Community Service for Ticket

Superscally

9 hours ago, carlosj said:

I agree on investing more of our time in our community (where the community isn't necessarily a physical one around each person) but from an IT and admin perspective, it would be harder and more expensive than what's in place already, and potentially liable to abuse. Pedantically, I'd have to point out your comment on earning the right to go jars a bit with the next sentence of just walking into a shop to buy them over the counter.

Ah I meant that the opportunity be there, trust me, it wouldn't be easy these days - people would be queuing round the block. I'd like the opportunity to do so. ?

I think this would be a dreadful idea ,people who go are from all walks of life with varying degrees of abilities so would discriminate from the start.

I'm happy with the way tickets are sold now as it's part of the fun ..ticket day stress.. I've been lucky and unlucky .

I certainly wouldn't do any more community based projects  just to get a head start into the festival

I like to choose my projects and they invariably involve animal charities so if I had more time it would be spent with them rather than some project that someone else deemed more important to gain access over someone else 

10 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'd say that the intention behind the original suggestion is an honourable one at base level, but as others have suggested, it would exclude some people who there is no right to exclude, and may well be excluded harshly in other areas of life, as it is.

I think that Rufus summed it up succinctly in that if you want to help the community then just do it . There should be no 'physical' evidence of reward for doing so.

I used to go litter picking at weekends on my own around a reservoir, as it infuriated me so much that the nature around the reservoir was being spoilt by litter. I did it for that long that some anglers actually thought that I was the warden for the reservoir. I gave up in the end, as I realised that I was just pissing in the wind. Ho hum.

A group of us near my local park go litter picking fairly regularly.  It really does make a difference, very satisfying to bag some crisp packets that have clearly been there for years.  I spend a whole morning on one hedge last time.  Took ages, but it was bloody tidy by the time I'd finished!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, babyblade41 said:

I think this would be a dreadful idea ,people who go are from all walks of life with varying degrees of abilities so would discriminate from the start.

I'm happy with the way tickets are sold now as it's part of the fun ..ticket day stress.. I've been lucky and unlucky .

I certainly wouldn't do any more community based projects  just to get a head start into the festival

I like to choose my projects and they invariably involve animal charities so if I had more time it would be spent with them rather than some project that someone else deemed more important to gain access over someone else 

Point 1: It's possible to do online volunteering. That would allow almost everyone who goes to the festival to do something if they chose.

Points 2 + 3: Fair enough. Your call.

Point 4: It's not unreasonable for the festival to choose projects that it itself endorses if it chose to.

I'm not banging the drum without consideration here, it's clear from people's responses that it wouldn't be workable on the total scale, but it would certainly be doable as a proportion. 

40 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

A group of us near my local park go litter picking fairly regularly.  It really does make a difference, very satisfying to bag some crisp packets that have clearly been there for years.  I spend a whole morning on one hedge last time.  Took ages, but it was bloody tidy by the time I'd finished!

I’m going to do this. I live a couple of minutes walk from the local recreation ground. Don’t often go there now that our kids are grown up and don’t need bike riding lessons or kick arounds any more. I’ll try and do it without getting noticed though; generally don’t like stopping to chat with strangers...only at Glasto ?

21 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

How would that be fair on people on low incomes (or even people on hefty incomes) who don't have the time to spare because their job/s require a lot of hours? Or people with childcare responsibilities or care roles? Or people who live in areas with no certified community service orgs? 

I wouldn't really want to go if you have to prove yourself worthy, it's a festival not some sort of godly judgement 

While you're right, it's a far better idea idea than many of the suggestions here that essentially boil down to: give away your time to get a ticket. Anyone who supports the idea of "going back to the days we queued outside of HMV" is essentially in favour of the same thing. As are those who want the tickets to be sold loads more slowly so it takes ten hours to get through. All the exact same objections for availability of time apply

12 hours ago, Superscally said:

The best volunteers are, of course. However, extra help is extra help.

