Sziget 2020

jj200

1 hour ago, jj200 said:

Now that sziget 2019 is over its time the guess the headliners of next year's edition.

Foals

Coldplay

Stormzy

Calvin Harris

Kings of Leon

Billie Elish

The Killers

Billie Elish

Red Hot chili pappers

Panic at the disco 

The Chainsmokers 

Khalid

Bruno Mars

Imagine Dragons / Coldplay 

14 minutes ago, activean said:

Billie Elish

Red Hot chili pappers

Panic at the disco 

The Chainsmokers 

Khalid

Bruno Mars

Imagine Dragons / Coldplay 

That's good but I can't see panic at the disco being there next year.

Imagine dragons and Coldplay won't co headline so Coldplay will headline and imagine dragons will sub.

44 minutes ago, Noeliam said:

Hmmm as I might actually mae it next year I'll go with a headliners prediction.

Tame Impala

Billie Eilish

The Strokes

Mumford & Sons

Stormzy

The Killers

Christine & The Queens

Some rock, some rap, some pop. I hope there won't be an EDM DJ.

Mumford and sons headlined in 2018 so its too soon to return.

I'd go for:

Two big names:

• Red Hot Chili Peppers / Kings of Leon / The Strokes / Green Day;
  • Eminem / Coldplay

One DJ:

• Tiesto  / Armin Van Bureen / Chainsmokers / Calvin Harris

One/Two Cohead:

• Sam Smith;
  • Foals

Two regular heads:

• Tame Impala;
  • Royal Blood / Imagine Dragons

Two lower heads:

• Billie Eilish / Lorde;
  • Kasabian / The XX

So something like 

Eminem - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Tiesto - Tame Impala - Imagine Dragons - Billie Eilish - Kasabian (+ Foals - Sam Smith)

Although I reckon this a viable option, there is a lack of female headliners and UK headliners (Sziget seemed to point on UK audience heavily in the last two years), that is why I'd keep The XX and Royal Blood in the mix, if they are touring.

Other random info: Eminem and Coldplay are wishful thinking, but the size and exclusivity of Ed Sheeran and Foo Fighters this year make me think that times are mature to make such a leap, on the other hand RHCP/The Strokes/Green Day/KoL are nowhere comparable in price to Ed or Foo, so budget-wise that could be a strong duo. 

The DJ will simply be somebody high in DJ Mag toplist, possibly with history with Sziget-Balaton: the four I mentioned are the ones that seemed to belong to the characeristics the most.

Imagine Dragons could easily fill a subheadliner spot as Macklemore did this year, but it would be much cheesier just to put them as headliner: they sell - plus Macklemore was a last minute filler, so it followed a different path of reservation.

Billie Eilish is the weak-but-functional name of the edition (Dua Lipa, Post Malone, Ellie Goulding); I'd be gutted if Tame Impala are not in the mix already, given that they shall be touring again, and last but not least Kasabian are the british name for the british day to appeal the british audience (nothing against it, that would be the best pick for such a combo imho).

Opinions?

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Opinions?

Nice job. :D But I think that The Strokes aren't that huge in Hungary, so I think they can be there too.

These are my headliners predictions:

RHCP or Green Day

Tame Impala

The Strokes

Billie Eilish

Ariana Grande

A well-known DJ

Kasabian with Royal Blood as co-heads

I wouldn't be surprised if we would also get the The Weeknd / Kanye West / Drake to headline the Billie Eilish day or instead of The Strokes.

Btw, my real wish would be Tool or Rammstein at Sziget, but I don't think it'll happen. :(

Edited by #1SzigetFan

39 minutes ago, #1SzigetFan said:

Nice job. :D But I think that The Strokes aren't that huge in Hungary, so I think they can be there too.

These are my headliners predictions:

RHCP or Green Day

Tame Impala

The Strokes

Billie Eilish

Ariana Grande

A well-known DJ

Kasabian with Royal Blood as co-heads

I wouldn't be surprised if we would also get the The Weeknd / Kanye West / Drake to headline the Billie Eilish day or instead of The Strokes.

Btw, my real wish would be Tool or Rammstein at Sziget, but I don't think it'll happen. :(

Good point with the female big pop headliner à la Rihanna 2016 (ugh...): could definetely substitute Eminem-Coldplay. All in all, any big ass name prone to be exclusive can be thrown in the mix atm, I just got biased and put there the two most quality that came in my mind (that is all saying).

