Sziget 2020

jj200

3 hours ago, glavakpeti said:

I think in 2017 I bought the tickets without knowing anything about the lineup... And the first announcement was about a month later. 

Mondo Kun posted this breakdown earlier in the thread:

- for 2016: prime tickets 24.11.2015, first announcement 03.12.2015
- for 2017: prime tickets 25.09.2016, first announcement 15.12.2016
- for 2018: prime tickets 08.11.2017, first announcement 22.01.2018
- for 2019: first announcement 20.09.2018, prime tickets 01.10.2018 

We seem to have given up guessing so I'm starting again. My guesses are:

W - Dua Lipa or Taylor Swift (cost dependent)

T - Foals or Kasabian

F - Armin Van Buuren

S - Hopefully Killers but likely Bon Iver

S - Travis Scott

M - Billie Eilish with strong sub 

T - RHCP or Coldplay (or, outside guess, Pearl Jam)

Edited by billybigballs
  • Like 1

Perhaps throw in the potential for Tame Impala and The Strokes (who are both in the rumours section on Festileaks - although judging by their previous festival line-up accuracy this should probably count them out!)

Hoping something drops over the next 48 hours while the Prime tickets are on sale.

Would also like to see Vampire Weekend, Sam Fender, Rex Orange County and Oh Wonder in there somewhere too.

On 11/13/2019 at 1:08 PM, billybigballs said:

T - Foals or Kasabian

F - Armin Van Buuren

S - Travis Scott

Won't be Pearl Jam, their European Tour ends 19th July in Paris

On 11/13/2019 at 1:30 PM, lukatej said:

Headliners:
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Swedish House Mafia
Taylor Swift
The Foals
Hip Hop Act
Alternative Indie act

Subs:
Bon Iver
Bring me the horizon
Editors
Primal Scream

Your missing a headliner but I think this would be pretty decent. Maybe Editors and Bon Iver to co or something?

I think your top 4 are good pretty expensive so would suck up a lot of money (also its Foals not 'The Foals') I think maybe stick in Travis Scott if he is big in Hungary and then Tame Impala or someone. Killers are also around would be a cool swap for RHCP if they can't afford them and an extra British act (well they're American but treated like they are British here - i sometimes forget that they aren't)

On 11/13/2019 at 4:53 PM, swelsbyuk said:

Perhaps throw in the potential for Tame Impala and The Strokes (who are both in the rumours section on Festileaks - although judging by their previous festival line-up accuracy this should probably count them out!)

Hoping something drops over the next 48 hours while the Prime tickets are on sale.

Would also like to see Vampire Weekend, Sam Fender, Rex Orange County and Oh Wonder in there somewhere too.

Saw Vampire Weekend last night and they were fantastic, hopefully a sub spot or maybe a co-headline their show would work great at Sziget for the FOTB tour. They seem to be in America though for the latter part of Sziget so unless they do European festivals between their current dates its looking unlikely but would suit the festival well.

On 11/13/2019 at 1:08 PM, billybigballs said:

T - Foals or Kasabian

F - Armin Van Buuren

S - Travis Scott

I can't see Killers if they get RHCP or Coldplay honestly. Is Armin Van Buuren that big also?

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Your missing a headliner but I think this would be pretty decent. Maybe Editors and Bon Iver to co or something?

I think your top 4 are good pretty expensive so would suck up a lot of money (also its Foals not 'The Foals') I think maybe stick in Travis Scott if he is big in Hungary and then Tame Impala or someone. Killers are also around would be a cool swap for RHCP if they can't afford them and an extra British act (well they're American but treated like they are British here - i sometimes forget that they aren't)

Saw Vampire Weekend last night and they were fantastic, hopefully a sub spot or maybe a co-headline their show would work great at Sziget for the FOTB tour. They seem to be in America though for the latter part of Sziget so unless they do European festivals between their current dates its looking unlikely but would suit the festival well.

I can't see Killers if they get RHCP or Coldplay honestly. Is Armin Van Buuren that big also?

I know Im missing an act, but in this phase its just guesses who it could be, since almost no festival in August announced their artists.

But Im pretty sure, Bring Me The Horizon would be one of the announced bands.

The Killers would be my dream, but they just announced UK tour in June, so would they be available in August still in Europe? Same for RHCP.

Armin is quite big, but little bit little bit hard. My guess would be some commercial EDM - Swedish House Mafia, in worse case Dimitri Vegas again.

There is this crazy chance that they would announce My Chemical Romance as they are very popular for teenagers, which is lately Sziget target crowd.

Tame Impala and Vampire Weekend would be great choice.

Also for alternative indie act, Nick Cave would be possible choice.

1 hour ago, lukatej said:

I know Im missing an act, but in this phase its just guesses who it could be, since almost no festival in August announced their artists.

But Im pretty sure, Bring Me The Horizon would be one of the announced bands.

The Killers would be my dream, but they just announced UK tour in June, so would they be available in August still in Europe? Same for RHCP.

Armin is quite big, but little bit little bit hard. My guess would be some commercial EDM - Swedish House Mafia, in worse case Dimitri Vegas again.

There is this crazy chance that they would announce My Chemical Romance as they are very popular for teenagers, which is lately Sziget target crowd.

Tame Impala and Vampire Weekend would be great choice.

Also for alternative indie act, Nick Cave would be possible choice.

Cool analysis, let me add some considerations, if you don't mind:

* BMTH will probably be in the book: 2015 was a success; although the experiment of the APE of last year was unsuccessful, so I doubt they will make them headliner.

