Sziget 2020

jj200

4 minutes ago, Mondo-kun said:

Bon Iver in Finland and Sweden between 13-16 August.
Personally can't see them at Sziget, but still now there's one more band in August mix.

I actually can, would be a weak pick in the structure of the festival but still a decent one. I believe that if they struggle to find 7 headliners, they will turn on names like Bon Iver in a heartbeat - if cachet allows

5 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Is Bon Iver big enough to headline? If they did I think they would be a very weak and disappointing choice imho.

Bon Iver headline festivals throughout Europe, so certainly big enough that way. I dont think they've ever played Budapest though, not even around that part of Europe. So perhaps dont have a foot hold in that part of Europe as they do elsewhere.

Personally speaking would be delighted if they headlined, same way I was when National were announced.

Edited by thetime

13 minutes ago, thetime said:

Bon Iver headline festivals throughout Europe, so certainly big enough that way. I dont think they've ever played Budapest though, not even around that part of Europe. So perhaps dont have a foot hold in that part of Europe as they do elsewhere.

Personally speaking would be delighted if they headlined, same way I was when National were announced.

I love The National and can see how Bon Iver might be booked as a comparable act but I just don't get them. I bought 'For Emma, Forever Ago' when it came out due to the hype. I thought it was boring as hell.

Perhaps I should give them another try, regardless of whether they are announced or not.

Bon Iver are massive in the US and some parts of Europe; UK, Scandinavia, maybe Paris / Amsterdam / Berlin.

But more eastern / southern, they dont mean that much, and i dont think they are a good fit for Sziget. Just not that cup of tea.

But amazing band.

11 minutes ago, Andrej said:

Bon Iver are massive in the US and some parts of Europe; UK, Scandinavia, maybe Paris / Amsterdam / Berlin.

They do seem to focus on those areas more so than Eastern Europe.

Thinking out of the box though. Sziget do like to aim at the UK/Dutch festival goer, so it wouldn't be out of the question them doing that with Bon Iver.

1 hour ago, swelsbyuk said:

I love The National and can see how Bon Iver might be booked as a comparable act but I just don't get them. I bought 'For Emma, Forever Ago' when it came out due to the hype. I thought it was boring as hell.

Perhaps I should give them another try, regardless of whether they are announced or not.

Same, I just don't get the hype around the Indie Folk wave. But okay, it can be just me, anyway they solo headlined Mad Cool, so yeah, they are big enough.

40 minutes ago, thetime said:

They do seem to focus on those areas more so than Eastern Europe.

Thinking out of the box though. Sziget do like to aim at the UK/Dutch festival goer, so it wouldn't be out of the question them doing that with Bon Iver.

Especially because of this. Yes, Sziget is in Hungary, but at the same time, Sziget has a majority of western visitors: I believe that, like Benicassim is an english festival in Spain, Sziget has become a western festival in the east. So yeah, I actually expect Sziget to go on Bon Iver, especially if the announcement is coming during these present days

I'd take every single 2019 headliner over Bon Iver, even Post Malone. 

I've just asked the four members of staff in my office (aged 18, 25, 27 and 41) if anyone likes Bon Iver and they all looked at me blankly. The general consensus is "heard of them but never heard anything by them". Hardly a scientific study but still ?

EDIT: Just checked, Bon Iver's last album got to number 11 in the UK and spent 5 weeks on the chart. Hardly headline stats imho.

Edited by swelsbyuk

26 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

I've just asked the four members of staff in my office (aged 18, 25, 27 and 41) if anyone likes Bon Iver and they all looked at me blankly. The general consensus is "heard of them but never heard anything by them". Hardly a scientific study but still ?

EDIT: Just checked, Bon Iver's last album got to number 11 in the UK and spent 5 weeks on the chart. Hardly headline stats imho.

Sold out Wembley arena for there UK arena tour next April/May, played 8 day residency at the Apollo last year as well. Headlining festivals in Europe this year and next year.

That is perhaps a better indication than chart position.

29 minutes ago, dude111 said:

maybe a38 headliner?

if the editors did it so can them

Still scratching my head how editors are doing arenas next year and I am a huge fan of editors. Hopefully grab both Bon Iver and Editors.

Edited by thetime

45 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Saw Bon Iver at Nos Alive last year, I was totally underwhelmed, they just didn't work on the big stage IMHO.

2 minutes ago, PintoMcGuinness said:

Saw Bon Iver at Nos Alive last year, I was totally underwhelmed, they just didn't work on the big stage IMHO.

You mean Boring Iver. I was there too and even if I love them on records they totally killed the atmosphere of the night. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, thetime said:

Sold out Wembley arena for there UK arena tour next April/May, played 8 day residency at the Apollo last year as well. Headlining festivals in Europe this year and next year.

That is perhaps a better indication than chart position.

Yeah but loads of tickets still available for Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds and Glasgow ?

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on the merits of Bon Iver headlining Sziget.

Happy that we both think Editors would be a good booking though ?

• Upvote 1

A Hungarian guy who works close to the festival scene made a list about the artists who might come to the major festivals in Hungary. He also said that we can expect a small surprise at 14th November. 

(As he said these are just possibilities but in the previous years he got quite good tips) 

Screenshot_20191109-213331.png

1 hour ago, #1SzigetFan said:

I think that RHCP are now unlikely for Sziget because they will play Firenze Rocks in June... usually bands from other continents that are playing in Europe in June don't stay around until August.

You say that - RHCP have always been a band that do something along the lines of one month on tour then 2/3 weeks off, or a schedule to that effect. So I wouldn't rule it out necessarily.

Edited by charlierc

On 11/9/2019 at 8:45 PM, glavakpeti said:

A Hungarian guy who works close to the festival scene made a list about the artists who might come to the major festivals in Hungary. He also said that we can expect a small surprise at 14th November. 

(As he said these are just possibilities but in the previous years he got quite good tips) 

Screenshot_20191109-213331.png

Any idea what the small surprise on Thursday might be? Do we think they may make their first headliner announcement to tie in with Prime tickets going on sale?

3 hours ago, swelsbyuk said:

Just been announced that Billie Eilish is releasing new material on the afternoon of 13 November. The small surprise might be related to that? Might also account for Prime tickets going on sale on 14th, perhaps with the announcement of Billie as a headliner as the small surprise?

Honestly I don't know anything, he just said that there might be an other reason why we should wait for this Thursday. 

He gave a minimal amount of information but it was enough to make some of us excited. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, glavakpeti said:

Honestly I don't know anything, he just said that there might be an other reason why we should wait for this Thursday. 

He gave a minimal amount of information but it was enough to make some of us excited. 

They always announce 10 days before tickets go on sale don't they.