Sziget 2020

jj200

Going with expectations for the first announcement, at this point, I dig something like:

The Killers - Foals - Tiesto/AVB - Stormzy - Liam Gallagher - Wolf Alice - Of Monsters and Men - Pusha T - Lukas Grahm - Nothing but Thieves - Floating Points - Tycho - Meute - Tom Walker - Alan Walker - Whitney - The Neighbourhood - Alec Benjamin.

It is partially guesswork, and I hope they can throw in the mix something more convincing than this, as it would be really really weak. At this point of the story, I see no heavy name for the headliners spot (inb4: The Killers are not an heavy name), and although I am sure that they are holding their announcement back for some embargo/some unannounced name in the circuit, I am also kind of negative about what will come out. 

On the other hand, I am already 99% commited to Mad Cool and will be 100% unable to get to Sziget due to work stuff, so, yeah, well, good luck

Edited by Yelo, the Parmiggiana
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Going with expectations for the first announcement, at this point, I dig something like:

The Killers - Foals - Tiesto/AVB - Stormzy - Liam Gallagher - Wolf Alice - Of Monsters and Men - Pusha T - Lukas Grahm - Nothing but Thieves - Floating Points - Tycho - Meute - Tom Walker - Alan Walker - Whitney - The Neighbourhood - Alec Benjamin.

It is partially guesswork, and I hope they can throw in the mix something more convincing than this, as it would be really really weak. At this point of the story, I see no heavy name for the headliners spot (inb4: The Killers are not an heavy name), and although I am sure that they are holding their announcement back for some embargo/some unannounced name in the circuit, I am also kind of negative about what will come out. 

On the other hand, I am already 99% commited to Mad Cool and will be 100% unable to get to Sziget due to work stuff, so, yeah, well, good luck

I'd be happy with most of that top line but agree it is missing a BIG name or two (Ed and Foos last year are two the biggest you can get so there must be at least one this year, mustn't there?)

I really can't work out who they could be waiting for. Maybe a pop headliner like Timberlake or Taylor's next set of announcements.

If not, then maybe someone like The Strokes, Guns n Roses or AC/DC? (these are all names that are floating around as potentials at other festivals, especially Glastonbury).

I've got my fingers crossed for The Boss but suspect there's more chance of it being me than it is of being him!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

I'd be happy with most of that top line but agree it is missing a BIG name or two (Ed and Foos last year are two the biggest you can get so there must be at least one this year, mustn't there?)

I really can't work out who they could be waiting for. Maybe a pop headliner like Timberlake or Taylor's next set of announcements.

If not, then maybe someone like The Strokes, Guns n Roses or AC/DC? (these are all names that are floating around as potentials at other festivals, especially Glastonbury).

I've got my fingers crossed for The Boss but suspect there's more chance of it being me than it is of being him!

Obviously you always are the boss ❤️

I guess that you can better bet on a pop headliner rather than a rockier, like the ones you named

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swelsbyuk said:

None of those three you mentioned are really floating around for Glastonbury? The Strokes a bit but its not really likely at all given how much they like a good payday.

None of those three you mentioned are really floating around for Glastonbury? The Strokes a bit but its not really likely at all given how much they like a good payday.

Maybe I'm behind the curve on Glastonbury rumours then. I know The Strokes keep being mentioned for Mad Cool and Rock Werchter, GnR are at the numerous South American Lollapollooza festivals next year and AC/DC are likely to announce a world tour in the next few weeks.

In honesty, there are a dozen bands I'd prefer to any of these but just speculating on what act(s) might be delaying a Sziget announcement. 

33 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Maybe I'm behind the curve on Glastonbury rumours then. I know The Strokes keep being mentioned for Mad Cool and Rock Werchter, GnR are at the numerous South American Lollapollooza festivals next year and AC/DC are likely to announce a world tour in the next few weeks.

In honesty, there are a dozen bands I'd prefer to any of these but just speculating on what act(s) might be delaying a Sziget announcement. 

Stroke have never played in Belguim, so cant see them at werchter.

8 hours ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Apart from one more big hitter, those headers seem a sziget lineup. 

41 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

G n R have released one album of original material in 25 years. They're just a heritage act now, churning out the same setlist night after night. A great setlist but no surprises.

The Strokes blow hot and cold. Catch them hot and it's a night to remember.

AC/DC used to be the best live band on earth. Nowadays I'd rather paint the living room.

I suspect it's Timberlake. Which is a shame because Swift would be more entertaining and have a much more recognisable setlist.

