Boomtown 2020 Chapter 12: New Beginnings

vintagelaureate

Last minute ticket joy meant I got to enjoy 2 days of it. Insanely good again. 

Wish list 

Lions den- Ini Kamoze

Busy Signal
Ras Demo
Lile ike
Nesbeth
Christopher Martin
Agent Sasco
Barrington Levy (finally)
Beres Hammond 
Massive attack 
Jungle - Roni Size Reprezent  
Adam F - F Jams
Potential bad boy 
MC Fearless
Town Centre/ Copper County - 
Pop Will Eat Itself
Miles Hunt & Erica Nockalls or Wonderstuff 
Jim bob aka Carter USM

whoever said Weezer, that’s a great idea! 

On 8/31/2019 at 11:43 PM, Steve1000 said:

Imma go for Weezer as one of them

Just announced on tour with Green day & fall out boy.  they could in theory squeeze them in on Friday 14th August but not likely :(

https://www.nme.com/news/music/green-day-weezer-fall-out-boy-joint-tour-new-songs-album-interview-tickets-2546517

1 hour ago, dumski said:

Just announced on tour with Green day & fall out boy.  they could in theory squeeze them in on Friday 14th August but not likely :(

https://www.nme.com/news/music/green-day-weezer-fall-out-boy-joint-tour-new-songs-album-interview-tickets-2546517

Really, really couldn't ever have seen Weezer at this, even before this tour got announced.

I could see Weezer as a Town Centre headliner at a stretch with the increased capacity.

Speaking of increased capacity I reckon the smaller stages will have stronger line ups next year rather than bigger headliners, I can see them wanting to get people to spread out more to the smaller stages and areas rather than an extra blob of people on the main ones. 

1 hour ago, jump said:

I could see Weezer as a Town Centre headliner at a stretch with the increased capacity.

Speaking of increased capacity I reckon the smaller stages will have stronger line ups next year rather than bigger headliners, I can see them wanting to get people to spread out more to the smaller stages and areas rather than an extra blob of people on the main ones. 

I'd love to see them make the Earache stage bigger and start putting some bigger bands in that. Saying that, in 2018 there were a lot of times it really wasn't all that full, especially for some of the bigger bands like Soulfly and Earth Crisis. So maybe there isn't the market for it? What were the crowds like for it this year? 

6 minutes ago, Traher666 said:

I'd love to see them make the Earache stage bigger and start putting some bigger bands in that. Saying that, in 2018 there were a lot of times it really wasn't all that full, especially for some of the bigger bands like Soulfly and Earth Crisis. So maybe there isn't the market for it? What were the crowds like for it this year? 

It was never full but they did have decent enough crowds, the crowds always seem to pop up after the bands start playing for some reason. However I only saw Milk Teeth (who were surprisingly poor compared to what they were like at other fests this year), Black Futures (FUCKING AMAZING!) and Nova Twins at Earache, I really wanted to see Kamiyada, Napalm Death and Crossfaith but they clashed with others tho. 

Tbh I gravitate towards uptown and the punk stages rather than Earache myself, Riskee & The Ridicule got their stage full and that ska stage was always full when music was playing.

5 hours ago, jump said:

However I only saw Milk Teeth (who were surprisingly poor compared to what they were like at other fests this year)

Just seen that Oli has left the band and for me, a lot of the energy came from him. I always found him interesting to watch. Awesome drummer.  

15 hours ago, jump said:

It was never full but they did have decent enough crowds, the crowds always seem to pop up after the bands start playing for some reason. However I only saw Milk Teeth (who were surprisingly poor compared to what they were like at other fests this year), Black Futures (FUCKING AMAZING!) and Nova Twins at Earache, I really wanted to see Kamiyada, Napalm Death and Crossfaith but they clashed with others tho. 

Tbh I gravitate towards uptown and the punk stages rather than Earache myself, Riskee & The Ridicule got their stage full and that ska stage was always full when music was playing.

I went off Milk Teeth for a long while, saw them support Pup in April and they were really good! I'd say i'd like them to make Hangar 161 bigger, but they are already getting some pretty big bands in there. Was shocked pennywise was in there rather than Town Centre.

45 minutes ago, Traher666 said:

I went off Milk Teeth for a long while, saw them support Pup in April and they were really good! I'd say i'd like them to make Hangar 161 bigger, but they are already getting some pretty big bands in there. Was shocked pennywise was in there rather than Town Centre.

Pennywise deserve respect but they aren't actually that big, they normally play Islington Academy on their UK tours which is less than 1k which is about on par with the normal lot of headliners they have.

11 hours ago, stuie said:

Just seen that Oli has left the band and for me, a lot of the energy came from him. I always found him interesting to watch. Awesome drummer.  

Milk Teeth are starting to become a bit Spinal Tap with their line up changes, they just has an exodus last year with two members leaving.

19 hours ago, jump said:

From what i have heard, this is probably going to be the way they go.

5 hours ago, jump said:

Pennywise deserve respect but they aren't actually that big, they normally play Islington Academy on their UK tours which is less than 1k which is about on par with the normal lot of headliners they have.

I kind of forget it isn't 2002 - 2006 anymore. Every time I have seen Pennywise (the last time was a long time ago) I always just assume they are still a credibly relevant band.

38 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I have never seen a lions den headliner. To be honest, I am not a fan of that stage. I have only seen the opening ceremony in 2018 and Groove Armada there.

I would be happy with a few bigger names around the place. Town Centre needs a few stronger names throughout the day in my opinion.

I saw Cypress Hill in 2017 and that's the only act I have ever seen on it. Would be great for the town centre to have stronger names on it, I find they always have one or two decent names on it and then just a bunch of filler.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:26 PM, Traher666 said:

I saw Cypress Hill in 2017 and that's the only act I have ever seen on it. Would be great for the town centre to have stronger names on it, I find they always have one or two decent names on it and then just a bunch of filler.

The thing is The Town Centre doesn't feel that big of a stage though, it's always rammed for the headliners but the lower acts it's always spacious  so it works for the acts it does have. I actually really liked the undercard for Town Centre myself, whilst they aren't names I can usually go there enjoy whatever is on.

11 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Why has the official after film been taken down? Says copyright claim by Manesh De Moor, did they not have permission to use his music?

I'd guess there's a music rights violation like that, yeah.

Quite possibly because the act said it's fine to use his music but the rights to his music have been sold to someone else* who wants to collect on the rights he's bought.

(*which is quite common, it's a way of an act getting money upfront)

11 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Why has the official after film been taken down? Says copyright claim by Manesh De Moor, did they not have permission to use his music?

There's a massive copyright war going on with online videos at the minute. Lots of YT videos in particular are being taken down because whilst the video creator got permission from the artists or the copyright owner of the song, someone else owns the copyright to a individual part of the song (samples) and so can claim copyright on that. It's been burning video game content creators for the past 6 months with their videos getting pulled because their mate's said they can use their song, but their mates also sampled from someone else in that song which they (content creator) need permission to use also. 

Unfortunately YTS rights process is as soon as the copyright claim is lodged then essentially the video is demonitized and/or taken down, sometimes the channel is also shut, which is propagating malicious copyright claims as well.