Sziget 2020

jj200

Okay, so, back onto predictions. and based on this year's picks, I'm going with:

Taylor Swift

Lewis Capaldi / Foals

Calvin Harris

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Stormzy

Billie Eilish / Halsey / Haim

Coldplay

(and a 20 per cent increase in ticket prices to pay for them all!)

Edited by swelsbyuk

1 hour ago, swelsbyuk said:

Okay, so, back onto predictions. and based on this year's picks, I'm going with:

Taylor Swift

Lewis Capaldi / Foals

Calvin Harris

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Stormzy

Billie Eilish / Halsey / Haim

Coldplay

(and a 20 per cent increase in ticket prices to pay for them all!)

Jesus Christ, that woud be weak and Nick Cave would be so out of context that you could rather put Cannibal Corpse in that position and the cringy feeling would stay the same. 

I sure hope for two big headliners, but I definetely hope it won't be so pop and, I hate to say that cause it may sounds racist, british-oriented.

If we skip Taylor Swift, which is likely, and Stormzy (who I reckon is not an headliner outside of UK, but same went for The 1975 last year, so, actually, fuck me) and Lewis Capaldi, the thing is pretty cool with me.

Anyway, at the moment, I see no august festival releasing any name, so we are just throwing random bet so far.

33 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Jesus Christ, that woud be weak and Nick Cave would be so out of context that you could rather put Cannibal Corpse in that position and the cringy feeling would stay the same. 

I sure hope for two big headliners, but I definetely hope it won't be so pop and, I hate to say that cause it may sounds racist, british-oriented.

If we skip Taylor Swift, which is likely, and Stormzy (who I reckon is not an headliner outside of UK, but same went for The 1975 last year, so, actually, fuck me) and Lewis Capaldi, the thing is pretty cool with me.

Anyway, at the moment, I see no august festival releasing any name, so we are just throwing random bet so far.

We Brits are not a race so you can't be racist towards us. You can be xenophobic though ;-)

It's not a line-up I want, it's just a suggestion to start discussion - so happy it's done that.

Pleased to hear Stormzy is unlikely a headliner outside UK, I'm not a fan but know nothing of who could be 'Post Malone' for 2020.

I'm no fan of Nick Cave either but The National was a leftfield booking last year and seemed to work - perhaps Cannibal Corpse could be reserved for 2021?

That all said, I'd personally be happy with Taylor, Coldplay and Foals.

Edited by swelsbyuk

10 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

We Brits are not a race so you can't be racist towards us. You can be xenophobic though ?

It's not a line-up I want, it's just a suggestion to start discussion - so happy it's done that.

Pleased to hear Stormzy is unlikely a headliner outside UK, I'm not a fan but know nothing of who could be 'Post Malone' for 2020.

I'm no fan of Nick Cave either but The National was a leftfield booking last year and seemed to work - perhaps Cannibal Corpse could be reserved for 2021?

That all said, I'd personally be happy with Taylor, Coldplay and Foals.

Well, xenophobic is the right word, but yet something I don't want to be pulled over me, so don't misunderstand me!

I might understimate the growth of Stormzy in the last years, but for what concerns me, 2018 he was second slot down on Sziget Main Stage (and mostly first slot on main stage or middle slot in on secondary stage on other non-UK festivals) and one year later he is headlining the most important festival in the world. So, yeah, either I am understimating the artist or it is the grime scene that is super active in England and Michael Eavies just rode the wave. 

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed him in 2018, it's a good show and he's an good performer, but maybe it is too soon as headliner with only one LP released 3 years ago. I'd say much depends on how  well will the second album be received.

For what concern Nick Cave, I'm saying that he would sound odd in that lineup, not that he would sound odd as a pick (although is a bet on Sziget's demographic, nowadays). The National would be an odd name in that line up as well, but given the presence of Florence and Foo Fighters last year, they found a suitable context (although IMHO it was totally fucked up that there was Post Malone between them and Flo - however I understand that creating a lineup is hard and The National were a last minute).

I say that if Sziget gets Coldplay and Billie (would fill better with a co-headiner and Halsey is a good shout) and put them close in days (to sell 3-days ticket) that would be ace for the business, and I reckon that as a concrete chance. 

Coldplay + Taylor Swift unbalance the whole formula in two directions, imo: we saw the first one this year - you invest a huge slice of your budget on two artists and the rest of the line up risks to be mediocre; the second one is that you put the last nail on genre's variety's coffin, having the two biggest names blinking at the same fanbase, you risk to cut off a whole parte of the audience that in the last years has been amused by names the like of Foo Fighters and Gorillaz

Sorry for the wall of text!

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Well, xenophobic is the right word, but yet something I don't want to be pulled over me, so don't misunderstand me!

I might understimate the growth of Stormzy in the last years, but for what concerns me, 2018 he was second slot down on Sziget Main Stage (and mostly first slot on main stage or middle slot in on secondary stage on other non-UK festivals) and one year later he is headlining the most important festival in the world. So, yeah, either I am understimating the artist or it is the grime scene that is super active in England and Michael Eavies just rode the wave. 