1 hour ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Sziget Italia Just said that odds are that names won't be release in DecemberScreenshot_20191203_193314_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.0fec17c67189884041a2b6627c8e5693.jpg

I was beginning to get that feeling to be honest. It's pointless announcing any later than 15 December anyway as everyone's mind will be on the festive season.

They must be wanting to lead with their big name and it looks like either that name doesn't want anything releasing until the new year or they are still negotiating.

Edited by swelsbyuk

8 hours ago, dude111 said:

the killers - sam smith - lizzo + calvin harris - imagine dragons - justin timberlake - shakira - foals + rosalia

what do you think about that set of headliners?

i can see the weeknd there too 

I think that Sam Smith and Lizzo outside England cant even sub a festival, Rosalia should not be touring and I don't even believe that Shakira exists in this dimension anymore

59 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

I think that Sam Smith and Lizzo outside England cant even sub a festival, Rosalia should not be touring and I don't even believe that Shakira exists in this dimension anymore

lets not forget its sziget. they let mano chao and mike headline on their own so sam is defo bigger.

about lizzo i think its like shawn mandez or maklamore - a strong sub that pushed to co headline.

shakira is the superbawl half time show performer (with j.lo) and every year the artist goes touring after it...

1 hour ago, dude111 said:

lets not forget its sziget. they let mano chao and mike headline on their own so sam is defo bigger.

about lizzo i think its like shawn mandez or maklamore - a strong sub that pushed to co headline.

shakira is the superbawl half time show performer (with j.lo) and every year the artist goes touring after it...

No, I believe that there is some misconception here: Macklemore and Shawn Mendez were globally successful when they headlined - even if you happen not to like them, you would know Thriftshop or Stitches, they were literally spammed everywhere possibe. Lizzo is a big thing, I agree, but I doubt she can solo-headline a show outside UK/US. Sam Smith on the other hand is a british sensation: I'm not saying he is unknown on the continent, but surely the hype that welcomes him in british fests is kind of hard to explain for a european: yeah, Sziget had a precedent with The 1975, but considered the poor selling on that full-brit day, I dare to say that they won't push so hard to conquer english fans this time.

Having said this, yeah, I can consider them being subbing a strong headliner - but that would be weak. Again, Sziget made Jain, Tove Lo and Years & Years sub-headliners, so that throws outta window any reasonable consideration about the whole thing.

Shakira is a big name, J.Lo is a big name, but both of them are out of the european circuits since ages and I'd be impressed if their agents decided to game in at this point of their careers, when they are too big not to get an headline spot but to risky for the sellings to actually give one. That was the same way for Britney Spears couple of years ago: yeah, that's Britney bitch, kay, but no serious festival would give away a major spot for you, so, yeah, hit me baby maybe another time, will ya?

Sam Smith wouldn't headline anywhere major in the UK lol.

Also Jain was really good but she was more the headliner because Ed's day was going to sell insanely anyway so there was no reason to pay for an expensive sub.

45 minutes ago, gfa said:

Sam Smith wouldn't headline anywhere major in the UK lol.

Also Jain was really good but she was more the headliner because Ed's day was going to sell insanely anyway so there was no reason to pay for an expensive sub.

You might be surprised how popular they are (I certainly was!!) They played four nights at the O2 Arena last year and three nights at Manchester Arena - both have capacities of between 15,000 and 20,000.

I don't rate them in the slightest but they've sung a Bond theme so I'll give them respect for that!

Edited by swelsbyuk

You might be surprised how popular they are (I certainly was!!) They played four nights at the O2 Arena last year and three nights at Manchester Arena - both have capacities of between 15,000 and 20,000.

I don't rate them in the slightest but they've sung a Bond theme so I'll give them respect for that!

I am surprised to be fair. No wonder they don't do festivals with sales like that fair enough really to em

• Upvote 1

Sziget won the "Best Overseas Festival" award last night at the UK Festival Awards! The festival might also win other prizes at the European Festival Awards, event that will take place on the 15th of January 2020!

Edited by #1SzigetFan
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, #1SzigetFan said:

Sziget won the "Best Overseas Festival" award last night at the UK Festival Awards! The festival might also win other prizes at the European Festival Awards, event that will take place on the 15th of January 2020!

I'd be surprised if it did not happened. This year, Sziget blinked more than one eye to the british community and I guess this came with no shock.

Plus, RIP to SzigetNews I loved the harshy community back in the day