Sziget 2020

jj200

18 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Think this highlights the difficulty that bookers have. They can't possibly please everyone.

True but sziget is usually good in putting enough diversity to, whilst rarely delight anyone, keep everyone relatively happy.

I generally like to have one shit day to take the day off and refresh...

So, I had some spare time at work. I tried to figure out something that is actually close to what Sziget might be this year, taking in consideration the names that the community brought here. That is what I got:

image.thumb.png.e90c5f1c7d4492a16582c61e5e68eeb9.png

Now, I am pretty sure that some - if not most - of the names is still MIA in the festival circuit this year and hence are not to be considered as in tour, but something similar can actually happen.

Would I be happy with that? Yes-ish, I guess that a lot would depend on the A38 lineup.

• Upvote 2

Yelo I think this is a more accurate guide to what will be there.  I do not think they will book any off the acts like Nine-inch Nails etc as I don’t think they have a broad appeal that the organisers will be looking for. I would love to see Springsteen but again I don’t think he will appeal to the younger crowd that the Foo’s did.

Foals are touring so I can see them coming, Dave or AJ, Lewis, one Gallagher, Keane/Faithless/ or Kaisers. Harry would fit the bill in the same way that Sean did a few years ago. A few of these bands are touring next year or have a new album-Pet Shop Boys/ Elbow/ Foals/Kasabian/Billy/Thom Yorke. A few female acts but I would love to see Lorde, but I could also see one from Sia/Ellie/Grande.  As for the headliner I can see them going for some off these KOL/Coldplay/ RHCP, Ellish/Robbie/ Lambert&Queen/Rap act. They seem to appeal more to a younger wider crowd.  I think there will a few surprises and I hope for Bruce Springsteen/Fleetwood Mac/Weller and no Lana :) 

3 hours ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

So, I had some spare time at work. I tried to figure out something that is actually close to what Sziget might be this year, taking in consideration the names that the community brought here. That is what I got:

image.thumb.png.e90c5f1c7d4492a16582c61e5e68eeb9.png

Now, I am pretty sure that some - if not most - of the names is still MIA in the festival circuit this year and hence are not to be considered as in tour, but something similar can actually happen.

Would I be happy with that? Yes-ish, I guess that a lot would depend on the A38 lineup.

I think that the days should be swapped a little - RHCP should be closing really and Kasabian is quite a strong sub i'd maybe swap them with Halsey as Foals on the mainland really need the boost. Could probably headline honestly I swear they have before. I think this lineup would be pretty popular just needs a bit more rebalancing. Two expensive headliners but otherwise the other 5 are fairly cheap/middle cost ones so probably possible.

• Like 1

Went with AM, Strokes, RHCP, Glass Animals, Interpol, Two Door, Vampire Weekend, Stereophonics, Muse and someone i forgot myself. Theres no point going for a balanced realistic lineup really as they probably just look at the most voted for artists so your just adding a +1 to like Billie Eillish ? 

31 minutes ago, gfa said:

Went with AM, Strokes, RHCP, Glass Animals, Interpol, Two Door, Vampire Weekend, Stereophonics, Muse and someone i forgot myself. Theres no point going for a balanced realistic lineup really as they probably just look at the most voted for artists so your just adding a +1 to like Billie Eillish ? 

As if they aren't already chatting with the managers of the big names they are aiming for since long before Sziget 2019 took place.

Be aware that lineup building is not something one makes in a weekend after getting the pool done and this is more likely to give a direction for the rest of the line up / the big peaks for the next years coming

27 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

As if they aren't already chatting with the managers of the big names they are aiming for since long before Sziget 2019 took place.

Be aware that lineup building is not something one makes in a weekend after getting the pool done and this is more likely to give a direction for the rest of the line up / the big peaks for the next years coming

Of course but still putting a balanced lineup instead of what you like is pointless in my eyes - for 2020 or 2021+ you may as well put what you like

8 hours ago, gfa said:

Of course but still putting a balanced lineup instead of what you like is pointless in my eyes - for 2020 or 2021+ you may as well put what you like

Weirdly enough, that is what I like - at least for this year; of course I would love Nine Inch Nails, Tool or - god bless them - Sonic Youth, but it will never gonna happen: I appreciate the romanticism but that era of metal bands on the main stage is gone for good.

Plus I see no point in suggesting Sziget to engage desperately unknown american rappers or weird ass IDM djs that barely make it to Resident Advisor, and that is mostly everything I listen other than Foals lately

37 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Weirdly enough, that is what I like - at least for this year; of course I would love Nine Inch Nails, Tool or - god bless them - Sonic Youth, but it will never gonna happen: I appreciate the romanticism but that era of metal bands on the main stage is gone for good.

Plus I see no point in suggesting Sziget to engage desperately unknown american rappers or weird ass IDM djs that barely make it to Resident Advisor, and that is mostly everything I listen other than Foals lately

Yup you need to go to the dedicated festivals for those acts these days. However three days solid of metal/heavy music tends to do my head in plus my fitness level ain’t up to it anymore.

• Like 1