Boomtown 2020 Chapter 12: New Beginnings

vintagelaureate

Latest statement from Boomtown:

Dearest friends,

What strange times we live in… ❤️❤️❤️

When we dreamt up the ‘State of Emergency’ show for 2020 we could never have predicted we’d be living it in quite such a realistic way, and we want to start by sending our sincerest love and thoughts to absolutely everyone in these really uncertain times. It’s a huge task to navigate through, and for all those working tirelessly on the front line, we stand in absolute awe and solidarity with you all. 

Here is our COVID-19 update as of 26th March 2020:

Whilst we are all living in an ever evolving situation with daily updates from the government drip feeding information and actions out, the world does feel somewhat flipped on its head. There are no clear or definite pathways to be able to see exactly where we’ll be in 2 weeks time, let alone by August...

However, since we are scheduled for the end of summer and that the peak is still expected through May and June; as per our previous statement, we are still working towards being able to bring us all together for an almighty celebration come August, should the situation allow, and of course, we get the all clear for mass gatherings by then.  

Although this entire global situation is rife with uncertainty, one thing we do know, is that the world, and our events industry, will look very different to how it did a few weeks ago… This means we are going to take immediate and decisive action to pre-empt the far reaching knock on effect of this, to do our best to protect the event for our ticket holders, crew, contractors and the wider festival and events industry as a whole.  

As a core team with decades of event experience between us, we’ve been scrutinising all the moving parts that are included in producing such a complex show as ours and consulting with external advisers on the best way forward. After taking all things into consideration we are working towards Boomtown Chapter 12 being a more intimate experience, one that caters for a smaller number of citizens than we have grown to in recent years... 

What does this mean:

Imagine a Boomtown world… A carefully crafted world more intimate than before. Continuing to house spectacular stages with jaw dropping designs and handcrafted sets to lose yourself in. Imagine epic circus shows on the main stages fused with many of the musical entertainers, performance makers and headliner artists who have already been released, imagine a new world bursting with community, comradery and creativity, yet all within a shorter walking distance.

This is the world we are now building,  and it’s immensely exciting! We’re working round the clock on everything that is within our power to bring this to life for us all in August. We will release full details about the reworked plans as and when it is appropriate over the coming months.  

We also know many of you will be wondering about postponement. We would be naive to not also be planning for this and can confirm that all current ticket holders’ tickets will  be valid for the next installment of Boomtown, whenever that may be, if it comes to that.. 

For now, we will continue to focus on positivity, community and proactive things to help us all find a way through what the next few weeks hold for us. Be sure to check in on our social channels for regular updates. 

As always, please look after yourselves, check in on the vulnerable, care for your neighbours, and keep your inner lights shining bright.  We’ll be back with more updates soon.

If you would like any further information then please follow our COVID-19 specific updates here.

Biggest love,

Boomtown

11 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

^ Got to love a bit of blind optimism...... If a smaller event were to happen in August it would be SUCH a party after all this madness.

(Or maybe it's something to do with insurance waiting for a govt directive or to do with govt paying their full time employees the 80%, I don't know)

I think the insurance side of things is in play here. If they are forced to cancel, they will surely be in a much better place to cover on insurance. 

I'm 99% certain it won't go ahead, But as you say, if it does go ahead, it'll be the mother of all parties! 

13 hours ago, dwarfedgiant said:

This is going to go on for another 6 months. Boomtown won't be going ahead this year. All summer festivals will be rolling over current ticket sales to next year, like Glastonbury and as Boomtown has said in their statement. It makes sense. Protecting people is priority really. 

Yep, they have definitely started sowing the seed. Think the last week has shown we are still very much in the escalation phase of this and now the government are starting to suggest 6+ months of social restrictions. I'd be surprised if Boomtown isn't postponed by mid-April now.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 1:10 PM, mjfromthelane said:

They've restructured the payment plans so instead of two more months of £70 payments, it's 3 more of £46. You'd think they would want the money in as soon as possible.

Most festivals don't actually get the money till the fest has started, the tix sales money is kept hold of by the tix agency but they use tix sales as kpi so if they get more sales by have a smaller payment plan it works in their favour still. 

Does anyone "in the know" know if this is still likely to go ahead.  I'm pinning my post-lockdown hopes on being able to go to Boomtown and have a wicked time, after all these weeks of tedium and unrest etc., but some how - despite them not having said anything yet - I don't think it's likely to go ahead?  Idk if it's worth anything but I saw the UK's CMO said something about social distancing, although not necessarily lockdown, lasting into December 😕 I'd rather know sooner than later, as I'm sure most would, to get the disappointment out of the way haha 

1 hour ago, WStoner said:

Does anyone "in the know" know if this is still likely to go ahead.  I'm pinning my post-lockdown hopes on being able to go to Boomtown and have a wicked time, after all these weeks of tedium and unrest etc., but some how - despite them not having said anything yet - I don't think it's likely to go ahead?  Idk if it's worth anything but I saw the UK's CMO said something about social distancing, although not necessarily lockdown, lasting into December 😕 I'd rather know sooner than later, as I'm sure most would, to get the disappointment out of the way haha 

I haven't heard anything official, but i would be absolutely amazed if it happens. 

