Boomtown 2020 Chapter 12: New Beginnings

vintagelaureate

3 hours ago, WStoner said:

Ok...?  I'm not sure what that has to do with the main point of what I said?  

It's fairly obvious I was talking about your Prophets Of Rage remarks only. If you want I could bring up that the festival has a history of having metal like Napalm Death, Limp Bizkit, Skindred etc and the extravagance of Slipknot cosplaying might actually mash well with the festival but it's fairly clear they are too big for Boomtown and it was not a direction I fancied talking the discussion to.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, jump said:

It's fairly obvious I was talking about your Prophets Of Rage remarks only. If you want I could bring up that the festival has a history of having metal like Napalm Death, Limp Bizkit, Skindred etc and the extravagance of Slipknot cosplaying might actually mash well with the festival but it's fairly clear they are too big for Boomtown and it was not a direction I fancied talking the discussion to.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Thought there would be potential scope for a band that big considering Gorillaz headlined before but that is also a much more direct link to a Boomtown crowd I suppose. Curious what peoples thoughts on other potential metal headliners are for Boomtown though? Just because that's the main reason id chose Boomtown over other ravey kind of festivals (2020 will be my first boomtown)

20 hours ago, WStoner said:

Oh that's fun, I wonder if it'll be a mix of big and small acts or just bigger 'name' acts 

I don't have any info on what's being announced, but i suspect it will be a biggish name from each of the main stages, so Lions Den, Town Centre, Relic and Nucleus and perhaps Disorder alley.

Something for everyone, and builds up the excitement levels.

17 hours ago, bleegghh said:

This is exactly what I was thinking. Thought there would be potential scope for a band that big considering Gorillaz headlined before but that is also a much more direct link to a Boomtown crowd I suppose. Curious what peoples thoughts on other potential metal headliners are for Boomtown though? Just because that's the main reason id chose Boomtown over other ravey kind of festivals (2020 will be my first boomtown)

I'd be more than happy with a metal headliner. I'm not a metal fan, but depending on who it is, i'd probably go and check them out, as festivals are a great opportunity to see someone you wouldn't normally and potentially open up a whole new genre for you to explore.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:44 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Marilyn Manson would go down well!

I'm not keen on Manson myself, the last two times I've seen him his voice has been completely gone. 

I reckon Babymetal, Rob Zombie and Ghost would go down well but are a bit on the pricey side. Bullet for My Valentine seem to be willing to do smaller fests so I could see them as Town Centre headliners.

Town Centre: Gary Numan, Bloc Party, Meshuggah, Idles, Black Peaks and Vengaboys. 

Earache: Death Grips, Carpenter Brut, Mayhem, Black Midi, Shame, Venom Prison, Womrot and Svalbard. 

Hanger 161: U. K Subs, The Selector, Wonk Unit, DITZ, Strange Bones and Metz

Lions Den: Wu-Tung Clan, Run The Jewels, Scarlxrd, Plan B and Example. 

Town Centre: Gary Numan, Bloc Party, Meshuggah, Idles, Black Peaks and Vengaboys. 

Earache: Death Grips, Carpenter Brut, Mayhem, Black Midi, Shame, Venom Prison, Womrot and Svalbard. 

10 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

Does it seem like they offing Springs? 

https://www.boomtownfair.co.uk/info/sleeping/

Seems like they splitting Springs into giving Camp Skylark more facilities at Lions Den and the springs space going to Camp Orchid. Could be wrong though. 

You've got it right.

All "glamping" pre-pitched is now under the Camp Skylark banner. It was a bit confusing having Springs and Skylark basically doing the same thing, but at wildly different price points. The festival have taken feedback on board.

Camp Orchid is in the Springs location, and combines the old "Skylark BYO" and "Zooloo pass" into one deal. £65 for a spacious campsite where you bring your own tent, you get exclusive showers and toilets on your doorstep, as well as access to both Zooloo blocks. Seems like a winner value for money wise compared to anything offered last year.

26 minutes ago, Sku said:

You've got it right.

All "glamping" pre-pitched is now under the Camp Skylark banner. It was a bit confusing having Springs and Skylark basically doing the same thing, but at wildly different price points. The festival have taken feedback on board.

Camp Orchid is in the Springs location, and combines the old "Skylark BYO" and "Zooloo pass" into one deal. £65 for a spacious campsite where you bring your own tent, you get exclusive showers and toilets on your doorstep, as well as access to both Zooloo blocks. Seems like a winner value for money wise compared to anything offered last year.

Oh that sucks a bit. Loved Springs. The location, the bar/cafe, pre pitch. It ticked a lot of boxes. 

On 12/2/2019 at 7:27 PM, Alex Winstone said:

Numan...such a good call ?

On 12/3/2019 at 9:33 PM, Sku said:

You've got it right.

So I can’t see any mention of the “reserved camping” by lions den, is that gone?

15 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

So I can’t see any mention of the “reserved camping” by lions den, is that gone?

It seems like it yes.

The festival previously have mentioned they weren't that happy with how the reserved camping system was working, and that it wasted a lot of space. They tried reducing the pitch sizes this year, but this obviously upset people.

I think the new plan is that Camp Orchid has effectively replaced the concept of reserved camping. Your exact pitch isn't reserved, but you are guaranteed enough space somewhere within the supposedly "spacious" gated Camp Orchid campsite. Also you now get facilities, which wasn't included with reserved camping before. A big obvious downside is that the location is not as good as that prime spot next to the Lions Den.

It's only about £10 more than reserved camping was last year, and with the toilets and showers thrown in, feels like an upgrade to me. But the loss of that prime location next to the Lions Den is a shame.