Anyway, if not Eminem, I reckon that Sziget will book an hip hop headliner anyway, same went with Kendrick and Post Malone in the last two years of new management.

For what concerns The Strokes, I understand your point, but I reckon they are rather expensive and I do not believe that Sziget would stand making them a non-top headliner...

P.S. Tool ❤️

• Upvote 1

I notice that Rammstein's tour in 2020 finishes on August 4th, the day before Sziget starts. I am really not a fan and some of their music, along with their videos, could be off-putting for some (myself included).

I'd be happy with most of the acts already mentioned but would also throw into the mix:

Beyonce

Lorde

Depeche Mode

AC/DC

Biffy Clyro

Lady Gaga

Muse

my wish is

queen + adam l

the weeknd/ khalid

marshmelo + lorde/rosalia

kasabian/biffy +sam smith

tame impala

green day

imagine dragons + billie eilish

i wish a lot more money for the other stages this year.

i guess we can see deniss lloyd, lizzo, charlie xcx and meduza somewhere on the line up.

Looked up more on the lineups for the last 2 editions and I put the acts into these categories:

Big rock act: Arctic Monkeys 2018, Foo Fighters 2019

Big pop act: Lana del Rey 2018, Ed Sheeran 2019

Big rap act: Kendrick Lamar 2018, Post Malone 2019

Big female act: Dua Lipa / Lana 2018, Florence + the Machine 2019

Mainstream co-headliners promoted on social media as headliners: Shawn Mendes 2018, 21 Pilots 2019

More well-known UK acts: Mumford and Sons - Gorillaz 2018 / The National - The 1975 2019 (Sziget is now strongly focused to bring as many people from UK as they can - the most visitors of the past 2 editions were from UK)

EDM act: Kygo 2018 / Martin Garrix 2019

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Afterwards I created a shortlist of possible acts that would fill the categories for the next year. There are some duplicates because some acts would be fine for other categories too. Here is the list:

Big rock act (pick 1): RHCP, Green Day, Radiohead, U2, Blur, Beck, Depeche Mode, Blink-182, Weezer, U2, Rammstein, Tool, System of a Down, Muse, Kings of Leon, The Strokes, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Bruce Springsteen, Robert Plant, Fleetwood Mac, Queen + Adam Lambert, Paul McCartney, The Who, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon

Big pop act (pick 1): The Weeknd, Coldplay, Ariana Grande, Lady Gaga, Imagine Dragons, Maroon 5, Beyonce, One Republic, Bruno Mars, ABBA

Big rap act (pick 1): Eminem, Migos, Drake, Kanye West, Cardi B, Donald Glover aka Childish Gambino, Chance the Rapper, Travis Scott, 21 Savage, Stormzy, Lil Wayne, Anderson .Paak

Big female act (pick 1): Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish, Lady Gaga, Cardi B, Adele, Beyonce, Nicki Minaj, Camila Cabello, Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus

Not too expensive, but mainstream co-headliners (pick 1): The Black Keys, Kasabian, Foals, Tyler, the Creator, Frank Ocean, Bon Iver, BROCKHAMPTON, Tame Impala

More big UK acts (pick 2): U2, Coldplay, Radiohead, Blur, Muse, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Manic Street Preachers, Oasis, Foals, Kasabian + co-headliner, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, Robert Plant, Fleetwood Mac, Queen + Adam Lambert, Paul McCartney, The Who

EDM act (pick 1): Major Lazer, DJ Snake, Hardwell, Calvin Harris, Tiesto, Armin van Buuren etc.

Of course that not any name from the list is realistic for the Sziget standards, but I listed the names that I think that still sell. It's not realistic to expect something like RHCP (1) - Coldplay (1) - Eminem (1) - Adele (1) - Tame Impala (co-heads on a day) - Radiohead & Blur (2) - Tiesto (1), but something like RHCP / Green Day / Radiohead (1) - Beyonce / Ariana Grande / Bruno Mars (1) - Eminem / Childish Gambino (1) - Lady Gaga / Cardi B - The Black Keys (1 - as co-heads like Shawn Mendes & TOP) - Kasabian + Noel Gallagher (co-heads) & Blur (2) - EDM DJ (1) would be realistic.

Who else do you think that should appear on the shortlist and would sell well?

Edited by #1SzigetFan
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, #1SzigetFan said:

Who else do you think that should appear on the shortlist and would sell well?