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed him in 2018, it's a good show and he's an good performer, but maybe it is too soon as headliner with only one LP released 3 years ago. I'd say much depends on how  well will the second album be received.

For what concern Nick Cave, I'm saying that he would sound odd in that lineup, not that he would sound odd as a pick (although is a bet on Sziget's demographic, nowadays). The National would be an odd name in that line up as well, but given the presence of Florence and Foo Fighters last year, they found a suitable context (although IMHO it was totally fucked up that there was Post Malone between them and Flo - however I understand that creating a lineup is hard and The National were a last minute).

I say that if Sziget gets Coldplay and Billie (would fill better with a co-headiner and Halsey is a good shout) and put them close in days (to sell 3-days ticket) that would be ace for the business, and I reckon that as a concrete chance. 

Coldplay + Taylor Swift unbalance the whole formula in two directions, imo: we saw the first one this year - you invest a huge slice of your budget on two artists and the rest of the line up risks to be mediocre; the second one is that you put the last nail on genre's variety's coffin, having the two biggest names blinking at the same fanbase, you risk to cut off a whole parte of the audience that in the last years has been amused by names the like of Foo Fighters and Gorillaz

Sorry for the wall of text!

I think you are right about Taylor/Coldplay taking a massive chunk of the budget. We enjoyed the undercard this year (our first year) but can see how it was stronger in years previous. I think Nick Cave is unlikely, was just throwing the name out there for discussion.

Whoever eventually gets announced, I'm sure next year will be a good one! And fingers crossed for Eminem along with you!

• Like 1

I dont think we will hear news any sooner than november, but that just (bad) wishful thinking

17 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Any acts, large or small, who we think might be nailed on (or very likely) for 2020?

Has Sam Fender got any kind of following in Europe? He's massive in the UK at the moment.

Honestly most of the names out so far in the circuit are ruled out being on early summer (so, unlikely to tour in august) or too heavy for Sziget.

So far, I would just nail on Billie Eilish: her schedule fits, her appeal fits, everything fits perfectly for a solo headliner (ehehe)

3 hours ago, swelsbyuk said:

Any acts, large or small, who we think might be nailed on (or very likely) for 2020?

Has Sam Fender got any kind of following in Europe? He's massive in the UK at the moment.

His debut album came out about 3 weeks ago if that so he won't yet. Still very possible to be picked to play probably opening the main stage. I think he is pretty damn likely for Reading and Leeds which is August so definitely possible. Reckon he will just be doing festivals in Europe all summer to be honest can't see him going to America at all or maybe just for a brief period.

11 minutes ago, ZPaul1 said:

Daft question but when do tickets actually go on Sale?

This year was 1st October, probably early to tie in with Sheeran announcement.

Year before 8th November, I would say November is more likely.

Edited by thetime

Any chance that Sziget might finally dip its toes in the 'heritage' acts market, or do we think the cost / age demographic makes it unlikely?

Just looking on the Glastonbury rumours page and Fleetwood Mac, Elton John and others are being strongly rumoured / hoped for.

Might balance out the youth of Billie Eilish!

44 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Any chance that Sziget might finally dip its toes in the 'heritage' acts market, or do we think the cost / age demographic makes it unlikely?

Just looking on the Glastonbury rumours page and Fleetwood Mac, Elton John and others are being strongly rumoured / hoped for.

I think most European festivals don't really do heritage acts because they just aren't that well received as in the UK. I can't see Fleetwood's price tag being justified (its around Sheeran levels if not higher) and neither act would do well to cater for their current audience.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think most European festivals don't really do heritage acts because they just aren't that well received as in the UK. I can't see Fleetwood's price tag being justified (its around Sheeran levels if not higher) and neither act would do well to cater for their current audience.

Thought as much.

16 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Glastonbury has a much more varied age range in there usual customer.

13 minutes ago, gfa said:

I would say your traditional big euro festivals still have the older acts, for example roskilde and pinkpop.

1 hour ago, activean said:

Ellie Goulding could come back to island after headlining in 2015, her new song video looks like Budapest city promo material. 

Is she a big name in Europe? She's British but I wouldn't say she's a particularly big name here anymore. Her most recent singles have all flopped. She's had hits but I can't say I've ever met someone who classed themselves as an Ellie Goulding fan!

Edited by swelsbyuk

10 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Is she a big name in Europe? She's British but I wouldn't say she's a particularly big name here anymore. Her most recent singles have all flopped. She's had hits but I can't say I've ever met someone who classed themselves as an Ellie Goulding fan!

I'd say they already made a mistake in 2015 with one of the most flat headliner I can remember.

Doubt they will pick her again, especially because there are fresher names for the pop music around and having Ellie Goulding against other festivals with Billie Eilish or Taylor Swift or god knows what else will come around til february is just subpar