Sziget 2020

jj200

8 hours ago, chemica said:

I fully expect Black Keys to be touring next summer. Are they big enough to headline?? Probably. 

Odds are really low, actually... Anyway if they will tour and assuming that Sziget considers them compliant to their target (they don't, imho), they would be headliner, yep

The Black Keys are a strange one. IMHO they are big enough to headline but not big enough to sell the additional tickets required to book them as a headliner. Does that make sense?

They are too big to sub someone like, for example, Coldplay, Killers or RHCP but not big enough to be booked instead of one of these acts.

They remind me of Tame Impala in that way - although I know others believe Tame Impala might be nailed on as a headliner this year.

28 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Someone's just posted in the Glastonbury forum that Sziget wants Taylor Swift but they're struggling to afford her.

I'm not surprised that they want her but am surprised they can't afford her - she surely can't be that much more expensive than Ed or the Foos can she?

I think that's because she's not touring Europe in August and her management is demanding much more money to bring her back from the US (probably just for one show).

1 hour ago, swelsbyuk said:

Someone's just posted in the Glastonbury forum that Sziget wants Taylor Swift but they're struggling to afford her.

I'm not surprised that they want her but am surprised they can't afford her - she surely can't be that much more expensive than Ed or the Foos can she?

26 minutes ago, Newjem said:

I think that's because she's not touring Europe in August and her management is demanding much more money to bring her back from the US (probably just for one show).

Plus, and that is wishful thinking, maybe they decided to manage the budget differently with respect to this year

We talked a lot about the acts we would like to see on stage and I think you all have a good musical taste. 

Now let's discuss the acts we wouldn't be happy with! 

For example I don't like the idea of Taylor Swift being a headliner because she's so expensive and it would cause an unbalanced lineup. 

1 hour ago, glavakpeti said:

We talked a lot about the acts we would like to see on stage and I think you all have a good musical taste. 

Now let's discuss the acts we wouldn't be happy with! 

For example I don't like the idea of Taylor Swift being a headliner because she's so expensive and it would cause an unbalanced lineup. 

There's always other things to do at Sziget but, a lot of the time, festivals are judged on the quality of their headliners. This year we saw them all except The National (big mistake!) and would hope to do the same next year.

Personally, of acts that are potentially big enough to headline but I have no interest in, the first would be a euro-rock act such as Rammstein or Volbeat. Hopefully too heavy for Sziget but not my kind of music at all.

If a rap headliner is chosen, I'd hope for Eminem or Childish Gambino. I'd struggle to keep my interest up while Travis Scott or similar headlined.

Other than that, I'm open to pretty much everything.

And, as I think Sziget's owners want it to be viewed in the same way as Glastonbury, Lollapalooza or Rock in Rio, I'm reasonably confident we will have a 'huge' headliner again next year - be it Taylor Swift, Coldplay, Pearl Jam or RHCP and I'd be happy with any of these.

I suspect we won't get more than one though (ala Ed and Foos) for the very reason you highlight - the likely impact on the undercard (unless ticket prices increase by 10 per cent). 

Edited by swelsbyuk
  • Like 1

Sziget is the great festival, but my issue with them is that they are too headliner focused at expense of other names on the bill. At any other festival I enjoy afternoons, seeing many new up and coming artists, tons of interesting names. Sziget is very much hit and miss except headliners and I really struggled what to see during the day.  I am skipping next year unless they change the approach - which is unlikely as it seems to be working for them (as confirmed by CEO in the interview).

Given this context I am not surprised they try to book Taylor S, makes a lot of sense for them.

Edited by Ferda
typos correction
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ferda said:

Sziget is the great festival, but my issue with them is that they are too headliner focused at expense of other names on the bill. At any other festival I enjoy afternoons, seeing many new up and coming artists, tons of interesting names. Sziget is very much hit and miss except headliners and I really struggled what to see during the day.  I am skipping next year unless they change the approach - which is unlikely as it seems to be working for them (as confirmed by CEO in the interview).

Given this context I am not surprised they try to book Taylor S, makes a lot of sense for them.

Where is this?

39 minutes ago, Ferda said:

I had my best ever day at sziget last year. Frank Carter, African circus, Idles, Foo fighters. That said the musical direction is definitely changing but I think that can be said for the majority of the main stream festivals.....what can you say....the kids like popstars and as someone once said the children are the future...

14 minutes ago, Steve. said:

I had my best ever day at sziget last year. Frank Carter, African circus, Idles, Foo fighters. That said the musical direction is definitely changing but I think that can be said for the majority of the main stream festivals.....what can you say....the kids like popstars and as someone once said the children are the future...

The under card was really good this year imo. 

On paper it was weak of what I know, but going through spotify and getting to know the artists it was a great year. So amazing artists I never knew about, Xavier Rudd being the best of the entire weekend for me.

49 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Would love it if these guys appeared next year. Big enough to sub or headline if they did play?

Or not something that fits with Sziget's crowd?

https://www.nme.com/news/music/original-hole-line-up-reunites-for-rehearsal-session-in-la-2555340

Think they prob a bit old school for Sziget. Would also love to see them but don’t expect it to be on the island.

2 hours ago, Nicklord said:

I would say they're too old for pretty much every festival in the EU.

Don't think they have a lot of fans younger than 35 

Not sure that's entirely true. My daughter is 15 and she and her friends have got into Hole in the last year after the song 'Celebrity Skin' was featured prominently in the film Captain Marvel.