Twenty One Pilots headlined every festival they played across Europe -- really don't like them, but they couldn't be called as co-headliners. It's just a coincidence they played Sziget before Foos, maybe it was the only possible date. If TOP and Foos headlined different days, both of them would sell well. 
It's complicated thing about UK visitors -- last year there was Dua Lipa, who never headlined any festival before and yet after Sziget, and her day still was sold out. On the other hand there's The 1975 who also played by daylight or on the second stage at every festival (apart from UK ones). Sziget decided to promote them as headliners to engage Brits, and feels like it was the emptiest day of this year's festival. So I don't know if they take a risk and make one day's lineup mostly for UK people tastes like this year. In case they will Stormzy probably take the headline spot (with strong support act from UK). 
Can't see there old legends like U2, Bruce Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Paul McCartney, The Who, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon -- they'll take a big chunk of budget and I don't think Sziget target audience are into them. Metallica and Rammstein probably will continue their stadium tour (Rammstein already is). GnR are playing almost 4 hour long shows -- when should they open main stage on their day, 2PM? ?
You're probably right about other categories, but they still could mix rap and pop day (with The Weeknd), or book two electronic headliners (one EDM DJ and one like The Chemical Brothers). Let's wait for first acts of 2020 festival circle...

Edited by Mondo-kun
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mondo-kun said:

but they couldn't be called as co-headliners

I've put them like that because they played before the headlining slot. I also mentioned in my post that Sziget promoted them on social media as headliners & it was actually the same with Shawn Mendes in 2018. :P

On the other hand there's The 1975 who also played by daylight or on the second stage at every festival (apart from UK ones). Sziget decided to promote them as headliners to engage Brits, and feels like it was the emptiest day of this year's festival.

I think it depends... some UK names are popular in Eastern Europe too. The 1975 aren't one of them, but I think that they were "headlining" because they didn't find a better replacement for their day sadly.

So I don't know if they take a risk and make one day's lineup mostly for UK people tastes like this year. In case they will Stormzy probably take the headline spot (with strong support act from UK). 

Not sure if they'll do it the same way as this year, but what we know 100% sure is that they will focus a lot to bring the Brits to the festival next year as well.

Can't see there old legends like U2, Bruce Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Paul McCartney, The Who, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon -- they'll take a big chunk of budget and I don't think Sziget target audience are into them.

I know these are not realistic, but they had Prince once & if they won't be able to find a proper & popular rock band available, I think they might consider this option as well. For example Rock Werchter had Paul McCartney recently, meanwhile lots of festivals had The Cure this summer. Roskilde also had Bob Dylan + Robert Plant this year. Personally I would love to see an iconic act playing Sziget.

You're probably right about other categories, but they still could mix rap and pop day (with The Weeknd), or book two electronic headliners (one EDM DJ and one like The Chemical Brothers).

Having an electronic act like The Chems, Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, Daft Punk + an EDM DJ is definitely possible, but having 2 pure EDM DJs headling is not possible anymore because Sziget changed its direction. That's somehow good news. :D

Edited by #1SzigetFan

On 8/20/2019 at 11:22 AM, #1SzigetFan said:

More well-known UK acts: Mumford and Sons - Gorillaz 2018 / The National - The 1975 2019 (Sziget is now strongly focused to bring as many people from UK as they can - the most visitors of the past 2 editions were from UK)

But why so, money?

I can see George Ezra filling that spot next year, headlining UK festivals and also known outside  .. :)

1 hour ago, activean said:

But why so, money?

That's one reason, surely, but I don't think it's only that... 2 years ago Sziget Cultural Management (the company that manages Sziget festival & its smaller festivals in Hungary) was bought by Providence Equity Partners, an American company. One guy from there, James Barton, is former president of Electronic Music for Live Nation and also Creamfields Festival founder and another one, Paul Bedford, is former financial director of Cream Group.

