secured. Also, I agree that this looks like another difficult year for Sziget and that they are most likely waiting for an embargo / a big bargain to be over in January.

In the last 5 years, except for 2016 and 2018, it has been 3 difficult years for the target of festivals Sziget wants to strike: big headliners usually don't like to tour in August, that seems to be a fact, and Sziget eventually ends up by paying a shitload of money in exclusives, so why just don't move the festival to late July or late August than? Afraid of the competition?

48 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Doubt Liam could sell as a solo-head. In 2018 he opened to Dua Lipa and, same as his brother in 2016, he has always been publicized as a sub-headliner. The free promotion without real hit material would be awful (just like it was the promotion of Major Lazer and Kasabian to headliners in 2017 after subbing in 2015, and I guess we all remember how that year was received).

Usually the 2-3 weak headliners Sziget had in these years were fresh material, one hit wonders if you will, so I heavily doubt Liam Gallagher can be an Headliner in Sziget's mind.

On the other hand, I am pretty positive on Bon Iver being secured. Also, I agree that this looks like another difficult year for Sziget and that they are most likely waiting for an embargo / a big bargain to be over in January.

In the last 5 years, except for 2016 and 2018, it has been 3 difficult years for the target of festivals Sziget wants to strike: big headliners usually don't like to tour in August, that seems to be a fact, and Sziget eventually ends up by paying a shitload of money in exclusives, so why just don't move the festival to late July or late August than? Afraid of the competition?

Sziget suffers because of the lack of competition in my view. For example Glastonbury, Roskilde and werchter are around the same time. So they can pick up bands from the other festival quite easily. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Tame Impala in the U.S until 7 August. Chance of a trip across the pond to close Sziget? Or do we think European festival season for Tame Impala might be during mid-June to mid-July?

ELW3o3qVAAAM6Sh.jpg

I honestly hope he will come to Sziget, I bought my ticket only because I thought he's gonna be there :(

1 hour ago, swelsbyuk said:

Tame Impala in the U.S until 7 August. Chance of a trip across the pond to close Sziget? Or do we think European festival season for Tame Impala might be during mid-June to mid-July?

Bet my ass that they will focus on the RW-NOS-MC-Roskilde period rather than August, and they will take abreak after the second leg of US tour. I'd say they are over the game right now...

19 minutes ago, ReljaGajić said:

I honestly hope he will come to Sziget, I bought my ticket only because I thought he's gonna be there :(

Never ever ever buy a ticket based on what you hope will be there, unless you have reasonable intel from an insider...

1 hour ago, swelsbyuk said:

It's unlikely. They played August festivals this year (Pukkelpop, Lowlands, Oya, Flow) and I don't think they would come to Europe only to play at Sziget.

Edited by Newjem

New names for Balaton Sound are here: Martin Gsrrix, Don Diablo, Matoma, Loco Dice, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Jonas Blue, Deborah De Luca, Meduza, Kygo, Salvatore Ganacci, Modstep, Lario Alicante, Robin Schulz, Danny Tenaglia, Vini Vici, Sigala, Jax Jones, ZHU, Balastoyz, Loud Luxury.

So anything from the above won't be at Sziget, and now i can see Arim Van Buuren in Sziget's line up ?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ReljaGajić said:

New names for Balaton Sound are here: Martin Gsrrix, Don Diablo, Matoma, Loco Dice, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Jonas Blue, Deborah De Luca, Meduza, Kygo, Salvatore Ganacci, Modstep, Lario Alicante, Robin Schulz, Danny Tenaglia, Vini Vici, Sigala, Jax Jones, ZHU, Balastoyz, Loud Luxury.

So anything from the above won't be at Sziget, and now i can see Arim Van Buuren in Sziget's line up ?

I have no knowledge of EDM. Is Van Buuren not good? I quite enjoyed Garrix last year despite knowing little of what was being played. The show was fun.

No chance of Chemical Brothers rather than a DJ or is a DJ an essential headliner?

47 minutes ago, billybigballs said:

I have no knowledge of EDM. Is Van Buuren not good? I quite enjoyed Garrix last year despite knowing little of what was being played. The show was fun.

No chance of Chemical Brothers rather than a DJ or is a DJ an essential headliner?

It seems to be essential, given the last years booking. You have to give the younger audience some trash to chew on, if that makes sense...

AVB remains my bet for the forth-coming year, which is not properly interesting. I mean, it would have been 10 years ago with the Trance era, now it is just plain boring for me

16 hours ago, Newjem said:

It's unlikely. They played August festivals this year (Pukkelpop, Lowlands, Oya, Flow) and I don't think they would come to Europe only to play at Sziget.

They also did Glastonbury though which is early summer. Not really much to go off in my opinion.

8 hours ago, billybigballs said:

Armin Van Buuren IS very good. One of the best in this category actually, so we should be glad if he's really comin' ;)

2 hours ago, thetime said:

Do people choose Sziget for the lineup? I would imagine it's for the Sziget experience more than anything. Day tickets yeah, but not the 5/7 day tickets.

Been for 6 years and never done it cause of the line up. However I did feel let down in 2017, headliner wise it was pretty bad that year, so i guess it does still influence my enjoyment somehow..

12 hours ago, thetime said:

Do people choose Sziget for the lineup? I would imagine it's for the Sziget experience more than anything. Day tickets yeah, but not the 5/7 day tickets.

No, but I mean, it is not like the Sziget experience is the same like it was 5 years ago, the management itself made some changes that altered the feeling (from World Stage removal to barricades thrown randomly in the bigger stages, lineup choices themselves, etc.). Things got a little bit washed out (still remaining wild af, don't get me wrong) and the management trying to impose a supremacy in the lineup building against the other competitors (PKP and R&L to begin with), makes one asks himself what they are actually after. 

TLDR: Sziget is actually after a lineup-focused festival, and the whole Sziget Experience is turning year after year into a marketing gimmick.

On 12/9/2019 at 3:19 PM, Mondo-kun said:

There is a batch of names for FM4 Frequency Festival (Austria, 20-22.08) tomorrow morning, maybe we'll find out about more touring headliners.

Looks like they postponed the announcement, but they promised to come back with a "bombastic video". Interesting!

I see Sziget was announced as a nominee in the Best Major Festival and Best Line Up categories at the European Festival Awards yesterday.

Results are announced on 15 January.

Wonder if they're hoping for a result there before making their first announcement?

Edited by billybigballs

42 minutes ago, billybigballs said:

I see Sziget was announced as a nominee in the Best Major Festival and Best Line Up categories at the European Festival Awards yesterday.

Results are announced on 15 January.

Wonder if they're hoping for a result there before making their first announcement?

Would not take much notice of awards like that myself.