Jump to content
vintagelaureate

Boomtown 2020 Chapter 12: New Beginnings

Recommended Posts

If Underworld, Orbital and Squarepusher are on Nucleus; are they going to be on 'after' the Lions Den/Town Centre headliners? 

Kelis is on Lions Den, saw that posted today.

Good to see Snapped Ankles on there too; another left field choice for Boomtown (on a smaller scale!). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

If Underworld, Orbital and Squarepusher are on Nucleus; are they going to be on 'after' the Lions Den/Town Centre headliners? 

Kelis is on Lions Den, saw that posted today.

Good to see Snapped Ankles on there too; another left field choice for Boomtown (on a smaller scale!). 

Lions Den headliners will be Wu-Tang, Kano and Damian Marley I reckon. Not sure on Town Centre. I’m expecting all of the live acts on Nucleus to be on before the new show which if it’s the same as last year should be after the headliners have finished in Town Centre and Lions Den. 

I could be totally wrong though!

Edited by mr flow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

If Underworld, Orbital and Squarepusher are on Nucleus; are they going to be on 'after' the Lions Den/Town Centre headliners? 

Last year Nucleus headline sets were:

Friday: 11pm, Saturday: 1am, Sunday: 10pm

The scheduling on Nucleus and Relic can be a bit unpredictable it's not always "first to last".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mr flow said:

Lions Den headliners will be Wu-Tang, Kano and Damian Marley I reckon. Not sure on Town Centre. I’m expecting all of the live acts on Nucleus to be on before the new show which if it’s the same as last year should be after the headliners have finished in Town Centre and Lions Den. 

I could be totally wrong though!

Town Centre: Flogging Molly, The Libertines and another...? 

Where do you place Pendulum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Town Centre: Flogging Molly, The Libertines and another...? 

Where do you place Pendulum?

Pendulum are headlining Relic

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sku said:

Pendulum are headlining Relic

Cheers, who do you think is the 3rd Town Centre headliner? They don't usually announce any 'bigger' acts on the district posters do they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vintagelaureate said:

Cheers, who do you think is the 3rd Town Centre headliner? They don't usually announce any 'bigger' acts on the district posters do they?

Caravan Palace perhaps? They have headlined town centre before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vintagelaureate said:

Cheers, who do you think is the 3rd Town Centre headliner? They don't usually announce any 'bigger' acts on the district posters do they?

They have a couple of times before like Little Dragon headlining The Lighthouse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone noticed that Orbital and Kool and the Gang aren't showing anywhere on the line up on the official site? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to one of the directors of Boomtown, they have made a late enquiry about Rage against the Machine playing at this years festival. I'm pretty sure nothing with come of it, but interesting none the less. Reading and Leeds don't have an exclusivity in their booking of Rage this year, and they have a gap in their touring schedule over Boomtown weekend...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mr flow said:

According to one of the directors of Boomtown, they have made a late enquiry about Rage against the Machine playing at this years festival. I'm pretty sure nothing with come of it, but interesting none the less. Reading and Leeds don't have an exclusivity in their booking of Rage this year, and they have a gap in their touring schedule over Boomtown weekend...

$$$

Rage would probably cost them more than the whole line up they already put out. If that's the case ticket sales can't be going as well as they making out. 

Unless the members from PoR liked the festival that much last year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

 

Unless the members from PoR liked the festival that much last year

They did. Apparently they said the band loved playing last year, and said it was their favourite festival, and the bands values, political stance, is the same as Boomtown's.

As i say, i don't think it will happen. I also don't think it's a reflection on ticket sales, it's more the once in a lifetime chance for Boomtown to book one of the organisers favourite acts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mr flow said:

They did. Apparently they said the band loved playing last year, and said it was their favourite festival, and the bands values, political stance, is the same as Boomtown's.

As i say, i don't think it will happen. I also don't think it's a reflection on ticket sales, it's more the once in a lifetime chance for Boomtown to book one of the organisers favourite acts.

Lak was in the pit with us lot for PoR so I know he's a big fan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mr flow said:

it's more the once in a lifetime chance for Boomtown to book one of the organisers favourite acts.

some euro-fest promoters have already been saying RATM will be back to Europe next summer, so this year doesn't look like the only chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love for Rage to play but I just don't see it happening. The only way I could see it happening if Rage do a bunch of UK festivals like Glasto, Boomtown, APE etc but I don't think they would tour just the UK like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jump said:

I'd love for Rage to play but I just don't see it happening. The only way I could see it happening if Rage do a bunch of UK festivals like Glasto, Boomtown, APE etc but I don't think they would tour just the UK like that.

that would probably be more likely next year. Have the big pay days for limited shows this year, then tour more extensively next year. Then hiatus again  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

that would probably be more likely next year. Have the big pay days for limited shows this year, then tour more extensively next year. Then hiatus again  

yup, that's what i'm expecting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While the premise license from Winchester Council has had an extra 10k capacity added on to it ready for the 2020 festival, they also still need planning permission from the South Downs National Park for that extra 10k.

That process is currently dragging on and still not resolved, and there is some local opposition kicking up a stink. And so the currently announced lineup will have been budgeted with only the previous capacity in mind.

If in the coming weeks, this extra 10k capacity does get approved by SDNP, they will have a potential 10k extra tickets to shift. Booking an act like RATM would certainly help with that. If it's even possible to book them of course.

It still seems like a long shot, but perhaps it's not totally outside the realms of possibility. Especially given the additional income that could be possibly be generated if the planning permission is granted.

Perhaps 2021 a better chance based on some of the above comments.

Edited by Sku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sku said:

While the premise license from Winchester Council has had an extra 10k capacity added on to it ready for the 2020 festival, they also still need planning permission from the South Downs National Park for that extra 10k.