Boomtown said they were going to go ahead with a smaller scale festival, and that more details would be coming soon. That was almost a month ago now, and they haven't mentioned it again since, or released any of those further details yet. They have ceased all promotion of the festival, and all their social media posts now totally avoid the subject of a "Boomtown 2020".

Their silence on the matter is not exactly encouraging. But what realistically can they do?

It seems clear they are just waiting for the confirmation from the government that they can't go ahead, before announcing the cancellation. In the last few days Germany has extended it's ban on mass gatherings until the end of October. Surely for the benefit of the UK events industry (which is currently stuck in limbo), our government will be forthcoming with their own clarification on such summer events in the near future.

Edited by Sku

14 hours ago, Sku said:

They have ceased all promotion of the festival...

Their silence on the matter is not exactly encouraging. But what realistically can they do?

that's just about the same with every festival that hasn't cancelled yet.

Lots (including Boomtown) have put out "we hope to go ahead" messages, but the more-recent messages like that have also included something along the lines of "we concede it's looking unlikely".

For the festivals still hanging in there, I'd say it's at least worth waiting to see what measures get relaxed when they first get relaxed (in about 2 weeks, probably), which might also give an indication of whether outdoor events later in the summer will be permitted to go ahead.

On 4/23/2020 at 4:20 PM, Sku said:

Boomtown said they were going to go ahead with a smaller scale festival, and that more details would be coming soon. That was almost a month ago now, and they haven't mentioned it again since, or released any of those further details yet. They have ceased all promotion of the festival, and all their social media posts now totally avoid the subject of a "Boomtown 2020".

It seems clear they are just waiting for the confirmation from the government that they can't go ahead, before announcing the cancellation. In the last few days Germany has extended it's ban on mass gatherings until the end of October. Surely for the benefit of the UK events industry (which is currently stuck in limbo), our government will be forthcoming with their own clarification on such summer events in the near future.

As well as government lifting restrictions the festival needs support of the local councils, police forces and need to ensure health and safety on site can be followed. Dont forget festivals need medical facilities in place, how stretched they are at the moment and will be for the foreseeable future.  

Some local councils are revoking licences for festivals.  Some local police forces are refusing to commit resources during the current circumstances. Saying that no idea what the circumstances are with Boomtown

We can hope an event can go ahead this year, but its not likely. 

Edited by JBarbour

To add to the above getting a lineup will be difficult if international travel is restricted or you have to quarantine for 2 weeks on arrival. 

As others have said July/august festivals are probably holding off to see when and how restrictions are lifted. No one except a small group in the government really knows how and when these restrictions will be lifted. 

I assume the festivals are probably going to be making a call towards the end of May when it'll be clearer what the plan is (or if there isn't one appearing)

Does that mean you should give up hope? If it's getting you through lockdown, no. 

Personally gutted as it’s taken me well over 6 years or so to get my shit together enough to enable me to go (due to family and other festival commitments).

Oh well, just like Glasto - at least I’m not missing out on something that is on. 

The correct decision. 

Edited by ian the worm
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2020 at 11:21 AM, dumski said:

Are we likely to see largely the same line up next year do you think?

assuming they can have a festival for 60 thousand people do you think they will? or scale it back a bit?

I think a lot will depend on how many roll there tickets over. If they get a large amount of refund requests, i can see it being scaled back next year.

If they don't scale it back, i would expect to see a similar line up to this year, but a lot will depend on which bands and acts decide to go back out and tour next year.

“A sudden and unexpected five months to explore, learn and develop has opened doors that were almost impossible to step through before...

More details soon... 🌎

Any idea what is meant by this? Apart from me getting excited over anything festival related right now.

even come November I probably still won’t accept that this years festival season is over! 

edit: just thought, it’ll probably be next years lineup? 

Edited by TheFullShaboo

Just now, mr flow said:

I think it's more to do with the fact they have 5 months of extra prep for next years festival. However, they've said it in a way that will keep people guessing and talking about the festival.

Ahh. Certainly worked, our boomtown chat was kicking off again moments after they posted 😂  

On 5/28/2020 at 12:31 PM, TheFullShaboo said:

“A sudden and unexpected five months to explore, learn and develop has opened doors that were almost impossible to step through before...

More details soon... 🌎

Yep, this means nothing, but for those who are not too intelligent, makes them tag their friends names under the Facebook post and think something is happening when it isnt- its just a way of saying "well, we may well go bankrupt but if not as least we've got more time to plan for next year now". 

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Smashed Heron said:

Yep, this means nothing, but for those who are not too intelligent, makes them tag their friends names under the Facebook post and think something is happening when it isnt- its just a way of saying "well, we may well go bankrupt but if not as least we've got more time to plan for next year now". 

haha thanks - will pass on your kind words to my friends