It doesn't really work like that. Most "help" requires some level of skill, there's very few things a volunteer can straight up do without training (and many that could be done still legally necessitate some sort of training). Then a lot of the time you have to then be monitoring to see that they're doing it right.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

My problem was that it was only me doing it, and it was a large reservoir. The thing that annoyed me the most was that the vast proportion of the litter hadn't blown there, or been dropped by casual walkers. It was, without doubt, the fishermen (i never saw a woman angler there) themselves that were littering the banks. A few of them thanked me over the weeks, but I felt like shouting at them, that I wouldn't bloody need to be doing this if your lot cleaned up after the use of the reservoir. I don't understand how you'd look forward to a day's fishing in a nice location, and then go and litter that location, so that it increasingly doesn't look like a nice place to fish. It's a bit like those blokes who piss on pub bog seats. Don't they realise that they too will need a shit at some point in their pub career, and will undoubtedly be maddened if they find a pissed on toilet seat?

Anyway, every Saturday / Sunday, i was having to provide my own bin bags ( not much of a problem there), then haul them all the way around the reservoir, so that I could put them next to the proper bins. Oh, and I had to fill the bags too. Every week i'd return and have to start the same old process off again.

I guess I could have tried to set up a Friends of the reservoir litter picking group, but then I'd have been in danger of making new friends! The previous time I tried to make a new friend before that the bloke in question tried his damnedest to get in to my pants, and, presumably, his dick up my arse. Once bitten, and all that. 

so in order for me to get a ticket I would have to do work , and either take holidays (so wouldn't get to spend them holidays with my family) or do weekend or evenings again (wouldn't get to spend time with my family)

so anyone without a job, or a student would be prioritized and anyone with a job and a family with be penalized,

how about a first come first served basis, you all register and go on line on ticket day and try and get a ticket. it may sound like blue sky thinking but tally ho it might just work

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shuttlep said:

so in order for me to get a ticket I would have to do work , and either take holidays (so wouldn't get to spend them holidays with my family) or do weekend or evenings again (wouldn't get to spend time with my family)

so anyone without a job, or a student would be prioritized and anyone with a job and a family with be penalized,

how about a first come first served basis, you all register and go on line on ticket day and try and get a ticket. it may sound like blue sky thinking but tally ho it might just work

I have a job and a family and do charity work. Seem to fit it all in ok. 

3 minutes ago, Superscally said:

What's that? 

Getting the coach to the festival!

Going back to the original post, community service in exchange for entry is already available - you can give your time to Oxfam, Wateraid or Greenpeace in exchange for a ticket and early entry to the festival site.

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

Getting the coach to the festival!

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

Going back to the original post, community service in exchange for entry is already available - you can give your time to Oxfam, Wateraid or Greenpeace in exchange for a ticket and early entry to the festival site.

That's hardly a commitment. Many people prefer it to driving themselves. 

Also, in-festival volunteering is something completely different. A worthwhile endeavour, but a vastly different experience.

No one has more of a right to be there than anyone else (sans having a ticket or not). Whether you spend all your free time doing charity or community work, or obsessing on here all the time or anything like that, no one should have a easier route to a ticket than someone who happened to catch a bit on tv and fancies giving it a go.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, shuttlep said:

That's a really weird take on having a family.

5 hours ago, SighMo said:

I’m going to do this. I live a couple of minutes walk from the local recreation ground. Don’t often go there now that our kids are grown up and don’t need bike riding lessons or kick arounds any more. I’ll try and do it without getting noticed though; generally don’t like stopping to chat with strangers...only at Glasto ?

I think the organisers contacted the council and got given some bags and litter grabber stick - they make a huge difference.

5 hours ago, DeanoL said:

It doesn't really work like that. Most "help" requires some level of skill, there's very few things a volunteer can straight up do without training (and many that could be done still legally necessitate some sort of training). Then a lot of the time you have to then be monitoring to see that they're doing it right.

Absolutely this. We occasionally have DofE students and we accept some to help them out with their awards and personal growth etc, but the truth is their volunteering hours often don't help us at the charity out that much necessarily.

Long-term placements do but when it is short term the time for training and monitoring etc can outweigh the work they do. As a lot of the Glastonbury volunteers under this proposal would definitely just be 'passing through' to get a ticket, it could create all types of issues. 

Plus as has been mentioned, the monitoring and administration of this system would cost ££££ which would be taken away from the good causes. The idea is well intentioned but it's just not a practical idea, before you even get to the moral side of it.

Edited by strummer77