That process is currently dragging on and still not resolved, and there is some local opposition kicking up a stink. And so the currently announced lineup will have been budgeted with only the previous capacity in mind.

If in the coming weeks, this extra 10k capacity does get approved by SDNP, they will have a potential 10k extra tickets to shift. Booking an act like RATM would certainly help with that. If it's even possible to book them of course.

It still seems like a long shot, but perhaps it's not totally outside the realms of possibility. Especially given the additional income that could be possibly be generated if the planning permission is granted.

Perhaps 2021 a better chance based on some of the above comments.

I was wondering what was happening with that extra 10k. The press releases billing it as the previous capacity, 

If they managed to get the 10k this year I can't see them selling the tickets with the current line up. Its a mid tier festival line up at best with high prices. I love the festival and into the theatrically elements, but you cant sell tickets based on stage designs and story lines alone. Gotta get some more meat on future line ups. They may have to bite the bullet over the next few years and get a heavy weight headliner. I know one mainstream act the booker interested in the next time they active, I can't see the faithful being happy if they do manage to get them though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

I was wondering what was happening with that extra 10k. The press releases billing it as the previous capacity, 

If they managed to get the 10k this year I can't see them selling the tickets with the current line up. Its a mid tier festival line up at best with high prices. I love the festival and into the theatrically elements, but you cant sell tickets based on stage designs and story lines alone. Gotta get some more meat on future line ups. They may have to bite the bullet over the next few years and get a heavy weight headliner. I know one mainstream act the booker interested in the next time they active, I can't see the faithful being happy if they do manage to get them though. 

Unfortunately this is going to become the reality for boomtown and always was going to... Boomtown will sadly have to succumb to some form of commercialisation in terms of the line up and possibly sponsors because financially they simply will not stay afloat.... You are right that they will be unable to sell the festival on production and storylines alone, Im surprised they have managed it until now (I think they have struggled)

I know that this is a controversial thing to say and people will scream blue murder at me but I have said it before and I’ll say it again, boomtown in its current form will not survive much longer unless it accepts commercialism in some form. It’s the brutal reality of the festival industry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jimpsnl said:

Unfortunately this is going to become the reality for boomtown and always was going to... Boomtown will sadly have to succumb to some form of commercialisation in terms of the line up and possibly sponsors because financially they simply will not stay afloat.... You are right that they will be unable to sell the festival on production and storylines alone, Im surprised they have managed it until now (I think they have struggled)

I know that this is a controversial thing to say and people will scream blue murder at me but I have said it before and I’ll say it again, boomtown in its current form will not survive much longer unless it accepts commercialism in some form. It’s the brutal reality of the festival industry

Its a shame because Boomtown (in my opinion) is the best UK festival by some way and I don't consider the line up. I'm hoping they don't go too balls deep with XR and push the vegan agenda, start alienating people from the event.    

I agree something will have to give. If they up-scaling again, line ups will have to improve. They can't sell out their current capacity. I'm not sure what sponsors they could get without going more mainstream, maybe broadcasting the event... 

Edited by JBarbour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

Its a shame because Boomtown (in my opinion) is the best UK festival by some way and I don't consider the line up. I'm hoping they don't go too balls deep with XR and push the vegan agenda, start alienating people from the event.    

I agree something will have to give. If they up-scaling again, line ups will have to improve. They can't sell out their current capacity. I'm not sure what sponsors they could get without going more mainstream, maybe broadcasting the event... 

Well I noticed the BBC at poco loco last year so broadcasting isn’t completely out of the realms of possibility!

I’m with you on Extinction Rebellion and the vegan thing! Whilst it doesn’t bother me too much necessarily, I can see how it will alienate others as people go to the festival to have a good time and already suffer enough agenda pushing via the BBC and other media and really don’t need to hear it all weekend... Also I think people have had quite enough of brexit and I can see them going really really heavy on the remain front this year...

and if Greta turns up on the lions den stage this year I will cringe sorry... We are already without a doubt going to have to sit through her at Glastonbury on the pyramid this year 

Edited by Jimpsnl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jimpsnl said:

Well I noticed the BBC at poco loco last year so broadcasting isn’t completely out of the realms of possibility!

I’m with you on Extinction Rebellion and the vegan thing! Whilst it doesn’t bother me too much necessarily, I can see how it will alienate others as people go to the festival to have a good time and already suffer enough agenda pushing via the BBC and other media and really don’t need to hear it all weekend... Also I think people have had quite enough of brexit and I can see them going really really heavy on the remain front this year...

and if Greta turns up on the lions den stage this year I will cringe sorry... We are already without a doubt going to have to sit through her at Glastonbury on the pyramid this year 

There was a fair few regional and local BBC press there last year as well. 

Oh I hope they don't ram XR and brexit down people's throats this year. There are plenty of other things they could be doing like gender equality on the line up, better waste management on the site, educate people more about taking their shit home, reducing the cars on site, encouraging people to try a meat free day while at the event... 

Unfortunately a quick look at the storyline does look like they are balls deep with XR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

Unfortunately a quick look at the storyline does look like they are balls deep with XR.

Boomtown's "theatrical and narrative director" is also the same person who created the widely photographed Red Brigade for Extinction Rebellion. So they are very closely linked indeed.

Activism is becoming part of the festivals identity, and I for one don't have a problem with that. Though I can see the argument that from a commercial perspective, it might not be the best plan. I'm glad they don't want to sell themselves out though, and am optimistic they can strike the right balance. Educate, don't alienate. I don't think it has been particularly rammed down anyone's throat to date, but it is still an unmistakable presence at the festival. The balance in 2019 felt about right to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...