Despite the fact that most of the Sziget organizing staff is the same as before, I think that having owners with Live Nation gigs & UK festival experience, is way easier to contact & book acts that are loved in the UK (and maybe this way those acts are also a little bit cheaper to bring on the Island). :D

Edited by #1SzigetFan

The after-festival questionnaire for FIB - Benicassim is asking punters to choose which international band they might like to see next year in 2020. These are the options being provided:

The Killers
Twenty One Pilots
Two Door Cinema Club
Alt J
Florence and the Machine
Post Malone
Neil Young
Bon Iver
The Hives
Biffy Clyro
Tom Odell
Of Monsters And Men
Crystal Fighters
Foster The People
Clean Bandit
Lewis Capaldi
Foals
Die Antwoord
Passion Pit
Bloc Party
The Kooks
Imagine Dragons
Phoenix
Panic At The Disco
Years & Years
Kaiser Chiefs
Bastille
Cut Copy
Hot Chip
Liam Gallagher
MGMT
Billie Eilish
Anne-Marie
Dua Lipa
Rita Ora
Ellie Goulding
Zara Larsson
Cage The Elephant
Halsey
Mabel
Vampire Weekend
Tove Lo
Chance The Rapper
AJ Tracey
Mark Ronson
Troye Sivan
Becky Hill
Royal Blood
Kasabian
Kodaline
Franz Ferdinand
Keane
Snow Patrol
The Black Keys
Green Day
Mumford & Sons
HAIM
Depeche Mode
Pearl Jam
Wilco
Tame Impala
Empire of the Sun
The Vaccines
Wolf Alice
James Bay
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Foo Fighters
Garbage
Mac Demarco
The Libertines
21 savage
Craig David
The Rapture
The Script
Glass Animals
Metronomy
The Lumineers
Mura Masa
Jorga Smith
Futureheads
Charlie Puth
Hozier
Tom Walker
Yo La Tengo
Warpaint
Snoop Dogg
Slaves
Sam Smith
Lizzo
Bazzi
Khalid
Stormzy
Dominic Fike
Aitch
Joel Corry
Lil Tecca
Burna Boy
Lil Nas X
Dermot Kennedy
Normani
Supergrass
Elbow
Thom Yorke
Radiohead
Macklemore

On 8/21/2019 at 7:29 PM, thetime said:

He over did the festival scene this year, cant see him being around next summer.

Final shows of his tour this September. Surely would be a pretty good sell at Sziget because of budapest too - they have that on their side.

I doubt Ariana Grande will be bothered with, I think an issue with Ed was a lot of people didn’t buy 5/7 tickets for him like they would Foos and this would be even worse with Ariana Grande, plus the crowd would be even worse probably ruining the earlier acts like how 21P fans did. Ariana is also extremely expensive and not nearly as accessible as Ed imo. I reckon something like this in order too probably.

Eminem

Kasabian/Liam/similar

The Chemical Brothers - Foals

Tame Impala

Wildcard artist

Billie Eillish

Muse or RHCP (are rhcp even around seems like they are only doing dates off the main circuit)

——

i don’t think that Beni thing means anything they have Glass Animals on there who aren’t touring due to the accident with no current signs of change. Foster the People are also included who are very unlikely along with others like RHCP who are only doing non NA/Europe shows till their next album with a few exceptions - I doubt beni would be one of them. Can’t see Killers touring either and a lot of these acts played last year anyway. These lists are usually just recycled from previous years and are nothing to go by as to who is touring

I was at Bennicasim this year and they done the same thing through social networks and only a few that they had put on the list came to the Festival. It just seems to be a marketing ploy. As much as I loved Benni I plan to return to Sziegt after a year out.  As for the line-up I think they will try and get a big name again for the first night and possible the last night to help the 7-day tickets. They had Pink Kendrick the years before.

I am going to have go for a few that I think will play and maybe a few I hope as well. Biffy have a new album and could be there. Lewis Capaldi/ Gerry Cinnamon would cheap and be a big pull. I think there will be a big female act and we could see Dua back or possibly Sia/Rita/Mable or someone along those lines. Dua pulled in the crowd a few years ago for someone who was only half way up most other festivals. From Benni that I seen this year I would take Blossom, KOL, Gerry and the Hunna were all good. DJ wise Fat Boy slim could come and be okay. I could also see George Ezra come back.

If KOL don’t play I could see the Killers/RHCP or the Black keys. I think there is a good change that Bastille/Kooks/AJ Tracy/Dave/Wolf Alice/One of the Gallagher’s/Stormzy and Imagine dragons will be there. I cannot see Fleetwood Mac/ Macartney or a huge name like that there as it would take away a large chunk off the budget.

My personal hope is for Kasabian/ Lewis Capaldi/ Gerry Cinnamion/One of the Gallaher’s/ Wolf Alice/ P Weller/Killers/BIffy and Blossom.

Edited by Davidoff