Sziget 2020

jj200

24 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Did any of you do Sziget Prime last year, or know someone who did? If so, how did you get the freebies? Were they posted to you or did you have to collect them at the festival? Thanks.

I was a Szitizen Prime. If you didn't get the package via mail, then you had to go on the Island somewhere at the NGO Island area to get your stuff. However, maybe they still have some and they can try to send to you again via mail.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, #1SzigetFan said:

I was a Szitizen Prime. If you didn't get the package via mail, then you had to go on the Island somewhere at the NGO Island area to get your stuff. However, maybe they still have some and they can try to send to you again via mail.

Thanks. I was just thinking of doing it for next year, I didn't do it this year.

1 hour ago, WreckinBar said:

What would people think about a line up like this? placements might be a bit odd but i think something like this is plausible

Picture1.png

I think Billie Eilish could headline, at Sziget even the sub plays 90 minutes so if they want her she'll make it happen, maybe with guests? She's too big to even headline A38.

I would love a Biffy Clyro - Kasabian - Foals day!

2 hours ago, WreckinBar said:

What would people think about a line up like this? placements might be a bit odd but i think something like this is plausible

Picture1.png

Undercard is good but heads are extremely weak in comparison with 2019.
One of Foals / Stormzy / Kasabian trio is definetely possible, but I don't think Sziget will risk and make three days with British-oriented headliners. 
Also they could promote Billie Eilish as headliner but will probably put her before the last main stage act of the day like Macklemore.

I think that headline lacks a massive act, Green Day are big but nothing on Foos/Ed Sheeran and all the other headliners are on the smaller side. Its also wayyy too British I think. Flume should headline the tent they need the night time.

3 hours ago, WreckinBar said:

Picture1.png

No way Flume third down, he will touring next year I think and he's a contender for a closing spot (or subhead) almost everywhere imo.

Green Day announcing a tour later today with Fall Out Boy and Weezer. Be interesting to see the dates and if it comes to Europe or not - we could get all three?

Off topic, but is Tame Impala a big act in Europe? I see them mentioned quite a lot on here as a potential headliner and always think WTF? I find them quite boring and most of my friends in the UK haven't got a clue who they are.

Edited by swelsbyuk

38 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

Green Day announcing a tour later today with Fall Out Boy and Weezer. Be interesting to see the dates and if it comes to Europe or not - we could get all three?

Off topic, but is Tame Impala a big act in Europe? I see them mentioned quite a lot on here as a potential headliner and always think WTF? I find them quite boring and most of my friends in the UK haven't got a clue who they are.

For what concern GD, I reckon it should be a stadium tour - that would kick them all out of the window. Or am I wrong?

IMO, Tame Impala is an act the size of The National: not properly pure headliner material, but it lends itself well to the duty - what I mean is that a festival opts for a strong undercard orientation, or it is not a major one, or simply looks for a relatively-cheap (but efficient in terms of critical acclaim) name, Tame Impala pops up.

For what concerns them being boring, I suggest you to stop spotify and go watching their set at Glasto this year: I was not impressed when I saw them live at MC '18 (both because they played in daylight/sunset, both because I was waiting for Pearl Jam on the other stage), but with their right setting they are just mindblowing.

4 hours ago, swelsbyuk said:

Tame has been a big topic in the reading thread as to whether they are big enough to headline there and it seems very split. I think they could at Sziget as they are certainly bigger for the general audience there than The National and they are also on the way up. Definitely would have to play at night as their set is very focused on the lights and stuff.

42 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

When does Sziget normally make its first announcement? Looking back at last year, Ed was announced in September but I get the feeling it's normally later than that. Any clues?

This is how it was in recent years:
- for 2016: prime tickets 24.11.2015, first announcement 03.12.2015
- for 2017: prime tickets 25.09.2016, first announcement 15.12.2016
- for 2018: prime tickets 08.11.2017, first announcement 22.01.2018
- for 2019: first announcement 20.09.2018, prime tickets 01.10.2018 

I'd say this year they announced Ed Sheeran so early because he announced all of his tour dates simultaneously. Due to that Sziget also needed to start ticket sales earlier. Expecting first bandwave in December.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OllieR said:

Who do people think will headline the a38 stage?

Apparently that is not a defined status any more, since 2018 and 2019 editions put some weird names in that spot (Anna of the North, Black Mountain / Khruangin against Idles, Lemaitre): although usually the biggest non-electronic names are playing at 23.45 slot