* Hard to believe that The Killers will be around from june til august, they are too big to be in need to do 3 months of festival circuit. On the other hand, it seems pretty obvious that Sziget this year is aiming for Bon Iver, which apparently share with the Killers the same target, so I'd believe they will focus on Bon Iver rather than obtaining an expensive contract from The Killers.

* Armin is big enough to headline an EDM spot. If Kygo did... Anyway, it would be a co-head name, I doubt it can be able to carry a whole day as Garrix did. An option could also be to have an extremely powerful Party Arena for the day, in order to charme the EDM fans. Dimitri Minchia & Like Pirla could be an answer to that, as they are extremely acclaimed in Hungary. IMO, SHM would be too expensive - otherwise they would have done it this year past.

* MCR are very popular among the teenagers of 10 years ago, so I doubt they will appear. Moreover, being a reunion, I doubt they will have a light cachet and will be down for anything different from an influent spot, so no, I think they are not high in Sziget's priority, sadly.

* Haven't heard a thing from Vampire Weekend so far, so I rule them out for now (anyway, they are classy and Sziget does not look to keen for class lately, but every year they pick one or two names out of the bucket); while Tame Impala are expected to do something: it is all about the period they will decide to play in Europe.

* Nick Cave, IMO, is ruled out by the target and can be considered only as a last resort option, same way The National were this year. 

I also want to point out that we may have run out of RHCP, Coldplay, Billie Eilish and Foals, as it looks like they will play in early summer or not play at all. This would put Sziget in a weird position, as it looks like there is a shortage of headliners around (weird, never happens...)

As Yelo points out, there are very few headline-sized acts that are currently rumoured to be around in August (although Reading and Leeds has yet to announce and all their four headliners this year played at Sziget earlier in the month).

I wonder if this might mean that Sziget has to pay top-dollar for a couple of big artists to return to Europe in August, meaning that we get a watered-down list of headliners. Two big hitters, an EDM act, a rapper and three acts that might normally be at sub level?

In addition: I have listened again to Bon Iver and still cannot begin to understand how they are have headliner status. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Edited by swelsbyuk
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, swelsbyuk said:

As Yelo points out, there are very few headline-sized acts that are currently rumoured to be around in August (although Reading and Leeds has yet to announce and all their four headliners this year played at Sziget earlier in the month).

I wonder if this might mean that Sziget has to pay top-dollar for a couple of big artists to return to Europe in August, meaning that we get a watered-down list of headliners. Two big hitters, an EDM act, a rapper and three acts that might normally be at sub level?

In addition: I have listened again to Bon Iver and still cannot begin to understand how they are have headliner status. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

It just depends when acts decide to hop back to America. I think Killers are pretty likely and they definitely don't share the target audience with Bon Iver if that was what Yelo meant? They will definitely tour all summer they tend to normally although i would expect more that they do the UK shows, maybe like RW and Rosklide then head to america.

• Like 1

One a scale of 1 (no chance) to 10 (guaranteed), what are the chances of Paul McCartney next year now that he's been announced for Glasto?

Is he too much of the type of heritage act that Sziget shies away from? Or is it their opportunity to try and book one of the few remaining living legends of music?

Edited by swelsbyuk

1 hour ago, swelsbyuk said:

One a scale of 1 (no chance) to 10 (guaranteed), what are the chances of Paul McCartney next year now that he's been announced for Glasto?

Is he too much of the type of heritage act that Sziget shies away from? Or is it their opportunity to try and book one of the few remaining living legends of music?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swelsbyuk said:

i think he costs wayyy too much and they wont do the ed sheeran mistake again with over crouded festival

15 hours ago, dude111 said:

i think he costs wayyy too much and they wont do the ed sheeran mistake again with over crouded festival

The issue with first day seems to be that there's no alternatives. Most of other stages are not running so everybody are obviously going to be at the main stage. Would make much more sense to open all the other program venues from Monday, people would scatter all around the island. They did open A38 on Monday for the first time which was a good start.

1 minute ago, eyebrain said:

The issue with first day seems to be that there's no alternatives. Most of other stages are not running so everybody are obviously going to be at the main stage. Would make much more sense to open all the other program venues from Monday, people would scatter all around the island. They did open A38 on Monday for the first time which was a good start.

This year they opened all of the stages on Wednesday. (It's Wednesday-Wednesday for a few years now.)The problem was that there were lots of non festival-goers on that day who were there only to see Ed Sheeran and as soon as he finished they wanted to go home. 

Just now, eyebrain said:

Well, during the daytime you actually always have two major options that are Main Stage and A38. The Europe Stage, is the only decent alternative in terms of musical offering: Lightstage does not overlap if not by matter of minutes, Colisseum is techno, Party Arena for how it is thought right now would be useless at that time of the day and they removed the World and the Blues stages lately. 

The only idea I have is that Party Arena is not used from 16 to 22 and they could use it to promote some electro names that they put in those years in the A38 or Main Stage (I'm looking at Sofi Tukker, i.e., but to some extent it can be extended also to names the like of Mura Masa - the arena is not small at all): this would hopefully give more variety to the fest, as it would leave room to some more instrument-oriented music in the A38, solving one of the main issues the musical offering had in the latest years.

Problem is that all of this would take budget away from Main Stage, where it looks they are investing massively lately, so yeah, won't happen, I guess

• Like 1