Boomtown 2020 Chapter 12: New Beginnings

vintagelaureate

On 12/7/2019 at 1:25 PM, Sku said:

It seems like it yes.

The festival previously have mentioned they weren't that happy with how the reserved camping system was working, and that it wasted a lot of space. They tried reducing the pitch sizes this year, but this obviously upset people.

I think the new plan is that Camp Orchid has effectively replaced the concept of reserved camping. Your exact pitch isn't reserved, but you are guaranteed enough space somewhere within the supposedly "spacious" gated Camp Orchid campsite. Also you now get facilities, which wasn't included with reserved camping before. A big obvious downside is that the location is not as good as that prime spot next to the Lions Den.

It's only about £10 more than reserved camping was last year, and with the toilets and showers thrown in, feels like an upgrade to me. But the loss of that prime location next to the Lions Den is a shame.

The beauty of reserved camping was it was £45 per pitch, not per person. We got 5 tents over 2 pitches so if you’re arriving Thursday it’s an absolute god send if you don’t wanna be miles out. I don’t think they advertised it very well, ended up being about £13 each to have the best campsite location guaranteed. 

It was less than half full though so not the best return for boomtown, plus everyone camped there got their tents robbed so swings and roundabouts. 

21 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I like this drip feed...

Noisia will go down well on Relic!!

Where do you see Flogging Molly placing? Not headliners? Second/third down? 

Hoping for a headliner (Lions Den) announcement soon...

I'd expect Flogging Molly to headline town centre. I could be wrong though.

6 hours ago, mr flow said:

Haha.

I'm pretty confident Aphex will play, but as we saw with the Prodigy last year, things can change quickly behind the scenes, so until it's announced it's never a sure thing.

Oo, what is your Aphex Twin source?  Or is it just a hunch?  haha

15 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Just out, 2020 going to be a multi stage total immersive program that has never been seen before, the best in the world.

I actually believe it.

Yeah, one of the organisers on Facebook said that their biggest headliner this year will be their new investment into the uks independent circus, theatre and art scenes, on a scale never been done before.

Sounds interesting.

3 hours ago, mr flow said:

Yeah, one of the organisers on Facebook said that their biggest headliner this year will be their new investment into the uks independent circus, theatre and art scenes, on a scale never been done before.

Sounds interesting.

So you mean it’s going to be for things OUTSIDE of the festival in the circus theatre and art scene? I really hope not as that would be a massive disappointment.

58 minutes ago, Jimpsnl said:

So you mean it’s going to be for things OUTSIDE of the festival in the circus theatre and art scene? I really hope not as that would be a massive disappointment.

I took it as bringing more of those elements into the festival, which in turn invests in them.

1 hour ago, Jimpsnl said:

No. They are bringing it to the festival. The theatrical side of things will be notched up by 100.